Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
I really kind of want this trade to happen now. I'm really excited at the possibility of all these young arms panning out, plus I'd love to than see Kenny go out and sign an Abreu & Furcal or a Dunn & Furcal. Man would that be awesome.

No idea how the team will pan out next year cause with Bailey you have no idea, the rotation might just go up in flames, but man would there be some fun young players on this squad and there I love watching young players develop and perform (hopefully they perform).

I completely agree with wanting this to happen. I love Dye, he's a great player and as previously stated, a proven wnner. But I just love having a younger team, and Homer Bailey, although "given up on," he is 22 years old, he's got time to pan out into something awesome. I'd love for him to pan out in a White Sox uni.

Guys, don't feed the trolls. It's probably just some Cubs fan or random internet douche trying to piss people off, because saying Dye is trash and lots of people won't miss him is obviously flame bait. He's done nothing but produce his whole time here, and the only year he could be considered a disappointment was 2007 -- when he was still pretty productive. Obviously his production is in decline, since he's in his mid-30s, and that's the main reason we should trade him now, but not because he's "trash".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
I really kind of want this trade to happen now. I'm really excited at the possibility of all these young arms panning out, plus I'd love to than see Kenny go out and sign an Abreu & Furcal or a Dunn & Furcal. Man would that be awesome.

No idea how the team will pan out next year cause with Bailey you have no idea, the rotation might just go up in flames, but man would there be some fun young players on this squad and there I love watching young players develop and perform (hopefully they perform).

I'm definitley excited by the possibilities of getting Bailey. The thing the thing I don't like about your scenario is that I'd prefer a trade for Roberts and signing Dunn rather than Furcal or Abreu. With trading for Roberts, Beckham isn't blocked and we get two supplemental draft picks after this year. I'd really like to see what the kid can do.

Edited by jenks45monster

Look at Bailey's minor league numbers. While throwing fewer Fastballs his numbers haven't been awful. Plus he's incredibly young for his league and it is typically a notorious hitters league. He isn't giving up a ton of hits and he's still getting a good number of strike-outs. If he still has velocity on his FB just that and his power curve alone is enough to make him a potential #3 and if all goes well he definately has the secondary pitches to be as good as an ace (assuming he still has his good hard FB which can top in at 95 MPH).

Ok I am going to back up the majority of this site by saying anyone who thinks JD is trash or won't be missed should just move their interests to the North Side. This totally sounds like something a Cubs fan would say about a player because they barely understand the game. Jermaine has always been a class act and has demonstrated to the organization and the game of baseball that it doesn't take steroids to be a consistent player. I am totally indifferent about the trade because yes I love Dye, but if it brings us something back then I'll be ok. But that is a big IF? Nobody knows exactly what Kenny's plan is and I am starting to get this bad feeling that Jerry is going to be rather cheap this year. If we trade Jermaine and obtain Homer..then go off and trade Jenks for some young unproven guy, the 2009 season will be a disaster. This meaning we don't go out and sign any veteran guys. In 2005 we traded and let guys go obtaining decent salaries to obtain replacements in the veteran category with AJ and Dye. The part that kills me is that I would rather see almost anyone else traded on the team besides Jermaine. Konerko is the first one that comes to mind. I just pray and hope with whatever happens that we obtain a couple of guys to really help this club. If not I will not be attending 0 games next season!

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Ryan Freel f***ing sucks. We have enough grinders with little offensive talent.

Freel and Ibanez are both Cuban American. I like Ibanez for the Sox because he is lefty. Freel no thank you.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
the 2009 season will be a disaster. This meaning we don't go out and sign any veteran guys.

What are Thome, Konerko, Buehrle, AJ, Dotel, Carrasco, and Linebrink going to be doing when all the young hooligans are gallivanting about? I think they’ll be winning baseball games.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
It's funny how articles such as this have JD gone. (This one by Jayson Stark)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...rumblings081207

I think this is a done deal, but it just is on hold for whatever reason but will be announced later.

That article was posted yesterday before the latest round of rumors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Poor Richard?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Shocking development guys. I just looked it up and Richard/Poreda is an anagram for A CAD HERD PRIOR. I think we have a promiscuous injury prone pitcher, who does what he’s told.

Edited by Thunderbolt

This seems like a deal that's been discussed at length and is or was very close to being done, but a number of things came up, especially the salary situations, and that this deal is at a point where it can still get done but it's not so far along that something has to come out of it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this rumors does just blow away in the wind.

I will say that David Weathers, who Dick brought up a while earlier, is interesting in this all. The Sox generally never give cash in a deal, but they will take on contracts. I'm personally wondering if there isn't a possibility of this turning into a 5 player deal with the Sox dealing Dye and another player for Bailey, Weathers, and another. We'll just have to see how this plays out within the next week.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
This seems like a deal that's been discussed at length and is or was very close to being done, but a number of things came up, especially the salary situations, and that this deal is at a point where it can still get done but it's not so far along that something has to come out of it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this rumors does just blow away in the wind.

I will say that David Weathers, who Dick brought up a while earlier, is interesting in this all. The Sox generally never give cash in a deal, but they will take on contracts. I'm personally wondering if there isn't a possibility of this turning into a 5 player deal with the Sox dealing Dye and another player for Bailey, Weathers, and another. We'll just have to see how this plays out within the next week.

And with each passing day and each added player, it seems less and less likely to get done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)

Weathers would have to go through the arbitration (?), then agree to be dealt. That would take a month.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Has Hal McCoy reacted to all this denial of what his source is telling him? Has he defended his story or his source at all?

I think this has been shot down and it's only on that site still because it's getting hits.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Has Hal McCoy reacted to all this denial of what his source is telling him? Has he defended his story or his source at all?

I looked up the story on his paper's website and did not see any new info. I did, however, send him an email asking if there was any new info after the denial of the deal by both teams. I will share it if I get an answer from him. On a side note I could not believe how poorly moderated their comments are... Some people are raging assholes in their comments to and about McCoy, and they left them all up there for all to see. HOpefully they go through it and delete lots of the hateful stuff.

This is from MLB Blog Rumors:

Interesting that the Reds want to trade Bailey because of their concerns he will ever throw strikes consistently and the folks think Sox are only too willing to take hiim on and give up a top player for the guy. I agree that Dye-Thome and/or Konerko might get traded, but we should expect value for them in return. Bailey by himself doesn't even approach J Dye talent wise. Bailey trade talk would seem more in the line of a potential starting OF'er or a 4th or 5th OF'er on the team and not a starter with 35-45 homer 100 plus RBI history

Stay on top of all the latest offseason moves and Hot Stove rumors with MLB.com's team of writers.Results tagged “White Sox” from Hot Stove Blog

Dye-for-Bailey not dead yet?

I know GM Walt Jocketty has denied the rumors about the Reds sending young pitcher Homer Bailey to the White Sox for OF Jermaine Dye publicly, but don't be shocked if Homer does get dealt at some point. Some folks have said there's some truth to the Dye-for-Bailey rumor and here's why: The Reds need a right-handed No. 3 hitter to put between the young guys (Votto and Bruce). Dye and Reds manager Dusty Baker know each other well and get along. The Reds are not sure Bailey will ever throw strikes consistently because of too much length in his arm action. That also might keep him from finding consistency with his breaking ball. Add into the mix that there's pressure from Reds ownership on Jocketty to make something happen and it's possible this isn't done yet.

-- Jonathan Mayo

Posted on December 8, 2008 at 1:12 PMPermalinkComments (0)

Tags: Homer Bailey, Jermaine Dye, Reds, White Sox

Report any abuse or spam

Jocketty denies Dye-Bailey rumor

On Sunday night, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty categorically denied a report from the Dayton Daily News that young starting pitcher Homer Bailey was traded to the White Sox for outfielder Jermaine Dye. The story cited an anonymous source saying the deal was done and would be announced by the end of the week.

"Wrong. It's not even close," Jocketty said of the rumor.

There have been talks between the Reds and White Sox involving Dye, but they do not appear to be currently active.

"We haven't had any discussions with the White Sox since before Thanksgiving," Jocketty told MLB.com.

-- Mark Sheldon

Posted on December 7, 2008 at 10:49 PMPermalinkComments (0)

Tags: Homer Bailey, Jermaine Dye, Reds, Walt Jocketty, White Sox

Report any abuse or spam