Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...n-decision.html

All signs seem to be pointing to Detroit, especially with AJP bringing up the Spring Training location issue. At this point, I just want a decision. I still think Blalock could be a cheaper, and potentially better option.

Read it more carefully. Someone ASKED AJ if that was a factor, he said he had no idea. So its only an issue in the mind of some reporter.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)

What, you mean that Pierre is the only player who doesn't put up the exact same numbers every month? Say it ain't so!

Pierre put up a .455 OBP in March/Arpil, a .435 OBP in may, and a .413 OBP in August. Those three months accounted for 262 of his 380 at-bats, and that's pretty freaking impressive for a guy who didn't play regularly for much of the season. Some of you people need to do your homework before posting.

Yeah, I basically agree that, aside from roster and defensive issues, having Damon and AGon on the Sox would be a good thing. My overarching point is that you're way too focused on DH, OBP/OPS, and 2010. If you take DH out of the equation, the lineup isn't that bad at all. The Sox also have a team with much better pitching and much better defense than the vast majority of last year. A healthy Quentin and a productive Rios alone will ensure that they're better than 12th of 14th in offensive production.

So when can we expect to see this bizzaro 8 man lineup baseball?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
No, I think I'll ignore your elitist rhetoric, incorrect statements, and flawed statistical analysis instead.

I'm going to apologize for my tone. At the time of the posting, i'd just gotten word of my grad on an Econ quiz, needless to say it wasn't great. I will not, however, ignore the fact that Pierre really hasn't been a good player for the last few years outside of a two month stint last year, i don't think you should ignore that either.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...n-decision.html

All signs seem to be pointing to Detroit, especially with AJP bringing up the Spring Training location issue. At this point, I just want a decision. I still think Blalock could be a cheaper, and potentially better option.

I like Blalock next year in the Cell, I think he bounces back.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)

What, you mean that Pierre is the only player who doesn't put up the exact same numbers every month? Say it ain't so!

Pierre put up a .455 OBP in March/Arpil, a .435 OBP in may, and a .413 OBP in August. Those three months accounted for 262 of his 380 at-bats, and that's pretty freaking impressive for a guy who didn't play regularly for much of the season. Some of you people need to do your homework before posting.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
No, I think I'll ignore your elitist rhetoric, incorrect statements, and flawed statistical analysis instead.

March/april = 20 at-bats, may = 111 at-bats, august 41 at-bats... in all that is 172... 90 off of your total. You added his may, june, and august at-bat totals together.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
So Kenny 'will talk about this on sunday'. Is that after or before he signs with Detroit? Heyman thinks it will likely be Detroit because of money. Cowley still has the sox as front funners. Mark Gonzales' source that says 'they have a good shot at getting him'. A Rosenthal source believes that a deal may be close with the Sox. Bruce Levine doesn't think its going to happen.

Okay so what the hell is going on? Why wait until Sunday to talk Kenny? Is that his unofficial deadline to make a deal? Who has the most reliable sources?

Here is what's going on:

Yesterday the Sox made some adjustments and officially presented their best offer. As of today, nothing has changed. The Sox and Boras are in a stand-still. That is to be expected. It is absolutely the way to play this. Boras is trying to bleed them and Kenny was told by Reinsdorf that the $4.5M w/deferrals is a final offer. Last night Kenny stepped past Hahn back into the discussions and imposed a Sunday decision deadline from Damon himself. The Sox want this decided by when they start ST.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
I'm going to apologize for my tone.

Fair enough. I apologize for mine as well.

At the time of the posting, i'd just gotten word of my grad on an Econ quiz, needless to say it wasn't great. I will not, however, ignore the fact that Pierre really hasn't been a good player for the last few years outside of a two month stint last year, i don't think you should ignore that either.

I don't think that you read my original post very carefully. This is what I said...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Pierre is a .290-.300 hitter who is good for a .330-.350 OBP and steals 30+ bases a year at a 75-80% clip. That's a perfect #9 hitter

Looking at Pierre's stats over the past 3-4 years, those numbers are right within the range of what he's actually accomplished. If you want to believe that last season was a complete aberration and that his projected OBP range is a lot closer to .330-.340 than .330-.350, that's perfectly reasonable. However, the rest of what I posted is right smack in the middle of what Pierre has actually done over the past 2,200 or so at-bats.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
March/april = 20 at-bats, may = 111 at-bats, august 41 at-bats... in all that is 172... 90 off of your total. You added his may, june, and august at-bat totals together.

My mistake. However, the overarching point of my original post, which was somehow lost in a ridiculous straw man argument, is correct.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
IMO, its not happening. I mentioned when I heard they first talked about him early in the offseason, and I heard about some action this week. All I hear now is silence, and that cant be good.

Is this a guy thing based on radio silence, or are you hearing tangible concern from some of the powers that be?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
IMO, its not happening. I mentioned when I heard they first talked about him early in the offseason, and I heard about some action this week. All I hear now is silence, and that cant be good.

You said yourself there was a lot of action yesterday. If they made a final offer why wouldn't it be quiet? Not much else to say.

BTW, Cowley was on the Score a couple hours ago and said this delay is typical Boras. He loves to play the waiting game as long as he can hoping an offer increases. Cowley reiterated that a couple Sox sources indicated the team feels they made a good case and they'd be suprised if Damon didn't sign with the White Sox. Now I only post this because if anything shifted on the Sox side of things in the past 24 hours Cowley would at least know there was a change in mood. He reported the Sox are pretty confident.

I think this is literally a game of chicken right now between Boras and the Sox and Detroit is on the outside looking in. That's not to say he may not sign with the Tigers, but it would be after a preferred

deal with the Sox didn't happen.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

I wonder if we wouldn't be a better ballclub if we could trade Konerko and $6 million in cash for a B prospect....sign Dye for $3-4 million, stick him at 1B and use the other $2 million (in addition to what we're already offering) to sign Damon?

Of course it will NEVER happen, but I'd feel more comfortable with Dye and Damon rather than Konerko/Jones/Kotsay.

I know it's putting JD at a position he has little experience at, and Konerko is probably #1-2 to this generation of Sox fans in popularity...along with Buehrle and maybe Crede third. And he signed for less money after 2005, etc. I don't think JR would allow it, although KW might see the team as being improved, and there's certainly no guarantees about the production of Konerko, Damon or Dye...all are definitely on the downward plane of their career/s at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)

Rock, for once I'd like you to be wrong...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
I wonder if we wouldn't be a better ballclub if we could trade Konerko and $6 million in cash for a B prospect....sign Dye for $3-4 million, stick him at 1B and use the other $2 million (in addition to what we're already offering) to sign Damon?

Of course it will NEVER happen, but I'd feel more comfortable with Dye and Damon rather than Konerko/Jones/Kotsay.

I know it's putting JD at a position he has little experience at, and Konerko is probably #1-2 to this generation of Sox fans in popularity...along with Buehrle and maybe Crede third. And he signed for less money after 2005, etc. I don't think JR would allow it, although KW might see the team as being improved, and there's certainly no guarantees about the production of Konerko, Damon or Dye...all are definitely on the downward plane of their career/s at this point.

I'd trust Paulie at first a lot more than JD fielding wise, and pretty sure I feel better about his bat.