Beckham needs to be sent down

WhiteSoxfan1986

Q is a pop up machine. His new stance and swing suck terribly.

Q truly does suck right now.

Beckham is to the point he probably should be sent down not to find his swing and all that, but as a pure demotion.

He's been given every chance for 2-3 weeks now, since the send down Beckham talk started and he still is sucking. He's about to the point he needs to be sent down so Sox fans don't have to watch him make outs until next season when hopefully he's good again.

It's going to mean a steady diet of Omar for us fans, however.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
Beckham is to the point he probably should be sent down not to find his swing and all that, but as a pure demotion.

Yes, because punishing a second-year player for not producing is more important than trying to develop him into a productive player.

I've been all for keeping him up here, but recently it got to the point it's painful to watch him fail.

And at his current rate of suckage, yes I think a demotion is not unreasonable.

The problem is the replacement will be equally s***ty.

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Q for Fukudome am for it....

How are you going to pay for the rest of Fukudome's contract? Beyond that, how do you think fans are going to deal with Carlos Quentin resurrecting his career on the other side of Chicago? The guy is struggling, but you can't trade Quentin without getting a high upside bat in return. Quentin for Alex Gordon is actually semi-reasonable, because Gordon can still be a great hitter in this league. Fukudome is never really going to be anything more than an .800 OPS bat.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
How are you going to pay for the rest of Fukudome's contract? Beyond that, how do you think fans are going to deal with Carlos Quentin resurrecting his career on the other side of Chicago? The guy is struggling, but you can't trade Quentin without getting a high upside bat in return. Quentin for Alex Gordon is actually semi-reasonable, because Gordon can still be a great hitter in this league. Fukudome is never really going to be anything more than an .800 OPS bat.

Fuk would immediately be one of our best OBP guys and the best leadoff hitter we could possible have while playing good defense. I would be all for it to replace Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Fuk would immediately be one of our best OBP guys and the best leadoff hitter we could possible have while playing good defense. I would be all for it to replace Juan Pierre.

But you have to worry about him just sucking beyond belief in his career after the first few months. Also, he has a ton of money still left on his deal.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
You could probably get Fukodome for Linebrink right now. Fukodome is not going to see the light of day. He is the bizarro world Ramirez as he can in April and May but nothing after that.

If you do that deal, you better make the Cubs pay like 70% of his remaining deal.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
How the hell would Gordon playing SS help his offense? And why would you move Alexei from SS, a position that's he's been above average at for the last year+, to 2B? Makes no sense at all.

It seems pretty common that an error in the field gets carried to the plate in a lack of confidence and concentration. In reverse, I do believe that the terrible plate performance for Beckham has led to lower confidence in general, some decreased concentration, and a sense of desperation that leads to pressure, all of which make him less effective in the field.

As far as moving Ramirez, he has played well most of the time at SS (with the occasional bone-headed mistake), but he's certainly not been anything special. As a rookie at 2B, he was special.

Certainly, we are all speculating here and nobody knows what will work or won't, and, again, we will never know on this one, but I am not willing to concede that it "Makes no sense at all."

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
It seems pretty common that an error in the field gets carried to the plate in a lack of confidence and concentration. In reverse, I do believe that the terrible plate performance for Beckham has led to lower confidence in general, some decreased concentration, and a sense of desperation that leads to pressure, all of which make him less effective in the field.

As far as moving Ramirez, he has played well most of the time at SS (with the occasional bone-headed mistake), but he's certainly not been anything special. As a rookie at 2B, he was special.

Certainly, we are all speculating here and nobody knows what will work or won't, and, again, we will never know on this one, but I am not willing to concede that it "Makes no sense at all."

Beckham, to me, doesn't seem as though he'd be even average at SS. He seems as though he'd be dreadfully bad. Like, no range to his left or right and a mediocre arm to boot. He'd be like, Michael Young bad at SS.

Beckham, to me, doesn't seem as though he'd be even average at SS. He seems as though he'd be dreadfully bad. Like, no range to his left or right and a mediocre arm to boot. He'd be like, Michael Young bad at SS.

I agree. I thought it was a horrible decision to move him from third where he seemed acceptable to above average.

By the end of the year, he was making all routine plays it seemed to me and even some decent stabs of shots down the line, etc.

I would hope all would agree making Teahen our starting third baseman really really hurt our team. He's a lousy fielder and backup type hitter.

Eh, I liked Gordo's position at 3B. He seems to have no range but a quick first step. He started looking like a plus defender over there, and it keeps him outa double plays.

I wish we had a legit SS, could move Alexei to 2B and Beck back to 3B. Whatever.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Eh, I liked Gordo's position at 3B. He seems to have no range but a quick first step. He started looking like a plus defender over there, and it keeps him outa double plays.

I wish we had a legit SS, could move Alexei to 2B and Beck back to 3B. Whatever.

Alexei Ramirez is a legitimate shortstop. The OPS among all SS's in the MLB is .696. Alexei is at .686 right now and, considering he's eclipsed that in the past two seasons and he's heating up like he normally does, it wouldn't be shocking to see him do it again. He's also solid defensively too.

Alexei Ramirez is better than your league average shortstop. Considering what he produces and how much he costs, he's really the least of the Sox concerns.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Alexei Ramirez is a legitimate shortstop. The OPS among all SS's in the MLB is .696. Alexei is at .686 right now and, considering he's eclipsed that in the past two seasons and he's heating up like he normally does, it wouldn't be shocking to see him do it again. He's also solid defensively too.

Alexei Ramirez is better than your league average shortstop. Considering what he produces and how much he costs, he's really the least of the Sox concerns.

Yeah, and he is under our control cheaply for a while

He's hitting .277/.327/.438/.764 since May first, plays an above average SS and makes $1.1M. Sure he has a minuscule baseball IQ and will f*** up the occasional easy play in the field but the good far outweighs the bad. Not every player on your team is going to be an amazing all around ballplayer.

I think many expected more because of his 2008. He's clearly regressed since then (at least offensively). But his saving grace is the ridiculously cheap contract.

My coworkers and I met Beckham at a crappy Chinese place we eat lunch at yesterday. He was with his girlfriend who my friends noticed immediately... I was the weird guy that said hey that's Gordon Beckham when every other person at the table said, "wow, she is hot." Anyway, I said congrats on the Crosstown Classic and the recent better play. I hope that the Sox would keep up the momentum. He said "Thanks but, I haven't been doing much to add to the momentum this year," and laughed. At least he's a realist about how he's been playing.

I know most of you have more baseball knowledge than me stat-wise etc. but, I don't feel like Beckham should be sent down. A day or two off perhaps but, AAA seems like a spirit breaker. Given Teahan's out and our solution would be everyday helpings of Lillibridge, Nix or Vizquel, I'd just as soon Beckham work things out with the club. We have a nice 6 game stretch against middling pitching (Nationals wunderkind aside) and teams that might help get him back on track. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

The reason he was changed from 3b to 2b is because he'd give you average to mediocre power production as a 3b. As a 2b, he becomes above average. It was the right decision.

What? I thought everybody believed Gordon was going to be a doubles hitting machine and not a good but a great player? Not a journeyman run of the mill second baseman. All the love for Beckham on here and throughout baseball and he would just be an average third baseman in terms of gap hitting production?

I also thought he had some pop in his bat he'd hit some home runs.

He was the beloved high draft pick.

You are saying a guy drafted that high was just going to be an average third baseman talent? And Mark Teahen is a GOOD third baseman talent?

It was the wrong decision to replace Beckham at third with Mark Teahen.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
What? I thought everybody believed Gordon was going to be a doubles hitting machine and not a good but a great player? Not a journeyman run of the mill second baseman. All the love for Beckham on here and throughout baseball and he would just be an average third baseman in terms of gap hitting production?

I also thought he had some pop in his bat he'd hit some home runs.

He was the beloved high draft pick.

You are saying a guy drafted that high was just going to be an average third baseman talent? And Mark Teahen is a GOOD third baseman talent?

It was the wrong decision to replace Beckham at third with Mark Teahen.

Gordon Beckham was never going to be Alex Rodriguez production wise at 3B, but many believed he had a chance to be Chase Utley production wise at 2B.

That was last year of course.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
Gordon Beckham was never going to be Alex Rodriguez production wise at 3B, but many believed he had a chance to be Chase Utley production wise at 2B.

That was last year of course.

Chase Utley has the highest career OPS of any 2B in baseball history. Career slash stats similar to those of Robbie Alomar (.300/.371/.443/.814) would be awesome especially if he turns into the above average defender at 2B that many believe he will be.

Alex Rodriguez is one of the greatest hitters of all time.

I don't even think his name should be brought into this. I thought Beckham had great gap power and decent speed and people surely thought he would whack 20 or more dingers a year as well. I think that's better than the average Mark Grudzalanek second baseman. And the White Sox moved him for Mark Teahen which is about the dumbest decision in franchise history.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Chase Utley has the highest career OPS of any 2B in baseball history. Career slash stats similar to those of Robbie Alomar (.300/.371/.443/.814) would be awesome especially if he turns into the above average defender at 2B that many believe he will be.

I think expectations for Gordon have dropped however, I mean he is currently sporting OPS of .538, can he turn in around to become .800 OPS second baseman? His defense will be above average I think.

EDIT: Robin Ventura did it in '90, so I guess anything is possible.

PS. Where can i find monthly splits of one's season?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
I think expectations for Gordon have dropped however, I mean he is currently sporting OPS of .538, can he turn in around to become .800 OPS second baseman? His defense will be above average I think.

PS. Where can i find monthly splits of one's season?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2010&t=b

5th section down. If you want any other player just do a site search for his name, select the year on the splits drop down menu and you're set.