2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone excited about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? I know I am...in fact, I was so excited about it that I drunkenly purchased a new XBox (was going to go PS3 but I still have like 8 360 games, so I think I'm going to switch during the next gen) a few days ago. Almost made the mistake of buying the 4 GB for $199, then saw that Best Buy included a $75 gift certificate if you buy a 250 GB. Yeah, that was a simple call.

Anyways, totally jacked about Skyrim and I am really, really looking forward to getting back into real video games. The original XBox just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 04:10 AM)
Anyone excited about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? I know I am...in fact, I was so excited about it that I drunkenly purchased a new XBox (was going to go PS3 but I still have like 8 360 games, so I think I'm going to switch during the next gen) a few days ago. Almost made the mistake of buying the 4 GB for $199, then saw that Best Buy included a $75 gift certificate if you buy a 250 GB. Yeah, that was a simple call.

Anyways, totally jacked about Skyrim and I am really, really looking forward to getting back into real video games. The original XBox just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

My life and relationships are pretty much over once the new Elder Scrolls comes out. Unless you're in my xbox live party then there will be no way to know if I'm alive or not.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 02:38 AM)
great now you know i can't buy the game if you don't right? I'm not playin that with Quentin i hope you know.

It might have just been a bad video.. but the guy didnt do anything he just kinda walked around and hit some zombies with a bat.. ok, ive played that before it was called Left 4 Dead.. what I watched didnt show me anything that was like, man I gotta get that..

Like MW3 multiplayer reveal did :)

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)
My life and relationships are pretty much over once the new Elder Scrolls comes out. Unless you're in my xbox live party then there will be no way to know if I'm alive or not.

My 360 gets here Thursday and there have been about a million games that have come out in the past 3 years that I have wanted to play, yet for some reason, because it will be a new XBox (and thus, a completely new harddrive), I feel as though I am going to have to tear through Oblivion one more time. That'll take me a good month or two to get through and then BAM, Skyrim comes in.

It's going to be Boner Jams 0-f***ing-9 for Elder Scrolls until the end of the year for me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 05:10 AM)

Totally. Not just that but the new Assassins Creed and Uncharted come out within the same two week span. It's gonna be nuts

Dead Island is pretty enjoyable so far. It's not quite Fallout 3 with zombies, but it's basically the game that I wanted Dead Rising to be: a first person, RPG, co-op zombie game. I've yet to actually play the co-op, but the single player has been thoroughly enjoyable thus far.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 12:54 AM)
Does anyone else absolutely hate first person games?

Hate is a strong word, but I definitely don't prefer them. I'm into sports games or third-person games, though I had a ton of fun with Crysis 2. I think the FPS genre has become over saturated so unless you do something amazing graphically like Crysis or Killzone it's tough to beat games like Halo or COD (though I've never played a COD game). I've noticed more quality games that haven't been first-person lately.

I play Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3 in third person unless fighting. Other than that and the first Resistance, not a big fan of FPSs.

Also, my graphics card was burnt up, so Gopher Mods isn't charging me, despite their fix of the YLOD.

The problem is now I have to back up the data blind, unless I can set up the Remote Play blind. Worth a try on Friday.

I used to enjoy them, but now that every first-person game seems to come out with a mostly pathetic storyline and complete focus on online play, I rarely play them (save the Modern Warfares, because renting those for the storyline is worth it).

I just have no interest in being "pwned" by 12 year olds who play from 3pm til midnight every weekday and all weekend long.

I generally only play sports games and the occasional 3rd person action game (see Batman, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption).

Madden 12 is really, really strong. Meriweather likes knocking motherf*ckers out!

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)

Most of what is popular yes, mainly for the reasons Steve mentioned. I don't do the online stuff for this genre and very rarely is there a good story to be told. The only recent exceptions to this I can recall are Half Life 2, the two Portal games, and the just released Deus Ex (best game of any genre I've played since the original Deus Ex in 2000, but it's as much of an RPG as it is FPS). Everything else is Halo this and Call of Duty that. I especially abhor those frigging military games- an incomplete deck of playing cards sounds like more fun to me.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Dead Island Co-op is a freakin blast as long as you're not in a party with 3 12 year olds. Resistance 3 so far is freaking spectacular, i usually hate playing campaign modes these days because of the cheesy storylines and repetitive action sequences, but Resistance 3 really sucks you in to the action nicely, i also like that it doesn't have a "Halo" style health system where you regenerate if you hide behind a trash can for 5 seconds. Keeps things nice and challenging..

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Dead Island Co-op is a freakin blast as long as you're not in a party with 3 12 year olds. Resistance 3 so far is freaking spectacular, i usually hate playing campaign modes these days because of the cheesy storylines and repetitive action sequences, but Resistance 3 really sucks you in to the action nicely, i also like that it doesn't have a "Halo" style health system where you regenerate if you hide behind a trash can for 5 seconds. Keeps things nice and challenging..

maaaaaaaaaaaan youre gonna make me have to get dead island

I'm a couple hours into it and have had a lot of fun. The PC release was/is a little wonky (apparently some idiot released a beta version instead of the real one initially and now they're having some minor issues patching it), but I've enjoyed the gameplay despite that. It's definitely a little rough around the edges, but it's a solid game.

f***.

So, my PS3 turns on now, but I can't get controllers or my PSP to sync up with it.

I really don't want to lose all my saves. The big ones would be games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, since they carry over and I dumped hours into them.

Basically, my one option now is trying to find a motherboard replacement service. Anyone know of any? Or should I just give up in this endeavor and feel like a moron for not backing up my PS3 like once a month.

I feel like I'm about to feel stupid.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
f***.

So, my PS3 turns on now, but I can't get controllers or my PSP to sync up with it.

I really don't want to lose all my saves. The big ones would be games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, since they carry over and I dumped hours into them.

Basically, my one option now is trying to find a motherboard replacement service. Anyone know of any? Or should I just give up in this endeavor and feel like a moron for not backing up my PS3 like once a month.

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you could just take the hard drive out and put it into a new PS3 if you buy one and you will still have all your goodies on it

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)
f***.

You can't even get the controller to recognize when you have it plugged in through the USB cord? Man, that sucks. You really need to find a way to get your saves off that baby.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 01:10 AM)
If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you could just take the hard drive out and put it into a new PS3 if you buy one and you will still have all your goodies on it

Nah, doesn't work. When you put a harddrive in to a PS3, it makes you format the drive, aka, delete everything on it.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)

If only. Sony really f***ing hates that though, so if I do that, it'll wipe my hard drive.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
You can't even get the controller to recognize when you have it plugged in through the USB cord? Man, that sucks. You really need to find a way to get your saves off that baby.

I COULD replace the motherboard, but that's expensive and I have no electronics knowledge. Still an option.

I'm losing two things ultimately, the ability to play my PS2 games and about $50 worth of RB songs I downloaded when RB1 came out. But if I ever feel the want to go get those, I can bite the bullet (I don't even have my RB controllers with me at college and I rarely play the old songs now with the keyboard anyway).

The PS2 games are a different matter. I own 7 of them and none of them are in PS2 Classics. The Jak & Daxter Games and the Kingdom Hearts Games.

I COULD send it to Sony and pray to god they send me back the same system and not a refurbished one. But even refurbished one, I'd still get to play my PS2 games. But if I send it to them and get a refurbished one, I'm f***ed. Also, if they take my HDD and don't replace it, I'm f***ed (A 250 GB that I put in on my own).

But as for the saves...only one that will hurt is Dragon Age because I haven't gotten through it. Don't get me wrong, the Fallouts, Oblivion, ModNation, LBP, Uncharteds, Assassin's Creeds, inFamouses, MGS4, etc. will all suck to lose. Badly. But now I can go back and relive those adventures, which is the reason I kept these discs in the first place. I had already planned on going back through Mass Effect 2, but the problem is figuring out how to recreate the damn face.

But f*** going back through NBA 2k11 and MLB: 10 The Show. I'll wait for NBA 2k12 and the next MLB game I'd like, because f*** the my player modes whenever Scott Skiles and Tony LaRussa are my coaches.

So now the question is do I want to send Sony my PS3 for $150 and have a small chance of getting MINE back and the ability to play PS2 games or do I want to spend $250 for a new PS3 slim and probably $30 for a PS2.

I'm leaning toward sending it in and getting a refurbished Fat PS3, for the PS2 games. But if they keep the HDD and give me a 60 GB, forget it. I'm not gonna spend more for less ultimately.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:52 AM)
Nah, doesn't work. When you put a harddrive in to a PS3, it makes you format the drive, aka, delete everything on it.

damn even if its already formatted? only time I've messed with the hard drive is when i put a 1 TB hard drive into my launch ps3 and of course i was asked to format

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 01:12 AM)
damn even if its already formatted? only time I've messed with the hard drive is when i put a 1 TB hard drive into my launch ps3 and of course i was asked to format

Yup.

It's quite possibly the dumbest thing in video game console design ever.