Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/...ing-partnership

Sounds like the end of Pac/Big expansion. Probably did the numbers and it just doesnt make sense to add 2 more teams if at least 1 wont be in the top half in revenue.

The key to this deal is the Big Ten will stay at 8 conference games instead of going to 9 in 2017 as previously announced.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Who is the Tennessee fan again? Do you know how long I'll probably have to book hotels? Like half are already booked up for that weekend.

Not a fan but do live here. If you're trying to be within walking distance, i.e. downtown, the hotels will be available for a while, but they'll be fairly expensive on gameday. If you're driving into the area, there are tons of hotels that aren't within walking distance but which won't fill up for a while.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Not a fan but do live here. If you're trying to be within walking distance, i.e. downtown, the hotels will be available for a while, but they'll be fairly expensive on gameday. If you're driving into the area, there are tons of hotels that aren't within walking distance but which won't fill up for a while.

I'd book anything close now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Who is the Tennessee fan again? Do you know how long I'll probably have to book hotels? Like half are already booked up for that weekend.

That would be me... Honestly, it just depends on the weekend. When teams like Alabama and Florida come, you better book really early. And not that I'm trying to put down Missouri or anything, but with yall being new to the SEC and not a powerhouse or anything (but better than UT is right now), I wouldn't imagine that weekend will be too difficult to find something if you want to wait a little longer (albeit, you probably won't be within walking distance if you wait much longer).

I'd say all of the downtown area hotels (walking distance to campus/stadium) will fill up pretty quickly regardless, though. If you don't mind having to drive to campus (traffic is absolutely awful if you leave the area right after the game and parking will run you $20 minimum if you park off-campus), then you'll definitely be able to wait and find hotels within a 10 minute drive.

Not sure that helps, but if you're definitely going to go, then I'd say book a downtown hotel now b/c walking to the bars/stadium/campus is just so much easier.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
That would be me... Honestly, it just depends on the weekend. When teams like Alabama and Florida come, you better book really early. And not that I'm trying to put down Missouri or anything, but with yall being new to the SEC and not a powerhouse or anything (but better than UT is right now), I wouldn't imagine that weekend will be too difficult to find something if you want to wait a little longer (albeit, you probably won't be within walking distance if you wait much longer).

I'd say all of the downtown area hotels (walking distance to campus/stadium) will fill up pretty quickly regardless, though. If you don't mind having to drive to campus (traffic is absolutely awful if you leave the area right after the game and parking will run you $20 minimum if you park off-campus), then you'll definitely be able to wait and find hotels within a 10 minute drive.

Not sure that helps, but if you're definitely going to go, then I'd say book a downtown hotel now b/c walking to the bars/stadium/campus is just so much easier.

None taken. We traditionally don't travel very well. That's why I was surprised to have so many hotels I tried booked early. I'll try to get a crew together now then.

I think it will be a blast. How far is the drive? 8.5? (chicago)

And one last thing, when do tickets go on sale usually?

this blew my mind btw:

No-brainer here: Quarterback James Franklin shredded the Tar Heels on the ground and through the air. On his 142 rushing yards, Franklin averaged a season-best 7.9 yards per carry — against one of the country's premier rush defenses. As a passer, Franklin had his least efficient game (119.1 rating) since Missouri's loss to Oklahoma State back on Oct. 22, but his production belied his statistics. He got rid of the ball in a hurry and accurately on quick-game passes and, for the most part, made good decisions with the ball.

"He wasn’t perfect by any stretch," offensive coordinator David Yost said, "but I didn’t think there was a lull in his play at any time."

Now that his season is complete, we can make it official: Franklin was a more productive player in 2011 than Blaine Gabbert was in 2010.

Against a more grueling schedule, Franklin completed 63.39 percent of his passes, slightly better than Gabbert, who completed 63.36 last year. Gabbert averaged more passing yards per game, 232.5 to Franklin’s 220.9, but Franklin had the better efficiency numbers, 139.9 rating and 7.6 yards per attempt to Gabbert’s 127.0 rating and 6.7 yards per attempt.

Franklin threw 98 fewer passes but more touchdowns, 21, to Gabbert’s 16. Franklin threw 11 interceptions to Gabbert’s nine.

Franklin was a major factor in the running game: 981 rushing yards and 15 TDs. Gabbert ran for 232 yards and five TDs.

As far as total offense, Franklin finished with 3,853 yards – a total eclipsed only twice in school history, by Chase Daniel in 2007 and 2008. And those were 14-game seasons for Daniel. In 13 games, Franklin averaged 296.4 yards of total offense and accounted for 36 touchdowns. In 2007, Daniel averaged 307.6 yards and accounted for 37 touchdowns. In 2008, Daniel averaged 309.6 yards of offense and accounted for 40 TDs.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/beh...rewell-to-2011/

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
None taken. We traditionally don't travel very well. That's why I was surprised to have so many hotels I tried booked early. I'll try to get a crew together now then.

I think it will be a blast. How far is the drive? 8.5? (chicago)

And one last thing, when do tickets go on sale usually?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe they'll go on sale in July... I'm assuming that because that's when individual game tix went on sale last season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

Statistically Gabbert wasn't that good, but you could see the potential. I think he has a shot to be a decent NFL QB, but he's got a ways to go and being on that s*** team in Jacksonville isn't helping his development.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
Notre Dame FAIL. Brian Kelly seems to be well on his way to chasing away more QBs, he was lighting up Rees and Hendrix throughout the entire second half collapse.

He was actually pretty calm compared to most of the regular season.

Plus, the picks they threw were awful.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
Try to look at this and not laugh

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313630239

It's one of the most exciting games I've ever seen and I watched it on ESPN3 after I knew the score. I can't imagine watching that live and constantly being blown away by the scoring. Baylor doesn't have a ton of talent, but it's ALL on offense.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
Try to look at this and not laugh

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313630239

ESPNGameDayJMac Jason McCallum

There were 15 college basketball games Thursday with fewer points than the Baylor/Washington bowl game. And 3 more with the same.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
ESPNGameDayJMac Jason McCallum

There were 15 college basketball games Thursday with fewer points than the Baylor/Washington bowl game. And 3 more with the same.

More tds in that game than the Rams have all season.