Speigel vs Cowley on WSCR

Swingandalongonetoleft

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
It was in his whole Holly.wood thing. Supposedly he was hanging around Toni Braxton, or worse if Joe is trying to imply something, and that is part of the evidence that Kenny has forgotten where he came from, whatever that means.

Hey there admin stop trying to dodge the language filter!

So Cowley said their last fight was when KW wanted to rid himself of Pierre but Ozzie said no. Of course KW backed down and Pierre got hot. The "skipper" would never be wrong. The only reason he played Rios and Dunn and batted them so high in the order was because KW said he had to do that. Is Cowley's tongue so far up Oney's ass he can't even see he's being played?

I just wasted 20 minutes listening to that interview.

The radio host could have handled that a lot better where we would have uh, actually gotten a lot of good takes from the both of them and information.

Instead if you had to summarize, Cowley said he's not part of the story, he's "ahead of the story" and the radio host disagrees. Stupid radio.

Info gleaned: Ozzie does desperately want Jerry to pick between the two. IMO how that will end: Both get the boot.

There is one way only KW gets the boot. Cowley alleges Jerry told him "he's not a perfect human being." If Jerry does believe KW is kind of a snake, then maybe he keeps Oz to work with Hahn.

I still say both are gone.

Radio interview grade D.

Host's approach: F.

Cowley's anger: F.

I've never liked Speigel, but his point here is 100 percent right. Cowley is basically Ozzie's PR agent, getting fed info from Oney and Ozzie, disguised as a journalist. It's embarrassing for Cowley, and quite frankly, I don't see how he's relevant in this town as a writer anymore once Ozzie is gone, which is hopefully soon.

But the way Speigel handled this sounds wrong. This is something you bring up with Cowley off the air before bringing it to the show, and it sounds like he didn't do that. Speigel is the one with the accurate point, but neither party wins here. As far as I'm concerned, put Cowley, Ozzie, Kenny, and Speigel on the same train out of town. They can sort out their problems in a tag team match.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
I've never liked Speigel, but his point here is 100 percent right. Cowley is basically Ozzie's PR agent, getting fed info from Oney and Ozzie, disguised as a journalist. It's embarrassing for Cowley, and quite frankly, I don't see how he's relevant in this town as a writer anymore once Ozzie is gone, which is hopefully soon.

But the way Speigel handled this sounds wrong. This is something you bring up with Cowley off the air before bringing it to the show, and it sounds like he didn't do that. Speigel is the one with the accurate point, but neither party wins here. As far as I'm concerned, put Cowley, Ozzie, Kenny, and Speigel on the same train out of town. They can sort out their problems in a tag team match.

Hey Joe, I'm about to question your credibility and integrity on the radio. Cool? Thanks.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
So you'd prefer he did not report on the fact that these guys don't like each other and there is a power struggle going on? I want to know as much information as possible.

There is a big difference between talking about a power struggle and insinuating that Kenny is cheating on his wife.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
There is a big difference between talking about a power struggle and insinuating that Kenny is cheating on his wife.

If Cowley reported on everyone in the White Sox organization who has cheated on their wife, he'd wouldn't have to write about anything else. He'd be like Maury with the DNA tests. The thing is, the whole Cowley agenda is confusing. He calls KW a liar, which he may be, but isn't Ozzie a liar? On one hand using the information Ozzie provided, he fought KW to keep Pierre, yet KW forced him to play Dunn and Rios. On the other hand, Ozzie went off about how he made the f***ing line ups, and anyone who didn't like it should go cheer for another team. What is it Oz?

But the way Speigel handled this sounds wrong.

I think so. In listening to it from far away, I thought it was annoying, loud, uncomfortable radio.

Why didn't the host just start asking Cowley the tough questions instead of fighting with him right off the bat?

There actually was a tone of civility after the commercial break when he finally asked Cowley a few questions.

Granted Cowley went nuts right off the bat but what ever happened to the interviewer asking questions instead of the two yelling at each other??

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
I'd prefer a "reporter" not be a mouth-piece for one particular side of the story and not continually insult the other side.

That use to be more limited to political figures but since the emergence of 24 hour sports coverage sports journalism has regressed. There may be a bigger divide in communication between athletes and reporters that you see so many articles (Phil Rodgers) that are nothing but speculation.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)

Who's to say that Cowley hasn't been confronted in private about this, and he just didn't listen?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
Who's to say that Cowley hasn't been confronted in private about this, and he just didn't listen?

This kind of stuff just doesn't happen out of no where. All you have to do is see Cowley's peers taking public shots at him to know this just didn't start. This has been festering for a while.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Actually I agree with this. Although I have to admit living overseas I am not nearly as close to it as the majority of this board. But I didn't really see much of an issue that Cowley was saying there, if it's true that KW doesn't talk to him and the only way for him to get the story is to get info from Ozzie and others in the locker room.

That was my initial, posted reaction. However, this involves Cowley, so most of Soxtalk can only hate on him. Spiegel sounded like the fat moron he is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
It was in his whole Holly.wood thing. Supposedly he was hanging around Toni Braxton, or worse if Joe is trying to imply something, and that is part of the evidence that Kenny has forgotten where he came from, whatever that means.

I do think Speigel's report that Ozzie is clearly just as Kenny "The Genius" Williams as Kenny with his website, twitter, etc was a good one.