Some Sox free agents

BamaDoc

Per the MLB trade rumors site link, Buehrle, Pierre, and Frasor rank as type B free agents meaning if arbitration is offered and rejected by the player, if the player signs elsewhere the Sox receive a supplemental pick between the first and second round. The good news is the pick is not from a signing team so it does not keep anyone from signing them. The picks could be quite useful to restock the minor league system. The down side is if the player accepts you are stuck with them and at a arbitration price ie maybe not the price you want.

Buehrle no brainer you offer so if he doesn't resign you get the pick. He will have multi year offers.

Frasor tougher call. May decline in search of a multiyear (two) year deal and I think someone would do that so I say offer.

Pierre toughest call. You don't want him back, unlikely to get multi year offer so highest chance of accepting, so I think

despite wanting the pick you have to pass. I would however, try to get him to agree to refuse arbitration thus getting the pick. I would have a wink wink agreement that he could be a minor league instructor when his playing days are thru. Thoughts?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
Per the MLB trade rumors site link, Buehrle, Pierre, and Frasor rank as type B free agents meaning if arbitration is offered and rejected by the player, if the player signs elsewhere the Sox receive a supplemental pick between the first and second round. The good news is the pick is not from a signing team so it does not keep anyone from signing them. The picks could be quite useful to restock the minor league system. The down side is if the player accepts you are stuck with them and at a arbitration price ie maybe not the price you want.

Buehrle no brainer you offer so if he doesn't resign you get the pick. He will have multi year offers.

Frasor tougher call. May decline in search of a multiyear (two) year deal and I think someone would do that so I say offer.

Pierre toughest call. You don't want him back, unlikely to get multi year offer so highest chance of accepting, so I think

despite wanting the pick you have to pass. I would however, try to get him to agree to refuse arbitration thus getting the pick. I would have a wink wink agreement that he could be a minor league instructor when his playing days are thru. Thoughts?

If the Sox offered Pierre arbitration, and he accepted, the reality is without the LA money, they are looking at paying him double what they have been paying him. I don't think they offer. Frasor is a tough call., as far as picking up his option but I don't see them offering him arb if they reject his option. Buerhle obviously you offer. Another thing to consider, the Sox don't like spending a lot of money on the draft. I don't know if JR would really appreciate a bunch of supplemental picks considering their rate of panning out and the bonuses they are paid.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I'd decline option on Frasor and offer him and Buehrle arbitration. Frasor didn't impress me much the time he was here but I don't think he hurts us at all if he accepts and if not draft picks.

Unfortunately, if we need to cut significant payroll, then Frasor is a luxury we can't afford. If he were to accept an arbitration offer, are there any restrictions on quickly you can move him afterwards?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I'd decline option on Frasor and offer him and Buehrle arbitration. Frasor didn't impress me much the time he was here but I don't think he hurts us at all if he accepts and if not draft picks.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they picked up Frasor's option. Barring that, though, I'm sure they will offer arbitration to him and Buehrle. No way they offer it to Pierre.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Can't believe Mark Buehrle is only a Type B Free Agent. Does someone have an exxplanation?

Because he's just not that good? Sure, he had a pretty good year this season, but the guy is really never that great. He's above average, but not great. That's like the definition of a "B".

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
Unfortunately, if we need to cut significant payroll, then Frasor is a luxury we can't afford. If he were to accept an arbitration offer, are there any restrictions on quickly you can move him afterwards?

No, he could be traded at any point.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
There's guys who are type A that are worth far less in value. I think we should offer Buehrle arb.

Indeed. He will probably be the only Elias ranked free agent that the Sox offer arbitration too. I want them to offer Frasor, but I can't see it happening.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
There's guys who are type A that are worth far less in value.

Absolutely.

And Buehrle is used to that his whole career. Many people still ask how the hell does a guy with mediocre stuff (and even that is being nice) have 2 no hitters (1 was a perfect game) in his career.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
Whats Frasor's option anyway? And any chance its picked up?

1 year, $3.5 million club option. Based on how he performed its very unlikely the team will pick that up.

The team does have the right to decline that option and still offer him arbitration. Should Frasor accept that arbitration, this year's salary is $2.5 million and that's somewhere in the area of a starting point for negotiations. Should Frasor decline that arbitration and sign elsewhere, the Sox would receive a Sandwich pick.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Can't believe Mark Buehrle is only a Type B Free Agent. Does someone have an exxplanation?

MB is not a elite starter and really is overvalued by Sox fans, he is a mediocre innings eater .500 pitcher at this point. Let MB go somewhere else.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
He might well be able to get a corner OF starting position in Florida if they give their manager enough control. (Yes, I know who Florida currently has as their startign corner OF"s.)

You know who's going to get a million plate appearances next year? Emilio Bonifacio. Marlins fans better hope that his walk rate is at 2011 levels.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
You know who's going to get a million plate appearances next year? Emilio Bonifacio. Marlins fans better hope that his walk rate is at 2011 levels.

A 26 year old leadoff hitter who put up a .360 OBP and a .753 OPS, while being 40/51 (just under 80%) stolen bases? I'd give that a good number of at bats too.