2011 World Series Thread

Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
The Cardinals simply won't be signing Mark unless he's close to the league minimum.

Either they're blowing $28 million a year on keeping a fairly good 1b or they're rebuilding.

Cardinals aren't going to be rebuilding with that pitching staff locked up and Holliday/Berkman/Molina/Freese all returning. If they don't get Fielder, they'll spend that money on a few pieces like Cuddyer and Furcal, etc.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
Cardinals aren't going to be rebuilding with that pitching staff locked up and Holliday/Berkman/Molina/Freese all returning. If they don't get Fielder, they'll spend that money on a few pieces like Cuddyer and Furcal, etc.

Be honest man...subtract that monster...and is there any combination of players/pitchers they could reasonably get, even you assume Wainright comes back immediately at 100% of where he was...that would make you think "This team should own the NL Central next year"?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
If they don't sign Pujols, they should have a nice chunk of money to spend on SS, 2B, and/or 1B/RF.

Without Pujols, they're at $90 million for 9 players if they pick up the options on Furcal ($12), Wainright ($9), Molina ($7) and Dotel ($3.5). If they add in pre-arb players and offer arbitration to the guys they do have, then they're already in the $110-$115 million range. Letting Furcal go helps get them down to $100 mil, but then they need a SS. They've got a lot of money committed already, and replacing Pujols's production would be incredibly difficult even if they had a lot of room to maneuver.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
Well, I think their payroll this year was around $125M. With this World Series run, they may be willing to add to that next season. I believe Lohse, Berkman, and Westbrook are free agents after 2012.

Their Payroll for the year was $125 million if you count the full salary of the expensive guys they traded for (Jackson, Furcal) - which the baseball reference calculator does. They only had most of those guys for a couple months, so they didn't pay their full salaries. Their opening day payroll was $105 million, and they probably added less than $10 million to it through their trades. Jackson they probably paid $3 million, Furcal about $4 million (2 months of each guy). They may very well also have received insurance dollars for Wainright; impossible to guess on that one. Their total payroll this year is still less than $115 million, and they're starting at >$100 million next year without Pujols.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
No one has ever lost 4 games in a single postseason. CJ Wilson has lost 3 and is on the mound tonight.

That's an interesting stat.

This is kind of "duh" but whoever wins tonight wins the series... so this is a gigantic game. "Duh".

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Only teams I see Pujols leaving Cardinals for are Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs. No way could I picture him going to a small market team.

NO chance he ends up with the Cubs. I think if they were going to go the high spending route, they go cheap in the front office,

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
I really don't see him going to the Cubs. Besides their budget constraints, I don't believe he'd go to the most hated rival of his team. It sounds cheesy, but I seriously don't think he'd do it. He'll just end up re-signing with the Cardinals after they win the World Series.

I know guys go where the most money is almost all of the time, but I agree that would be pretty s***ty of Pujols. I mean how many millions of dollars does he need to be happy? I really don't see how 4-5 million would matter that much to Pujols. I mean what's the difference between 20 and 25 million a year?

If he goes to the Cubs ... wow. All those games against St. Looie in St. Louie. Some of their fans would boo him?? It'd be a terrible story in sports.

Are there really rumors Cubs might get him?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
Never thought I'd see Octavio Dotel pitching in the 8th inning of perhaps the most important World Series game.

Crazy, I wasn't that comfortable when he was pitching the 7th inning for the White Sox.

Yet there he is...

I never had any problem with him. Once every 7-10 outings he'd blow up big time and couldn't find any of his pitches, but pretty much every other time he was filthy.

Well, there was finally a happy ending for Thome in CLE, although the Phillies were an NL team.

And you might want to revise your prediction of the Cardinals winning the World Series, Milkman.

Game 6 will be Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia

Certainly the Cardinals would be in trouble with either Lohse/Jackson for Game 7 against Harrison but just as likely Holland (3 days' rest) after last night.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
I never had any problem with him. Once every 7-10 outings he'd blow up big time and couldn't find any of his pitches, but pretty much every other time he was filthy.

He was a lot like Linebrink (when he was actually effective in 2008) in that sense.

When you moved him from the 7th to the 8th or 9th, or tie games, or closing situations...you were just waiting for either one of those guys to implode.

LaRussa giveth and taketh away in this series. After being universally-termed a "mastermind" in Game 1, the bloom has quickly come off that rose the last couple of games.

Edited by caulfield12