Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/10/2739...guillen-in.html

Apparently one of Ozzie's sons is getting him in trouble again. A "friend of his son" is supposedly shouting "VIVA CHAVEZ!" in a youtube video.

Never underestimate the power of social media to come back and bite you these days.

At the news conference Tuesday, Guillen denied ever having said "Viva Chavez," as seen in a YouTube video. He said one of his son's friends standing behind him made the statement.

Edited by caulfield12

Hopefully KW will refrain from gloating.

Will be interesting to see if anyone can get either Reinsdorf or Ventura to address this, I'm sure it's going to come up around a lot of MLB clubhouses today...especially with the Hispanic players.

There was even intimation that there would be some kind of backlash against Venezuelans or Venezuelan players because of what Ozzie said. I think that's carrying it a bit too far, as well the Hitler comparisons.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
My co-worker says MLB will probably nail him too.

MLB didn't do anything back when people like Delgado were sitting for the National Anthem did they?

I'd actually have a problem with MLB acting in an official capacity here. The Marlins I can understand, that's their home base. It shouldn't be MLB's job to regulate unpopular political beliefs amongst people within their league, that should be directly between the employer and employee.

Technically they're all employees of MLB. Think of what NFL does to people who tarnish their image (think: Saints).

He also mentioned the Marge Schott incident. To many Cubans, Castro is their Hitler (Godwin's Law, I know...).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
MLB didn't do anything back when people like Delgado were sitting for the National Anthem did they?

I'd actually have a problem with MLB acting in an official capacity here. The Marlins I can understand, that's their home base. It shouldn't be MLB's job to regulate unpopular political beliefs amongst people within their league, that should be directly between the employer and employee.

Yeah, but they can always use that "acting against the best interests of the game" clause...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Sez the guy still writing stories about Ozzie, Kenny, and Cooper not getting along.

cst_Cowley ‏ @cst_Cowley

I thought the best thing Oz said is moving forward it's not what he says, but what he does. Period, move on.

You should challenge him to never write another KW/Ozzie story again...to move on, just like his hero Ozzie.

Acciones son mas importante que palabras (actions are more important than words)

Now we'll be subjected to the Guillens going to a soup kitchen in Little Havana or some other contrived public appearance.

At least he wasn't asked about sacrificing live animals for Santeria and Jay Mariotti.

Does Mariotti have a twitter? I'm sure he's enjoying this moment about as much as any since he left Chicago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)

I completely agree.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
Sez the guy still writing stories about Ozzie, Kenny, and Cooper not getting along.

cst_Cowley ‏ @cst_Cowley

I thought the best thing Oz said is moving forward it's not what he says, but what he does. Period, move on.

Oh ok, well then hopefully he never reports anything Ozzie ever says again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
You should challenge him to never write another KW/Ozzie story again...to move on, just like his hero Ozzie.

Acciones son mas importante que palabras (actions are more important than words)

Now we'll be subjected to the Guillens going to a soup kitchen in Little Havana or some other contrived public appearance.

At least he wasn't asked about sacrificing live animals for Santeria and Jay Mariotti.

Does Mariotti have a twitter? I'm sure he's enjoying this moment about as much as any since he left Chicago.

If this could come out of Ozzie's ignorance, that would be nice.

"It's like going to New York's Jewish district and saying, 'Hitler wasn't so bad. He managed to stay in power for a few years,'" veteran Spanish-language baseball announcer Amaury Pi-Gonzalez, who left Cuba at age 17, told USA Today. "Even a 9-year-old knows better than to say that in Miami. But I don't think he's really a fan of Castro or meant any harm. It's just that he talks so much that sometimes he says things without thinking about them."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
Frank Thomas ‏ @TheBigHurt_35

After spending years of my life with Ozzie Guillen I can honestly say he has never been this apologetic.

I know he is really hurting inside for what he said. If you really know him this was not his intentions at all.

He's hurting because he's finally being made the fool he is.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Yeah, but they can always use that "acting against the best interests of the game" clause...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
"It's like going to New York's Jewish district and saying, 'Hitler wasn't so bad. He managed to stay in power for a few years,'" veteran Spanish-language baseball announcer Amaury Pi-Gonzalez, who left Cuba at age 17, told USA Today. "Even a 9-year-old knows better than to say that in Miami. But I don't think he's really a fan of Castro or meant any harm. It's just that he talks so much that sometimes he says things without thinking about them."

Shack...I get why baseball might be tempted, but let's imagine that baseball had an anti-semite in their midst. With a thousand players, it's certainly not out of the question. Should baseball suspend people, in an official capacity for controversial statements or political beliefs?

I can see why the league/commish would act on Schott...the owners are what, effectively contractors allowed into the league by the MLB main office, and the MLB main office is given extraordinary authority by Congress to regulate them and the game. Furthermore, there's no one else above the owners who has the authority to react to anything done by owners other than the League, while Ozzie has the team level to deal with, and I still think the team ought to care about this a lot more than the league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Shack...I get why baseball might be tempted, but let's imagine that baseball had an anti-semite in their midst. With a thousand players, it's certainly not out of the question. Should baseball suspend people, in an official capacity for controversial statements or political beliefs?

I can see why the league/commish would act on Schott...the owners are what, effectively contractors allowed into the league by the MLB main office, and the MLB main office is given extraordinary authority by Congress to regulate them and the game. Furthermore, there's no one else above the owners who has the authority to react to anything done by owners other than the League, while Ozzie has the team level to deal with, and I still think the team ought to care about this a lot more than the league.

That's where it gets really dicey.

Does that mean Luke Scott can be suspended for some of his idiotic comments?

Then you have the NBA, who fined one of their players who tweeted a picture of his girlfriend's butt blocking the t.v. in her thong.

In an election year, you can just imagine all the implications that go both ways. Baseball has never done anything to a player who refused to go to a White House ceremony after winning the World Series, for example. Nor should they.

Somewhere, there's that invisible line of demarcation that goes solely from Hispanics to something that would offend all humankind...that's when you start talking about Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc., in any kind of positive light.

But I can't even imagine anything more than a five game suspension for Stalin or Mao comments. There again, with Mao you could have "in the interest of the game" cited due to baseball's efforts to market itself in China/Taiwan (2008 Olympics, Dodgers playing an exhibition game there, major league teams establishing academies and putting on coaching clinics and tryouts).

Hitler is the 3rd rail, though. Do not touch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)

For example, former MLB Eric Show was a member of the John Birch Society, I'm pretty sure.

Or can we punish players/coaches like Gary Gaetti for proselytizing in clubhouses, based on separation of church and state/freedom of religion?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Frank Thomas ‏ @TheBigHurt_35

After spending years of my life with Ozzie Guillen I can honestly say he has never been this apologetic.

I know he is really hurting inside for what he said. If you really know him this was not his intentions at all.

Sounds about right. It's not news to anyone that Ozzie talks out of his ass and doesn't think about what he's saying until it's been said. This entire story is so much bigger than it should be, and part of the reason for that is some of those that are shouting the loudest and pointing their finger the hardest are doing it because attaching their name to this is beneficial to them in some way.

The first thing anyone should do before reacting to something that may be offensive to them is to consider the source. The world would be a different place and worse off than it is today if Ozzie Guillen the baseball manager is taken seriously when he's talking about anything other than baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)

I understand, but it's a catch-all that allows them to police anyone employed by the League or its teams, I imagine.

Ozzie is a fairly high-profile character as far as baseball celebrities go, and I imagine they don't wish anyone associated with them to openly disparage the suffering that any particular group has been afflicted with.

If I was Selig, I'd fine him and suspend him 5 games to be served concurrently with the Marlins' suspension...just to get my point across but not to have a practical effect on his management schedule.