What bullpen guys should KW go after?

SOXOBAMA

Yeah I don't see a reason to make anymore trades involving this team unless the injuries to Danks/Crain are more serious than once thought. Right now the kids are getting it done in the bullpen and besides the top tier guys who aren't for trade I don't think anyone we could acquire would be surefire upgrade.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
Yeah I don't see a reason to make anymore trades involving this team unless the injuries to Danks/Crain are more serious than once thought. Right now the kids are getting it done in the bullpen and besides the top tier guys who aren't for trade I don't think anyone we could acquire would be surefire upgrade.

A better hitting backup catcher would at least be useful if one were available.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
A better hitting backup catcher would at least be useful if one were available.

Does Flowers have any options remaining? I don't want to lose him for a marginal upgrade at backup catcher, especially when there is no guarantee A.J. will back next year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
Does Flowers have any options remaining? I don't want to lose him for a marginal upgrade at backup catcher, especially when there is no guarantee A.J. will back next year.

It would be foolish to let A.J. walk next year. The dude is getting better offensively as he ages. He probably has a good 2 years left in the tank. I think Flowers is a decent backup and dont feel an urgency to upgrade there.

I think we should definitley bring in one more veteran for the pen, but other than that- this team is solid. If Danks comes back strong we are golden with a rotation of Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Floyd and Danks to end the season.

Our offense is more than solid!

Our bullpen is young, but they seem pretty fearless out there and that impresses me. Hopefully Crain can come back strong, if not, im sure KW will address this issue.

Lets beat those Jays!

I would trade Floyd for Liriano...

Although it probably would be a wiser move to ADD Liriano without subtracting Floyd. The problem is that the Twins don't need Mitchell, they already have Span and Revere, who are similar players. The question is how long they want to hold onto Denard, and whether they believe he's worth the money they will be paying him in arbitration.

The next question is what besides Mitchell would it cost to get Liriano for the rest of the season. Probably at least one other piece...they will, like all teams, ask for Nathan Jones and get turned down.

So maybe Liriano for Mitchell and Santiago. That would be a trade which accomplishes things for both organizations.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
I would trade Floyd for Liriano...

Although it probably would be a wiser move to ADD Liriano without subtracting Floyd. The problem is that the Twins don't need Mitchell, they already have Span and Revere, who are similar players. The question is how long they want to hold onto Denard, and whether they believe he's worth the money they will be paying him in arbitration.

The next question is what besides Mitchell would it cost to get Liriano for the rest of the season. Probably at least one other piece...they will, like all teams, ask for Nathan Jones and get turned down.

So maybe Liriano for Mitchell and Santiago. That would be a trade which accomplishes things for both organizations.

The Sox haven't made a trade with Minnesota in over 25 years. I don't think they will start now.

I'm not eager at all to trade for a reliever, but I do understand the uneasiness associated with all the young guys. Getting Crain back and hopefully everyone else will be a nice start.

I would still rather trade for a middle relief guy than waste talent on a backup catcher.

If it were me though, I'd just stand pat. I have a feeling that is Kenny's plan too unless something wows him. He'll probably feel out the starting pitcher market as a "just to see" sort of thing, but at this point the only kind of starting pitcher it'd make sense to get is a top of the rotation guy.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 07:22 AM)
I'm not eager at all to trade for a reliever, but I do understand the uneasiness associated with all the young guys. Getting Crain back and hopefully everyone else will be a nice start.

I would still rather trade for a middle relief guy than waste talent on a backup catcher.

If it were me though, I'd just stand pat. I have a feeling that is Kenny's plan too unless something wows him. He'll probably feel out the starting pitcher market as a "just to see" sort of thing, but at this point the only kind of starting pitcher it'd make sense to get is a top of the rotation guy.

I agree. Should Greinke and Hamels become available, he will certainly do his due diligence, but I think this is a 2005 kind of deadline.

Trading for a backup catcher is pointless. Flowers can handle the staff and hold his own defensively. As long as a.j stays healthy this is a non concern.

As far as relievers...I'd love to get Huston street or Balfour... However like everyone else I wouldn't be interested in moving any pieces from within the top 10 prospects.

Jesse Crain, if healthy, equals a trade for a relief pitcher. The problem is that Crain has not really overcome his spring injury. But, if he comes back ready to play in late July or so we have a real good set up man to work with Thornton and the others. We have so many rookies in pressure situations that an experienced pitcher might be good. However, quite possibly these young guys don't know they are supposed to be scared.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
None, to answer the question.

Using scarce resources to chase veteran middle relievers is foolish.

Several of our rookies will produce what those guys can produce.

I like this one. The Sox probably won't get another great deal like the Youk trade either.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
I like this one. The Sox probably won't get another great deal like the Youk trade either.

The White Sox were the top bidder for him. The Red Sox didn't want to send him to the AL, so you know they got a better offer from Chicago than anyone else.

•Jonathan Broxton, Royals - The Royals are open to moving Broxton, but they aren't about to give him away for nothing.

•Matt Capps, Twins - It sounds as though the Twins are willing to listen to offers for Capps, who was recently activated from the disabled list after recovering from shoulder inflammation. The trade candidate has a 3.42 ERA with a 16K/4BB ratio in 26 1/3 innings.

•Grant Balfour, Athletics - Balfour has a 3.14 ERA with 6.7 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 so far this season. His contract includes a $4.5MM club option for 2013. Click here for more on Balfour.

•Brandon League, Mariners - League's trade value has diminished this year, but he still has a 3.35 ERA and recent success as a closer.

•Huston Street, Padres - Street has a 1.13 ERA with 12.0 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 for the Padres and is definitely a midseason trade candidate. His contract includes a mutual option for 2013.

•Kevin Gregg, Orioles - The Orioles were shopping Gregg earlier this year. He has a 4.07 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 4.8 BB/9 through 23 appearances.

•Rafael Betancourt and Matt Belisle, Rockies - The Rockies would have to be overwhelmed to trade either pitcher, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported last month.

•Francisco Rodriguez, Brewers - If the Brewers become sellers, they could trade Rodriguez. The Mets are one interested team.

•Brett Myers, Astros - The Astros are prepared to move Myers, who has pitched well in his return to the bullpen. Click here for more on Myers.

•Shawn Camp, Cubs - Camp leads the NL with 43 appearances and he has a 2.80 ERA. Yet he's a 36-year-old on a one-year deal, so the Cubs could flip him for prospects.

•Casey Janssen, Blue Jays - The Blue Jays need Janssen now, but if they do decide to sell he’d draw interest.

•Brad Lincoln, Pirates - The Diamondbacks and Padres might have some degree of interest in Lincoln, who's enjoying a breakout season.

•Joel Hanrahan, Pirates - I don’t expect the Pirates to trade Hanrahan now that they’re leading the NL Central. But if they had to part with him to get an impact bat, they might listen.

•Brandon Lyon, Astros - Lyon has a 3.24 ERA with 9.5 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 so some teams might be willing to overlook that $5.5MM salary.

•Mark Lowe, Rangers - It appeared earlier in the year that the Rangers were willing to listen on Lowe and Scott Feldman.

•Wade Davis, Rays - Davis has a 3.12 ERA with 9.4 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 since the Rays moved him to the bullpen, so it wouldn't be surprising to see him draw interest

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/pote...-relievers.html

Wade Davis is quite an interesting idea, mainly because of his ability to be a swingman and starter as well for us.

Edited by caulfield12