In typical KW fashion, will his big offseason move be A-Rod?

caulfield12

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 13, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
Strasburg probably doesn't.

That depends. Does Strasburg care about winning now or maximizing his career earning potential? Now he has less innings on his arm and his team was upset in the playoffs without its ace, which makes him seem more valuable. That's Boras for you.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 14, 2012 -> 04:05 AM)
That depends. Does Strasburg care about winning now or maximizing his career earning potential? Now he has less innings on his arm and his team was upset in the playoffs without its ace, which makes him seem more valuable. That's Boras for you.

Everything I've seen/heard from Strasburg makes it seem like he desperately wanted to try and help the Nats win now.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 14, 2012 -> 04:16 AM)
Yup, exactly what Boras wants you to think.

What convinced me was when he pitched that game against the Marlins (I believe) which he just got rocked and they immediately shut him down after the game because he supposedly wasn't sleeping well due to the decision.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 13, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Everything I've seen/heard from Strasburg makes it seem like he desperately wanted to try and help the Nats win now.

If that's the case, then yes, Strasburg may now regret hiring the "best" agent in baseball, who cares 100% about $$$$.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 13, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
What convinced me was when he pitched that game against the Marlins (I believe) which he just got rocked and they immediately shut him down after the game because he supposedly wasn't sleeping well due to the decision.

They shut him down then because he got rocked and it's easier to say that he needs to rest. If he took his next start and pitched 8 shutout innings, how do you tell your fanbase that he can't pitch anymore? Much easier to do after a horrible start.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 14, 2012 -> 04:20 AM)
They shut him down then because he got rocked and it's easier to say that he needs to rest. If he took his next start and pitched 8 shutout innings, how do you tell your fanbase that he can't pitch anymore? Much easier to do after a horrible start.

He just looked like a totally different pitcher in that game. I see your point though about making it easier to shut him down.

I'm trying to figure out:

(1) Would the Yankees ever pick up the $18-$20 million per year they would need to pick up to make dealing A-Rod palatable. (many say no)

(2) Would the new team have to pick up the marketing bonuses for his 700th home run, 763 home run, etc. (this could be a deal killer)

(3) Who would the Yankees replace him with at 3rd base? They would have just as big a problem as the White Sox would have in replacing Youkilis. (could be the ultimate deal killer).

They could wait out one more year and make a run at Chase Headley or David Wright. No need to do it 2013. He's likely to still have an above average year.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure they'd get a taker at anything less than them picking up $80-$100 million of the $114 million in salary and $20 million of the $30 million in marketing bonuses. At that level of payment, it may make more sense to keep him and see if he turns it around.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 14, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)
I'm trying to figure out:

(1) Would the Yankees ever pick up the $18-$20 million per year they would need to pick up to make dealing A-Rod palatable. (many say no)

(2) Would the new team have to pick up the marketing bonuses for his 700th home run, 763 home run, etc. (this could be a deal killer)

At the end of the day, I'm not sure they'd get a taker at anything less than them picking up $80-$100 million of the $114 million in salary and $20 million of the $30 million in marketing bonuses. At that level of payment, it may make more sense to keep him and see if he turns it around.

Williams: How about Nick Swisher for Alex Rodriguez, but you eat a large portion of his salary and all of the clown bonuses that someone managed to write in.

Cashman: What? Nick Swisher is on our team already. He's been on our team for 4 years, hitting .270 with 105 HR and 349 RBI.

Williams: ...

Cashman: Oh.

Regarding bonuses and salaries- is it permissible to write safeguards against PED usage into the literature of a contract (or if not the contract itself, something you could insure against along the lines of what you see with some injuries)? Ideally, there would be something in the collective bargaining agreement, but I doubt there is seeing as MLPA didn't even want to allow tests that draw blood.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I would agree that getting tghe A-Rod is an intriguing idea, but a few years past being a major impact move. I would hate to think we would satrt giving up young talent again for a player on the decline. But, I don't see the Yankees doing this. If it did I would imagine you would have a reenergized A-Rod for at leat one year. He could put up some real good numbers but would it last the term of his contract?