Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't think there is any way the Marlins accept that.

The only "somewhat" proven player there is Viciedo, and the only promising prospect is Thompson. The rest are borderline guys.

No kidding. I'd do that and run away laughing/

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was primarily doing it as a joke. It's sad that we'd still do it and they'd laugh, and those are, for the most part, 6 of the Sox better prospects.

AND I WAS JOKING...I had no intentions of that ever being taken serious ever because I just went on a rant about this like 2 weeks ago and how much I hate it.

(it is still fun to fantasize about Stanton in the lineup)

Edited by witesoxfan

Stanton for Sale, Viciedo, Reed/Jones and Thompson would probably be the asking price.

The thing is, Sale has the same amount of service time, so both of those guys get much more expensive in 2014...which is something the Marlins would be avoiding by trading him this season when he'll cost under $1 million, versus the following season, when he's expected to be at $7+ million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 02:38 AM)
Stanton for Sale, Viciedo, Reed/Jones and Thompson would probably be the asking price.

The thing is, Sale has the same amount of service time, so both of those guys get much more expensive in 2014...which is something the Marlins would be avoiding by trading him this season when he'll cost under $1 million, versus the following season, when he's expected to be at $7+ million.

I hope the Chinese government is not aware that you are smoking weed and coming up with these ideas.

Essentially, value wise , player to player...

Sale = Stanton

Sale has an extra year, just destroyed the AL...but he's a pitcher, so there are injury concerns.

But you are willing to give Reed or Jones, Viciedo, and Thompson?

f***.

I mean...what? Seriously? C'mon man.

(WHAT HAVE I DONE?! CLOSE THIS CAN OF WORMS, CLOSE THIS CAN OF WORMS, CLOSE THIS CAN OF WORMS)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 02:44 AM)
I hope the Chinese government is not aware that you are smoking weed and coming up with these ideas.

Essentially, value wise , player to player...

Sale = Stanton

Sale has an extra year, just destroyed the AL...but he's a pitcher, so there are injury concerns.

But you are willing to give Reed or Jones, Viciedo, and Thompson?

f***.

I mean...what? Seriously? C'mon man.

(WHAT HAVE I DONE?! CLOSE THIS CAN OF WORMS, CLOSE THIS CAN OF WORMS, CLOSE THIS CAN OF WORMS)

Seriously.

I'd offer up...

Viciedo + Quintana/Santiago + Sanchez/Jones + Marinez (for the lols)

Even then I feel it's short...

Edited by Quinarvy

I don't believe when you become a professional athlete you stop being human. Leaving your kids for months at a time should be difficult no matter what you do for a living or how much you are compensated. So whether we are discussing soldiers getting paid $, business people getting paid $$, off shore oil workers getting paid $$$, or athletes getting paid $$$$$, I have empathy for anyone who wants to be with his kids and have a choice in where they are living.

Do you really think when you are walking out the door saying goodbye to your son, telling him you will see him in a month he really cares how much you make or what you do for a living? Daddy, will you be at my kindergarten graduation? No, I have to be in Cleveland. Daddy will you be able to see me in my first game like the other dads? No, those dads only make a little money, your daddy makes millions, so I will not be there. But you should be happy I make so much money, you can have anything you want, except a dad at graduation and your first game.

I teach so many kids whose parents aren't around. Some voluntary, some involuntary. Bottom line, the parents aren't there and it sucks for the kids.

I appreciate the point that they make a lot of money, and they get to play a game for a living. They travel first class, and have all the accouterments of luxury. Their financial futures are secure.

But they are still human, their kids are still human. To think that somehow your kids won't miss you because you are a baseball player earning millions isn't right. To think you won't miss them because of your bank account balance isn't right. I don't believe there is much comfort in money and applause when it comes to the bonds of a parent and their children.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
I don't believe when you become a professional athlete you stop being human. Leaving your kids for months at a time should be difficult no matter what you do for a living or how much you are compensated. So whether we are discussing soldiers getting paid $, business people getting paid $$, off shore oil workers getting paid $$$, or athletes getting paid $$$$$, I have empathy for anyone who wants to be with his kids and have a choice in where they are living.

Do you really think when you are walking out the door saying goodbye to your son, telling him you will see him in a month he really cares how much you make or what you do for a living? Daddy, will you be at my kindergarten graduation? No, I have to be in Cleveland. Daddy will you be able to see me in my first game like the other dads? No, those dads only make a little money, your daddy makes millions, so I will not be there. But you should be happy I make so much money, you can have anything you want, except a dad at graduation and your first game.

I teach so many kids whose parents aren't around. Some voluntary, some involuntary. Bottom line, the parents aren't there and it sucks for the kids.

I appreciate the point that they make a lot of money, and they get to play a game for a living. They travel first class, and have all the accouterments of luxury. Their financial futures are secure.

But they are still human, their kids are still human. To think that somehow your kids won't miss you because you are a baseball player earning millions isn't right. To think you won't miss them because of your bank account balance isn't right. I don't believe there is much comfort in money and applause when it comes to the bonds of a parent and their children.

Are kids banned in Canada? How is Buehrle's family situation any different than it has been the rest of his career? The beautiful thing about it, is if being away is too much, he has mad enough money in his early 30s to stay home the rest of his life and never work again.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)

When those kids receive a brand new Mustang for their 16th birthday, they'll undertand why daddy wasn't there for graduation from kindergarten.

Does anyone disagree with this: Bottom line, I believe good parents want to be with their kids, I believe most children want to be with their parents. I have empathy for parents (regardless of what they do for a living) and especially children, when that can't happen.

I don't believe you can buy your way out of that. I don't believe money can replace being there as a parent. "Sorry I missed out on most all the important moments in your life, here's a car"! And honestly, I don't believe YASNY believes that a car really replaces anything. Is not being there and then buying kids things really how anyone wants to raise their children?

And I agree Mark's situation is better than some truck driver struggling to pay bills who can't pay off his kids later with new cars. He has the resources to fly his family to him on off days. But imagine being the kid who is leaving your new best friend because your dad gets traded. Are you going to swap your best friend for a new bike? Swap your school for a the latest gaming console and be happy?

I have empathy for the kids and adults in that position. Not sympathy, empathy. But maybe money can buy happiness.

If you were a friend of an athlete who is sitting in your living room and says I'm really bummed, I have to move again. The kids are just getting settled in, they have new friends, are comfortable with the school, and now we have to move. If they stay with me we have to get rid of their dog. What would you say?

Just buy them a car when they turn 16 and they will forget about it?

It's your choice, you could quit.

You are playing baseball for a living, your kids just have to deal with it?

I would say with empathy, man that is tough. Have you thought about some ways to help out the kids? Maybe have a couple of their friends come up north this summer? That is also what I think YASNY and NSS would say. Which is why I'm confused they are disagreeing with me here.

Anyhow, unless someone quotes me directly, I'm not certain what more I can say. It seems like some of you are saying f*** it. they are rich and don't have feelings like the rest of us. Or because he is blessed to play a game for a living his kids don't need him at home every night. If I am misreading that. I apologize.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
Does anyone disagree with this: Bottom line, I believe good parents want to be with their kids, I believe most children want to be with their parents. I have empathy for parents (regardless of what they do for a living) and especially children, when that can't happen.

I don't believe you can buy your way out of that. I don't believe money can replace being there as a parent. "Sorry I missed out on most all the important moments in your life, here's a car"! And honestly, I don't believe YASNY believes that a car really replaces anything. Is not being there and then buying kids things really how anyone wants to raise their children?

And I agree Mark's situation is better than some truck driver struggling to pay bills who can't pay off his kids later with new cars. He has the resources to fly his family to him on off days. But imagine being the kid who is leaving your new best friend because your dad gets traded. Are you going to swap your best friend for a new bike? Swap your school for a the latest gaming console and be happy?

I have empathy for the kids and adults in that position. Not sympathy, empathy. But maybe money can buy happiness.

If you were a friend of an athlete who is sitting in your living room and says I'm really bummed, I have to move again. The kids are just getting settled in, they have new friends, are comfortable with the school, and now we have to move. If they stay with me we have to get rid of their dog. What would you say?

I would say with empathy, man that is tough. Have you thought about some ways to help out the kids? Maybe have a couple of their friends come up north this summer? That is also what I think YASNY and NSS would say. Which is why I'm confused they are disagreeing with me here.

Anyhow, unless someone quotes me directly, I'm not certain what more I can say. It seems like some of you are saying f*** it. they are rich and don't have feelings like the rest of us. Or because he is blessed to play a game for a living his kids don't need him at home every night. If I am misreading that. I apologize.

I think you are misreading the point. First off, in the case of Buehrle, I don't think his kids are old enough to be really forming deep friendships and their in season home is different from their offseason home anyway. Mark Buehrle didn't move his family to Florida for the entire year. Just the baseball season, and if being with his family full time is needed, he has made plenty of money BEFORE he ever went to the Marlins, to walk away from baseball, be with his family every day, and lead a far more comfortable life than the average person. In fact, he has talked about retiring for a couple of years, but the money seemingly was too hard to pass up.

His kids will be in Toronto. A world class city. They can make new friends, and have new experiences. Sometimes broadening their experiences could be a positive. They will see their father just as much as before, and the trip from Missouri to Toronto is 400 miles closer than it was to Miami. His dog on the other hand is out of luck, and as a dog owner, I know that probably hurts Buehrle more than most non pet owners would ever know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
I think you are misreading the point. First off, in the case of Buehrle, I don't think his kids are old enough to be really forming deep friendships and their in season home is different from their offseason home anyway. Mark Buehrle didn't move his family to Florida for the entire year. Just the baseball season, and if being with his family full time is needed, he has made plenty of money BEFORE he ever went to the Marlins, to walk away from baseball, be with his family every day, and lead a far more comfortable life than the average person. In fact, he has talked about retiring for a couple of years, but the money seemingly was too hard to pass up.

His kids will be in Toronto. A world class city. They can make new friends, and have new experiences. Sometimes broadening their experiences could be a positive. They will see their father just as much as before, and the trip from Missouri to Toronto is 400 miles closer than it was to Miami. His dog on the other hand is out of luck, and as a dog owner, I know that probably hurts Buehrle more than most non pet owners would ever know.

Dick, do you have kids? Every friendship is deep to young kids. Plus they lose 100% of their friends when they move. You are a dog owner and understand that, I moved four times as a kid and moved my kids twice so I understand that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Dick, do you have kids? Every friendship is deep to young kids. Plus they lose 100% of their friends when they move. You are a dog owner and understand that, I moved four times as a kid and moved my kids twice so I understand that.

There is a huge difference between you moving and Buehrle spending the summer in a different city. Instead of moving, just say you father took a different job in the summer, and you would go live where he worked during the summer. Is it that huge of a deal he would be in Miami one summer and Toronto the next? Any of these deep friendships the Buehrle's 3 and 4 year olds made in Miami, are 5 or 6 months old.

Making new friends isn't as big of a deal when you 3 or 4 years old. They have a unique life. Winter friends and summer friends. These are NOT permanent moves. He lives in Missouri. His kids will always have those friends. They just "summer" in a different city. It's probably a nice cultural experience for them. By the time they are 8 or 9 years old, Buerhle will be retired, sitting on another $35 million or so after taxes. If it is such a horrible thing, you should take the Buehrles to task for being horrible parents by having their kids go through all of this so he can play a game and make millions, not feeling sorry for them, after all, they did chase the money when they left Chicago.

Unlike typical families, Buehrle should have the financial security at his young age to make a choice. If this is bad for his kids, he doesn't have to play baseball. He doesn't need to make any more money.

Put it this way, his kids just take a long summer vacation every year. For the first few years of their lives, it was in Burr Ridge. Last year it was in Miami. Now it will be in Toronto.

Edited by Dick Allen

You what Tex? People all have issues. Sometimes a family has to do what it has to do and that's just a fact of life. Life is hard. It takes work. It's not some liberal pie-in-sky utopia that you guys think it should be. It never has been and it never will be. Deal with it. ... Unrolling my eyes, now.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
You what Tex? People all have issues. Sometimes a family has to do what it has to do and that's just a fact of life. Life is hard. It takes work. It's not some liberal pie-in-sky utopia that you guys think it should be. It never has been and it never will be. Deal with it. ... Unrolling my eyes, now.

As much as I hated moving during middle school, I grew exponentially as a person because of it.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)

Having a dad home at night is pie in the sky utopia? I thought it was Republican family values. Yes it is hard work. I believe it takes being there, you believe you can buy replace being there with a car when they turn 16. Money replacing parenting, wow. That is a strange way of "dealing with it". You are really disagreeing that a parent should want to be there with the kids in a stable home environment and when they can't be,it's a bad thing.

And Dick, I keep taking in generalities, trying to keep this not just about mark. However, specific to a player's life, baseball summer is spring training to the end of the season. Basically he's away from his kids March-May and September - October while they are in school. That looks like five months to me, then, unless they travel with him, half of June-August is spent on the road. So unless my math is bad, six and a half months a baseball player is away from his kids. I do feel empathy for all of them. Whether they are earning $400,000 or $14,000,000. I know it is a choice they make, but I believe many miss their kids.

I also have empathy for firefighters, oil rib workers, migrant workers, diplomats, and anyone else struggling to be the best parents they can be. But hey, I'm a liberal as YASNY points out and that ignores a fact of life. We can't have empathy for people who make a lot of money and then complain they can't be with their kids.

I will continue to have empathy for all families that are trying to raise their kids by being there and cannot. That is regardless of income. I disagree that kids whose dads make a lot of money don't require him to be around as long as he buys them cars and stuff.

Ok .. granted that I made an off the cuff remark about the Mustang. You can now get off that point, I yeild. Still, I stand by my last post. Life and the individual circumstances that we all experience at times are a real b****. And, you do actually have to face it and deal with. Empathize to your hearts content, but the fact remains that it's not all sunny days and flowery, butterfly filled meadows.

Well a few factors that are quite different for MLB players and other professions that require being away:

1) MLB players can almost always afford to have their family travel with them, or for portions of the season/spring training.

2) MLB Players can also afford to move around their family when playing for a different team, and they can always rent houses until they get in a more stable position.

3) MLB players get quite a bit of time off to be at home, yes they workout and such but for the most part they are with their families at home.

4) Most are retired by age 35, and many families don't start much before then. They could be with their kids at an early age and still be retired with plenty of money in the bank.

Yes, they travel quite a bit and could be traded without notice, and it could very well be hard on some families. That said, it's not too different from what many other families have to endure to keep food on the table plus these guys make more than almost any other profession.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Ok .. granted that I made an off the cuff remark about the Mustang. You can now get off that point, I yeild. Still, I stand by my last post. Life and the individual circumstances that we all experience at times are a real b****. And, you do actually have to face it and deal with. Empathize to your hearts content, but the fact remains that it's not all sunny days and flowery, butterfly filled meadows.

And I never disagreed with the points you are making here. I disagree that given enough money a parent doesn't need to be, or should even feel bad about, not being their for his kids.

No doubt, money can make it better. But it still doesn't replace 6 and a half months away a year away from his kids if they chose to live in another country or four months a year if they are in the same house.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)

And I never disagreed with the points you are making here. I disagree that given enough money a parent doesn't need to be, or should even feel bad about, not being their for his kids.

No doubt, money can make it better. But it still doesn't replace 6 and a half months away a year away from his kids if they chose to live in another country or four months a year if they are in the same house.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)

If those things were that important to M-56, then he shouldn't have taken a contract where it was obvious from the start he was going to get traded, no matter how many lies they told to him about keeping him.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)

Let's face facts, for whatever reason, possibly the simple fact he played for the Sox so long, there's a lot of anti Buehrle sentiment on this site. Read this thread and tell me there's not a negative vibe. I don't understand it, but it's more of the philosophy of sports fans that never ceases to confound me. Buehrle should be loved on this site. The Sox should get him back. But that's in a perfect world. Why fans don't worship this guy as an all-time favorite Sox is beyond me. Mark Buehrle is everything great about pitching. Works fast, is a HUGE winner, seemingly a great tutor to younger pitchers. I love the guy and wish he was on our staff.

I'd like a sports psychologist to tell me why a guy like Buehrle is not beloved by Sox fans. Weird.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Let's face facts, for whatever reason, possibly the simple fact he played for the Sox so long, there's a lot of anti Buehrle sentiment on this site. Read this thread and tell me there's not a negative vibe. I don't understand it, but it's more of the philosophy of sports fans that never ceases to confound me. Buehrle should be loved on this site. The Sox should get him back. But that's in a perfect world. Why fans don't worship this guy as an all-time favorite Sox is beyond me. Mark Buehrle is everything great about pitching. Works fast, is a HUGE winner, seemingly a great tutor to younger pitchers. I love the guy and wish he was on our staff.

I'd like a sports psychologist to tell me why a guy like Buehrle is not beloved by Sox fans. Weird.

Are you f***ing high?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:40 PM)
LMAO

And greg, no sports psychologist needed. Nobody said they didnt like Buehrle

I sense a negative Buehrle vibe in all the threads discussing him. And whenever I suggest we bring him back there's huge negativity re. Mark.