Quintana vs. Santiago

maggsmaggs

Quintana vs. Santiago?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who you taking between Quintana and Santiago?

• Jose Quintana
    • Hector Santiago

I think this might be the most interesting battle of Spring Training. Both are young lefties who are very different in pitching style.

Let's assume Danks is healthy and it's one of them for the fifth starter position. who you taking?

As much as I like Quintana, I like Santiago a little more. His stuff is better and he has the higher upside.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
I think this might be the most interesting battle of Spring Training. Both are young lefties who are very different in pitching style.

Let's assume Danks is healthy and it's one of them for the fifth starter position. who you taking?

As much as I like Quintana, I think Santiago a little more. His stuff is better and he has the higher upside.

Santiago definitely has the higher upside but imo until Quintana proves he can't get the job done, it's his to lose.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
Santiago definitely has the higher upside but imo until Quintana proves he can't get the job done, it's his to lose.

I concur. I'd like to see what Santiago is made of, but if Q can keep pitching close to how he did last year, keep him in the role.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
I think you hit it on the head. Q is higher floor, and lower ceiling. He is much more consistent.

I agree and I think the two represent the old pitcher vs. thrower argument. Quintana showed a way above average ability to trick hitters with 3 different speeds and movements during his dominating run.

Hector, as I understand it, has the plus fastball for a lefty but lacks anything close to the off-speed trickyness that Q possesses.

So going into the season I think it is Q's job in a landslide until, like others are saying, he proves he can't replicate his success. It would be in Hector's best interest to kick ass in ST and AAA to keep the pressure on our MLB staff and Hahn.

Santiago. Stuff plays.

Unless Q is gonna turn into Buehrle, finess pitching in his second year is gonna get him rocked. That (and of course being gassed) got him at the end of last season already.

I do however, like the mental approach by both of them. Unlike some members of the staff... FLOYD. (No coughs.)

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Unless Q is gonna turn into Buehrle

Comparing their age 23 seasons:

K% BB% HR/9 GB% FB% GB/FB
Buehrle 13.6 6.2 0.94 46.6 31.5 1.48
Quintana 14.3 7.4 0.92 47.2 31.1 1.52

Obviously Buehrle threw more innings that season and his durability is second to none. But their repertoire and peripherals are quite similar. Even if Q is Buehrle-lite, it's still valuable. I'd stick with him next season.

Santiago will probably get the nod until he implodes.

4.23 FIP

4.33 xFIP

5.16 tERA

4.50 SIERA

Was his August, and September meltdowns due to regression, league adjustment or just because he never pitched that many innings before? They got almost 200 IP out of him between Charlotte and Chicago.

Well a lot will depend on the health of John Danks... I wouldn't be shocked to see a 6-man rotation at times throughout the year to give Danks, Sale and Peavy some extra rest. I think Q and Santiago will both get opportunities to have pleanty of starts this season.

However, if it was one or the other- i'm going with Q. Santiago is the perfect long man/ spot starter. He is more versatile.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Well a lot will depend on the health of John Danks... I wouldn't be shocked to see a 6-man rotation at times throughout the year to give Danks, Sale and Peavy some extra rest. I think Q and Santiago will both get opportunities to have pleanty of starts this season.

However, if it was one or the other- i'm going with Q. Santiago is the perfect long man/ spot starter. He is more versatile.

I don't think Santiago does well at all in the long man role and I don't think he ever will.

His offspeed stuff is too unique and control on it (keeping it at the bottom of the zone) is the biggest issue I saw for him last year. The obvious way around that is to be working a good number of innings and to have a legit routine.

Furthermore, I didn't feel like he gained anything as a reliever. If you look at his velocity charts, his fastball at the end of the year when he was starting was basically at the same speed as what he threw out of the bullpen to start the year, so it's not like putting in the bullpen helped him keep his velocity up or allowed him to throw harder either.

Since I've always been something of a detractor of Quintana's (I won't be convinced he's neo-Buehrle until he's done it for a few years), I'm going with Santiago. However, I will be delighted to be proven wrong. It's really hard to argue that Q doesn't deserve a shot.

Quintana had a few starts last season where he went deep into the game. However, he also had a few starts where he was roughed up early. Given that, he looks like an adequate although sometime shakey #5 starter.

Santiago failed as a Closer and as a reliever. In my opinion Hector does not always look comfortable pitching from a wind-up. He just does not seem to get into the rhythm required of a starting pitcher who wants to have consistency and pitch deep into games. I am not sure what role the Sox want him to fill in 2013 unless it is long relief. Eventually I hope he develops into a consistent #4 or #5 starter and if he can do that this season, then great.

At the end of the day, I would sign Kyle Lohse and not rely on either one of these pitchers, or for that matter, on Danks comeback being a sure thing. Too too many question marks.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Quintana had a 5.11 ERA, .307 BAA, and allowed 1 HR every 7 IP in the 2nd half. Hopefully, he is the pitcher somewhere between the 3.67 ERA he posted in July and 4.20 ERA he posted in August.

He also put up over 80 IP more than his former career high, 136 of them at the major league level.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 02:15 AM)
At the end of the day, I would sign Kyle Lohse and not rely on either one of these pitchers, or for that matter, on Danks comeback being a sure thing. Too too many question marks.

I'd do this too. Losing a first round pick in a very bad draft isn't enough to dissuade me, besides that could be offset somewhat by what they could get in return for trading Floyd.