Gavin Floyd to DL - Out 14-19 months for TJ Surgery

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
I'll bet there's a 50/50 shot that he signs a minor league deal with the ChiSox in the offseason.

He'll get a major league deal from someone if not the Sox.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2013 -> 04:57 AM)
Floyd is the kind of pitcher if you don't have in your rotation, you are looking for someone like him. Or have we all forgotten the White Sox fifth starter derby's?

True, but the tantalizing talent he has is just so frustrating to watch...for whatever reason, I found it much more difficult to watch him than I did Contreras...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 3, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
True, but the tantalizing talent he has is just so frustrating to watch...for whatever reason, I found it much more difficult to watch him than I did Contreras...

When Jose first got here, he was the most frustrating pitcher I watched since Jaime Navarro, though that was more of murderous rage than just regular old frustration.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2013 -> 07:40 AM)
When Jose first got here, he was the most frustrating pitcher I watched since Jaime Navarro, though that was more of murderous rage than just regular old frustration.

But man when he turned it on mid-05 he was basically unhittable for a calendar year. Easily the most dominant stretch by any White Sox starter I can remember in my lifetime.

As a Sox fan I hope Gavin Floyd recovers and has a long and great career. Pitchers that have been able to perform like he has for us do not grow on trees. He is a talented right handed starter and agood guy besides. Really sad to see some of the negative post from people that you would think know baseball and are Sox fans besides. You never want to see anyone and in this case a baseball player suffer an injury that might be career ending.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
This one hurts because I really felt the Sox should have dealt Floyd this offseason. I've always been a big fan of Floyd's talent, but I feel they could have added a little more to the team with his $9.5 freed up and any prospect they would have brought in would have been worth it.

This has ALWAYS been a crux for this team....not knowing when to let players for something in return when they're peak value.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
This has ALWAYS been a crux for this team....not knowing when to let players for something in return when they're peak value.

You also need to win. So if someone's at peak value, in theory, they are the most valuable to your team at that point. Players aren't just stocks.

Nats should dump Bryce Harper before his stock goes down.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
You also need to win. So if someone's at peak value, in theory, they are the most valuable to your team at that point. Players aren't just stocks.

Nats should dump Bryce Harper before his stock goes down.

I think you are just arguing the point and not Floyd specifically. I agree with your point, but Floyd was obviously not at his peak value. He was worth a lot more in the offseason than he would have been at the deadline, and he's obviously worthless in a trade now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
I think you are just arguing the point and not Floyd specifically. I agree with your point, but Floyd was obviously not at his peak value. He was worth a lot more in the offseason than he would have been at the deadline, and he's obviously worthless in a trade now.

But if they dumped him for less than what was perceived as market value at the time the argument goes the other way. The Sox have been shopping him for years with no realistic takers in their eyes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
But if they dumped him for less than what was perceived as market value at the time the argument goes the other way. The Sox have been shopping him for years with no realistic takers in their eyes.

Well then it depends on what their offers were and what they were expecting. Their perceptions were quite clearly different than everyone else's perceptions, and at some point, your perceptions could very well be off.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Really sucks for Floyd. Going into free agency and now having surgery.

I guess he could pitch later next year, after all-star break.

I wish him well. But I'm done thinking about him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Really sucks for Floyd. Going into free agency and now having surgery.

I guess he could pitch later next year, after all-star break.

Most pitchers are back throwing in games around 12 months and then ~18 months plus back to ~ normal (or sometimes even stronger) with this surgery, so it's possible he could set a goal of opening day next year and hit it.

Of course, if he signed with the White Sox again, he'd hurt his arm while signing the contract and that'd be it for next year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
I said they should have traded him, I didn't say they should have accepted the offers they had for him. Calm the f*** down.

So they should have made a magical trade that did not exist? What a silly statement.