2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 2, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I don't know if that's necessarily true. Gray has a higher risk but also a higher ceiling. Bryant is probably the most valuable player of that draft IMO. He has MVP type potential.

I would say however that Rodon is the best LHP prospect in the game right now. He's better than Heaney, Biddle, Uurittia, etc. This guy is Liriano (pre TJ) meets Price. His slider should rank as an 80 if not, a 75. Really no glaring holes in his game either, smooth mechanics, good frame, out pitch, results, makeup, etc. It all measures up. I think Hoffman is the second best player in the draft and the guy I hope the Sox get but whichever writer said he can challenge Rodon for the #1 is wrong. Barring an injury Rodon should waltz to the #1 in July.

To the poster who brought up Boras, I am sure of the rules in MLB for hiring agents but Scott Boras is already listed as an advisor to Rodon so it seems that match is inevitable.

Fair enough. Appel wasn't looked at as an underslot, value signing though. That was my point. They haven't made a habit of going under slot in round 1. They did it once with Correa.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Fair enough. Appel wasn't looked at as an underslot, value signing though. That was my point. They haven't made a habit of going under slot in round 1. They did it once with Correa.

And it's not like Correa was a bad prospect to begin with. This isn't like the Royals taking Christian Colon.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
We're going pitching at #3 so I hope we land a great starting pitcher to go with Sale and Quintana.

I don't think the front office knows what they hell they're doing at #3 so it's pretty short-sighted to say they're definitely going pitching on February 6th.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
I don't think the front office knows what they hell they're doing at #3 so it's pretty short-sighted to say they're definitely going pitching on February 6th.

I'd bet money on the Sox going with pitching at #3 overall. Selecting near the top we will have an excellent choice of potential impact players and a premium arm would do wonders to bolster our system. Once Johnson graduates to the bigs we don't really have many 'high' upside arms with the potential to be frontline starters. A guy like Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, etc would be a huge boost for a club looking to build a contender.

Alex Jackson looks like he will be a very solid player, but idk if the Sox believe he can stay behind the plate long term. Trea Turner is an exciting prospect who I wouldn't mind taking either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Hell, the savings the White Sox got in their top few rounds last year allowed them the money it took to sign a guy like Trey Michalczewski later on, and they wound up having more than a couple guys who had 3rd round talent out of it.

FWIW, Jacob May was the first player taken that many assumed was chosen for the purpose of his signability. He became a top 10 prospect in our system by the end of the season, per some lists.

I know a lot can change in the next four months, but my concern is Rodon and Hoffman will distance themselves as the top two guys. According to Dan Hayes, at Soxfest it was seemed the Sox were interested in adding college pitching. At least now, it seems pretty thin after Rodon and Hoffman, unless Beede or Nola interests you. I hope that a few other guys break out and make a solid top 5 at least.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
This isn't a quote but pretty close to what Hahn said, "Right now five of the top six guys are pitchers so I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with one." Then he went on to talk about if the Sox sign someone underslot in the 1st it gives them loads of flexibility for the rest of the draft due to the top heavy bonus structure. I'm just throwing this out there, but if they like a guy like Kolek, but he has a setback or a poor season and falls to like the 8-10 spots and they sign him under slot we have a chance to take a 1st round talent in the 2nd or throw a bunch of money at a high school kid in the top ten rounds. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this strategy because it's all about the players.

Everyone points to what the Royals did with Hunter Dozier at #8 last year. Dozier had a great season is performing up to par with his slot. I think that worked out wonderfully so far but obviously it all hinges on the success they have with Manaea.

A lot of people on the board really didn't like that pick on draft day. It was called nepotism because I believe he's Carlos May's grandnephew or something?

Nowadays, that pick gets a lot of love from a handful of writers. He's been mentioned as a big dark horse in our system a couple times by mainstream outlets.

That's unsettling to me, as I'd always want BAP, especially that high in the draft. What I could see them doing is going way under slot for a college player, who is further along and more major league ready, then roll the dice on over slot, high upside high schoolers the rest of the way. We do have the 43rd overall and 78th overall picks for elite high school guys. I just get the feeling the Sox really don't want to "miss" at #3 overall.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
This isn't a quote but pretty close to what Hahn said, "Right now five of the top six guys are pitchers so I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with one." Then he went on to talk about if the Sox sign someone underslot in the 1st it gives them loads of flexibility for the rest of the draft due to the top heavy bonus structure. I'm just throwing this out there, but if they like a guy like Kolek, but he has a setback or a poor season and falls to like the 8-10 spots and they sign him under slot we have a chance to take a 1st round talent in the 2nd or throw a bunch of money at a high school kid in the top ten rounds. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this strategy because it's all about the players.

Everyone points to what the Royals did with Hunter Dozier at #8 last year. Dozier had a great season is performing up to par with his slot. I think that worked out wonderfully so far but obviously it all hinges on the success they have with Manaea.

A lot of people on the board really didn't like that pick on draft day. It was called nepotism because I believe he's Carlos May's grandnephew or something?

Nowadays, that pick gets a lot of love from a handful of writers. He's been mentioned as a big dark horse in our system a couple times by mainstream outlets.

It is really hard to go underslot with a high school player. They have all of the leverage in that situation.

The Sox need to play to their strength, take pitching at #3, you can never have enough pitching. Alot can change from here till June but I really hope they have their mindset on finding an ace that can be special with Sale and Q.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
The Sox need to play to their strength, take pitching at #3, you can never have enough pitching. Alot can change from here till June but I really hope they have their mindset on finding an ace that can be special with Sale and Q.

Truth.

From today's KLaw chat

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50018

Matt (Chicago)

Beede, Hoffman, or Kolek as the second best pitcher in the draft?

Klaw

(1:07 PM)

Hoffman, with Newcomb a wild card who could sneak in there. I also have Kolek behind a couple of other prep starters right now.

Baseball America is the best place to follow it. I'm hoping this is the year my Titans break through with another championship. Tons of depth and a great recruiting class. Preseason #1 in 3 polls...hopefully they finish the year in Omaha as the World Series Champs!!!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Baseball America is the best place to follow it. I'm hoping this is the year my Titans break through with another championship. Tons of depth and a great recruiting class. Preseason #1 in 3 polls...hopefully they finish the year in Omaha as the World Series Champs!!!

Guess losing Serrano hasn't hurt you guys too much, lol. But I love having him at Tennessee. He's the man. I'm feeling really good about this season. We're really young, but really talented.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
Tyler Beede stat line yesterday against Long Beach State.

5 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. And got the win.

Solid line.

A few other top prospects went as well:

Brandon Finnegan (TCU)- 7IP, 3 hits, 0 BB, 13K

Aaron Nola (LSU)- 6IP, 4 hits, 0 BB, 6K

Finnegan has a chance to be a top 10 pick with a big season. Also, Jordan Brink (Fresno St) dominated UC-Irvine last night.

Edited by fathom