Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
We can have them and the Red Sox bid against each other for a package of Rios and Reed. Boston is looking to replace Nava in the OF.

Are you crazy or know something we don't? Rios would be a downgrade compared to Nava right now.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For teams in contention, I think you will see these players really fight through the appeals system. In the case of Braun, the Brewers are f'ed this year anyways, so he can take his suspension at this point and come back next year recharged when the Brewers will hope to contend.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Are you crazy or know something we don't? Rios would be a downgrade compared to Nava right now.

It was on mlbtr, I believe last week. Said that the Red Sox were concerned about Nava's progressive decrease in production and why they were scouting Rios.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/cafa...avy-aramis.html

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
For teams in contention, I think you will see these players really fight through the appeals system. In the case of Braun, the Brewers are f'ed this year anyways, so he can take his suspension at this point and come back next year recharged when the Brewers will hope to contend.

Cruz's problem is free agency. If he takes the hit now like Braun did, he could sign as a tainted FA but able to play in April if someone signs him. If he waits until the offseason and MLB wins 100 games, then he's a guy who a team will sign knowing he won't play until August. The former makes a helluva lot more sense to me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
Actually I'm not sure. I saw someone say on Twitter that he was, but now I'm reading that they haven't announced anything.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Don't need to be giving any leverage away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)

Cruz would make sense as well from a personal standpoint as to not affect his value going into FA, unless the Rangers have told him they will give him a qualifying offer if he isn't suspended.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Cruz's problem is free agency. If he takes the hit now like Braun did, he could sign as a tainted FA but able to play in April if someone signs him. If he waits until the offseason and MLB wins 100 games, then he's a guy who a team will sign knowing he won't play until August. The former makes a helluva lot more sense to me.

I wonder if the Rangers could head that problem off by signing him to an extension? Might be worth it for them if they want to give themselves the best shot this year.

Or, he still might be better off fighting it and then just signing a small one-year deal in the middle of next year (if he was to get suspended for the first half of the year) and then try and cash in in 2015?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
It was on mlbtr, I believe last week. Said that the Red Sox were concerned about Nava's progressive decrease in production and why they were scouting Rios.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/cafa...avy-aramis.html

I am really surprised to see that. I'd gladly welcome a one for one swap of Rios for Nava.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
I am pretty sure they are owed appeals through their CBA.

They CAN appeal, but his point is that if MLB decides to levy a much costlier initial penalty because they have a solid case, it would behoove the players to buy themselves a shorter sentence by waiving their appeal rights.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
They CAN appeal, but his point is that if MLB decides to levy a much costlier initial penalty because they have a solid case, it would behoove the players to buy themselves a shorter sentence by waiving their appeal rights.

MLB however cannot levy a more costly penalty than what is spelled out in the CBA. They can go for 100 games for these guys, I believe, because they can say they both took the products and lied to investigators, leading to the 100-game multi-offense suspension.

Braun saw that and took 65 games in order to avoid the 100.

Jim Hendry is at the Cell most likely scouting Rios for the Yankees. I don't think Rios would accept deal to NYY however even if the White Sox did want something of theirs.

Paul Sullivan ‏@PWSullivan 6m

Jim Hendry at Cell for Sox-Tigers, accd to @M_Montemurro Yanks could be looking at Rios if Soriano doesn't happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
MLB however cannot levy a more costly penalty than what is spelled out in the CBA. They can go for 100 games for these guys, I believe, because they can say they both took the products and lied to investigators, leading to the 100-game multi-offense suspension.

Braun saw that and took 65 games in order to avoid the 100.

I was under the impression that because these are not "positive drug tests" they do not fall under the 50/100/life time ban penalties, and can be whatever length the MLB finds appropriate, whether that be 5 games or 500 games.