2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
Unless someone has an in with Tanaka, any reports will come from the team. What disincentive is there for a team to say they were right in it?

Oh please, take off the tinfoil hat

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
Unless someone has an in with Tanaka, any reports will come from the team. What disincentive is there for a team to say they were right in it?

There are no disincentives, and a lot incentives, most of them to do with continuing the con of Cub fans to pay the 3rd higest ticket prices in baseball to watch glorified minor league baseball. Again.

Fwiw, the last time this happened was with the Blue Jays and Yu Darvish, where the club was fighting with the local fans who didn't believe they'd actually made a real honest attempt to sign him, even though they were trying to take credit for giving it the old college try and being right in it up until the end.

It's worth noting those 3 homers by Baez came against pitchers he's seen before.

We'll see what adjustments the league makes...just like Abreu has gone through all season long, back and forth.

Starting out like that, whether he becomes homer happy or not...or remains fairly disciplined in his approach. He's just ratcheted expectations into the stratosphere.

It's like Wood/Prior or Sandberg 1984 right now. One thing's for sure, it will be shocking if there's no sellout today at Wrigley.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
damn. the sCrub may get Cole Hamels form phi. I was hoping it was the sox that claimed him

Unless something new has happened, all they've done is put a claim in on him. That means absolutely nothing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
Unless something new has happened, all they've done is put a claim in on him. That means absolutely nothing.

Buster Olney tweeted today that the odds of them working out a deal are just as likely as Pete Rose being named the next commissioner.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Buster Olney tweeted today that the odds of them working out a deal are just as likely as Pete Rose being named the next commissioner.

Again the reality is that the Phils ask for a ridiculous amount of prospects, the Cubs pass, and Hamels gets pulled back.

The main problem is the Cubs are clearly targeting 2017 and 2018.

You're buying two years of Hamels that are basically going to be wasted...and then declining when you arguably most need him.

If the Cubs were one year ahead of where they are with THE PLAN, then it would make a lot of sense to acquire him now in order to have him for 3 out of 4 competing years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
The main problem is the Cubs are clearly targeting 2017 and 2018.

You're buying two years of Hamels that are basically going to be wasted...and then declining when you arguably most need him.

If the Cubs were one year ahead of where they are with THE PLAN, then it would make a lot of sense to acquire him now in order to have him for 3 out of 4 competing years.

I think the plan is already starting to crack, which is why they have started bringing guys up this quickly, instead of being mindful of contract situations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
I think the plan is already starting to crack, which is why they have started bringing guys up this quickly, instead of being mindful of contract situations.

I would say it's the exact opposite of that, as the window might have been pushed up due to the incredible progress of their top minor league guys. Also, I'm sure they are thrilled that Lester didn't extend with the Red Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
I would say it's the exact opposite of that, as the window might have been pushed up due to the incredible progress of their top minor league guys. Also, I'm sure they are thrilled that Lester didn't extend with the Red Sox.

Agreed.

Now that Baez hasn't fallen flat on his face in the first few games (he will struggle mightily at some point the rest of the way), the "I told you this rebuild would never work!" posts are on hold.

With the sheer number of prospects they have, not all of them will work out, but they don't have to. They can trade some, they make a signing or two. A few of them hit, and they are going to be in great shape. Unfortunately they just aren't as far away as we'd all like to think.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)

With Baez, perhaps.

But that's not going to matter as much with Soler's contract (compared to Kris Bryant's deal, which everyone acknowledges will push him back to June, 2015.)

Judging by his first three games, he's brought some badly-needed life and excitement to not only the organization itself but also the patiently-suffering fanbase.

The only problem is figuring out where to play Russell...which is a dilemma that might not be resolved until winter ball or spring training or the possible trade of Castro, although the odds of that happening are about the same as the White Sox dealing Alexei IMO.

If they can bring in Lester or Shields in the off-season, that's going to have a huge impact...and then maybe signing a flippable veteran or two for the back end to bridge them to 2017/2018.

Having Lester/Shields, Arrieta, CJ Edwards or P. Johnson and then Jackson and veteran 2nd/3rd tier guy...that's not too bad, putting them only one more pitcher away. Maybe Hammel comes back on a relatively team-friendly deal, for example.

Of course, like the White Sox, their bullpen is a mess, but it's still probably more talented than ours.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Agreed.

Now that Baez hasn't fallen flat on his face in the first few games (he will struggle mightily at some point the rest of the way), the "I told you this rebuild would never work!" posts are on hold.

With the sheer number of prospects they have, not all of them will work out, but they don't have to. They can trade some, they make a signing or two. A few of them hit, and they are going to be in great shape. Unfortunately they just aren't as far away as we'd all like to think.

I would disagree. I think they are starting to get worried about the lack of pitching and need to start bringing selected players up to show there is some progress. They are going to need the young hitters to produce because they are going to need to spend 100's of millions on pitching to be competitive.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)

I'd believe that if they didn't just trade Samardzija for a prospect who plays the same position as Castro and Baez. That tells me they aren't going for it in 2015.

Plus, don't you read Bill Simmons, it's a lock Lester re-signs with Boston next year! (That was a joke towards Simmons)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
I would disagree. I think they are starting to get worried about the lack of pitching and need to start bringing selected players up to show there is some progress. They are going to need the young hitters to produce because they are going to need to spend 100's of millions on pitching to be competitive.

Show progress for what and to who? This isn't for the fans. If it was for fans, they would have never started the rebuild.

This is to get Baez more experience and break him in with a couple months.

Again, they will have money to sign pitchers and they have so many assets that they could also trade for pitching.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
I'd believe that if they didn't just trade Samardzija for a prospect who plays the same position as Castro and Baez. That tells me they aren't going for it in 2015.

Plus, don't you read Bill Simmons, it's a lock Lester re-signs with Boston next year! (That was a joke towards Simmons)

I don't think they are going for it in 2015, which is why they moved him. All these guys aren't going to be in the lineup to start next year, but could be scattered as the year goes on. They got more assets for a piece they weren't going to compete with next year, and either weren't going to re-sign or could sign after 2015 anyway.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Show progress for what and to who? This isn't for the fans. If it was for fans, they would have never started the rebuild.

Again, they will have money to sign pitchers and they have so many assets that they could also trade for pitching.

I don't think they are going for it in 2015, which is why they moved him. All these guys aren't going to be in the lineup to start next year, but could be scattered as the year goes on. They got more assets for a piece they weren't going to compete with next year, and either weren't going to re-sign or could sign after 2015 anyway.

It is absolutely for the fans. They have generated more buzz in the last week than they have in years. If it were about the rebuild, these guys wouldn't be up until Sept 1 at the earliest, but more like the Super2 deadline in mid-June next year to maximize control, and the window they are trying to open with the young talent to all come together. Knocking a year off of guys control time shortens that window and makes the rebuild harder.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)

for themselves mostly. I think they need to start to see some progress in their plans. Until now there really hasn't been any. Of course, it is to have Baez get experience. That is the progress they need to see. Also they need to show other teams that they have some pieces to trade, if that is the way they are going to acquire pitching.

They will have money to sign pitchers, but is that really the way to go? How often do the maegcontracts to FA pitchers work? The Cubs will need not just one but multiple pitchers, if they don't trade some of the prospects.

Of course, there's also that huge risk (see Brandon Wood or nearly every Cubs/Sox hitting prospect since the late 80's) that the player's value DECREASES by being exposed at the major league level.

For example, Gordon Beckham in 2009 was worth a heckuva lot more than Gordon at the end of 2010 or 2011.

Sure, part of it's to generate more revenue/ticket sales in August, but it's not like the attendance has been terrible, all things considered...and the weather's been nice this year (it feels cold compared to China, so strange).

The Cubs are better off in the sense that Rizzo and Castro are performing well (especially Rizzo), and that's saved them a couple of steps in the rebuilding process, or, at the very least, given them the option to pick up a pitcher by trading Castro and supplanting him with Russell at SS.

You never know...if they really take off the last two months and "Merry Baez Day" takes off, WGN-Radio 720 and a lot of their sponsors might be willing to come back...especially with Alcantara and Soler contributing in 2014 and Bryant just around the corner.

That gives them either Russell or Castro, McKinney, Almora (even less need for him now if Alcantara can hold down CF), Vogelbach and Schwarber as bats to possibly trade/hoard, and then of course they have CJ Edwards as well as P. Johnson.

If Hendricks can keep this up, and the odds are he will fall back down to earth, they're not going to have to spend more than $50-130 million on FA pitching.

They've got 2-3 other AA/AAA pitchers (Beeler and Wada, can't remember the other one)...if they can just get ONE rotation piece from there, and then Edwards, they're in REALLY good shape.

Plus, there will be a LITTLE less pressure to add Shields/Scherzer/Lester if Baez and Soler explode onto the scene...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
They may also see be trying to prop up Baez's value too.

They would be pretty crazy to trade someone with that kind of pop who can play 2B/SS/3B UNLESS his defense is well below Conor Gillaspie level.

Let's say he is Dan Uggla, worst-case scenario...there's still a lot of value in a 21-22 year old cost-controlled infielder who can give you 25-35 homers.

Sure, it's possible he busts...that he's a disappointment in the same way Dayan Viciedo has been for the White Sox. The thing is, they don't have to trade him unless their financial situation is REALLY desperate and they don't have the cash flow/advertising/sponsorship revenues to spend on pitching.

That's possible...but if Baez, Soler and Alcantara all look good for these last 45+ games, they will be sitting in a good position in terms of not ABSOLUTELY having to do anything pitching-wise until before 2016.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
That's possible...but if Baez, Soler and Alcantara all look good for these last 45+ games, they will be sitting in a good position in terms of not ABSOLUTELY having to do anything pitching-wise until before 2016.

Of course, there's a downside in that too. They're likely to be a top 10 pick this year. If they want to wait to play the FA market in 2016 for pitching, and those guys aren't terrible, then there goes their first round 2016 pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Of course, there's a downside in that too. They're likely to be a top 10 pick this year. If they want to wait to play the FA market in 2016 for pitching, and those guys aren't terrible, then there goes their first round 2016 pick.

I'm sure they can live with that, all things considered. The Esptein Regime's going to be in a world of hurt if they have only one productive prospect out of the Core Four (now Fab Five with Russell).

However, they're more likely to use McKinney/Almora/Schwarber/Vogelbach and Baez/Castro to acquire pitching, if you believe all the "cash strapped" rumors out there.