Lobaton traded to Nats

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Trade Lobaton to the Royals to back up Sal Perez for a possible bullpen arm and we start Phegs. Lobaton will assure me not buying the MLB package this year. It's like we are trying to lose games rather than spend some money and make a splash and win. Chicago is a big market city. Time to win again.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Wow.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Marc Topkin says the three way trade between TB-CIN-AZ is now official. So anything with our Sox would be after the fact.

He said nothing about this being part of the 3 way trade in the first place

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Trade Lobaton to the Royals to back up Sal Perez for a possible bullpen arm and we start Phegs. Lobaton will assure me not buying the MLB package this year. It's like we are trying to lose games rather than spend some money and make a splash and win. Chicago is a big market city. Time to win again.

FYI Greg, last year Lobaton had a 1.4 bWAR in just 100 games. The almighty Pierzynski that you were dying for the Sox to re-sign had a 1.6 bWAR in 134 games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Fathom, rebuilding with guys like Loboton?? Cmon.

It's better than rebuilding with guys on their last legs like Konerko and Pierzynski. Lobaton is a decent player with 4 years of team control left. I for one would be okay with this trade depending on what we would give up which can't be much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Fathom, rebuilding with guys like Loboton?? Cmon.

What he means is that it's about not spending unnecessary money in year 1 of the rebuild. If true it's a slight upgrade without getting your team stuck with a bad contract.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:45 PM)
Lobaton is a place holder while the Sox are rebuilding.

I'd rather re-load considering we're 1/3 of the way there after getting Abreu and Garcia and have a helluva pitching staff.

Seems to me there were guys out there to re-load with.

I'll stop now. I'll just conclude by saying it's been a disappointing day as a fan for me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
What he means is that it's about not spending unnecessary money in year 1 of the rebuild. If true it's a slight upgrade without getting your team stuck with a bad contract.

And a player they should be able to acquire for cheap, given Tampa already has 2 catchers on their MLB roster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
I'd rather re-load considering we're 1/3 of the way there after getting Abreu and Garcia and have a helluva pitching staff.

I'll stop now. I'll just conclude by saying it's been a disappointing day as a fan for me.

Seriously when are you not dissappointed?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)

The White Sox starting pitching is so overrated. It's good, but so are a lot of other rotations in the AL.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
And a player they should be able to acquire for cheap, given Tampa already has 2 catchers on their MLB roster.

Exactly. Nobody is going to be thrilled with a guy like Lobaton but it does make sense in the context of what Hahn is trying to do.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
Exactly. Nobody is going to be thrilled with a guy like Lobaton but it does make sense in the context of what Hahn is trying to do.

Yep, it gives you someone that can face tough righties and not have Flowers or Phegley severely over-matched in those situations.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
The White Sox starting pitching is so overrated. It's good, but so are a lot of other rotations in the AL.

Yes. It's a nice thing to have, because there is room to grow, but they could very easily end up starting 2 guys who are essentially rookies next year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
FYI Greg, last year Lobaton had a 1.4 bWAR in just 100 games. The almighty Pierzynski that you were dying for the Sox to re-sign had a 1.6 bWAR in 134 games.

I really think it's ridiculous that people say a guy has a 2.0 bWAR so if he replaced a 0.0 bWAR the team would have won 2 more games. If the number is so accurate, the final standings would perfectly reflect every team's collective bWARs, correct?

I think they should just cancel the playoffs, forget about standings and just hand out a bWAR trophy at the end of the year.

Sabermetrics is a big part of baseball, but to think these numbers are the end all is ridiculous. People like to mention xFIP for pitchers. Did you know Gavin Floyd had a better career xFIP than Mark Buehrle? Who would you rather have on the mound?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
Yep, it gives you someone that can face tough righties and not have Flowers or Phegley severely over-matched in those situations.

Agreed with all of that....it would be nice to see some competence at the plate from our catcher. Not a huge name but a guy that can get the job done while we search for the long term answer.