2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Add another giveaway to the league leader in turnovers

Not too long ago, Cutler's apologists always came to his defense, blaming everyone but Cutler. I wonder what happened to them...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
It seems like there is no plan past the initial plan. After the initial plan is snuffed out, then keep trying the initial plan

Or immediately dump it off to Forte without even looking for a 2nd or 3rd option. I don't if it's Trestman's strategy or Cutler's inability, but you never see him go through his progressions.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
I'm right here...I blame the OL

I think a big problem with the Bears offense is that their two primary WRs are basically very good, very big possession receivers. They don't get any separation from the DBs, so every successful pass play is either a screen, a short route where they "box out" the DB, or a jump ball. They have no ability to stretch the field or get deep, so the defense is able to be much more compact than if the Bears could get deep from time to time.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 11:50 PM)
I think a big problem with the Bears offense is that their two primary WRs are basically very good, very big possession receivers. They don't get any separation from the DBs, so every successful pass play is either a screen, a short route where they "box out" the DB, or a jump ball. They have no ability to stretch the field or get deep, so the defense is able to be much more compact than if the Bears could get deep from time to time.

Plenty of teams has their top 2 receivers as big dudes or good ball skills guys and are able to make it work. Jeffery may not be a fast dude, but he can make plays down field and catch the deep passes with the best of them. I agree, we need a speedy WR3/4 to stretch the defense. But games like today shows that Cutler on most nights is terribly inaccurate with the deep ball.

On a side note, I can't remember the last time this team did something significant during 2 minute warnings or had a comeback win in the 4th quarter. The offense is mediocre at best, and most of the stats we put up are during garbage time situations.

It's weird because I remember days when I would've killed for a Bears QB who would throw for 300 yards and 2 TDs a game.

His first INT was awful but he didn't give up almost 400 yards through the air on defense. Bears Nation just needs a face to complain about. I guess it sounds like I am defending him but don't mean to.

It's weird because I remember days when I would've killed for a Bears QB who would throw for 300 yards and 2 TDs a game.

His first INT was awful but he didn't give up almost 400 yards through the air on defense. Bears Nation just needs a face to complain about. I guess it sounds like I am defending him but don't mean to.

Yes, the #1 reason this team is bad is defense. However, there are an awful lot of plays where Jay is throwing to receivers who aren't open. I get that sometimes Marshall and Jeffrey can come up with catches when they are covered, but there shouldn't be that many passes thrown to covered receivers. What I can't tell from watching on TV is if there are receivers open whom Jay just isn't seeing, or if there are really that many plays where nobody is open.

I have no one person to blame, I blame them all. And it starts at the top, Trestman and Co have been nothing short of terrible for pretty much the whole year. They have been coaching and playing afraid, they never try and set the tone.

I'm not on Jenksismyb*tch level of Cutler hate, I don't even hate the guy, I really want to like him but he has just not delivered so far. And it's not even a question of him lacking the tools to be successful, and that's what kills me about him. He's a very physically talented QB, it's the mental aspect (has a tendency to look rattled, which leads to many of his bad decisions) that holds him back. At this point of his career, he is what he is, a QB that could look elite one game and absolutely terrible the next, and he is turnover prone and he'll most likely always be.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 05:30 AM)

The Bears are 4th in the league in giveaways, and Cutty himself leads the league in turnovers. Opposing teams gets extra possessions and defense stays on the field longer. In a way, Cutler is also part of the problem.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
The Bears are 4th in the league in giveaways, and Cutty himself leads the league in turnovers. Opposing teams gets extra possessions and defense stays on the field longer. In a way, Cutler is also part of the problem.

they all feed into another. ST with bad coverage gives opposing teams better field position>opposing teams score easier>more pressure put on offense to perform(which they dont)>leads back to special teams or a turnover>back to defense.

There are teams that have a "machine" that works well, and leads to positive results. The Bears have created a machine that works well, and leads to negative results

I read from Brad Biggs that the Bears are 5th in the league in money spent on offense, 26th in money spent on defense. Sure, the defense could be better, but the offense is supposed to carry the team, and they aren't doing the job. These aren't 35-31 shootouts the Bears are losing.

The offense went 6 straight games without scoring in the first quarter. Even those NE and Green Bay blowouts could have been a tad bit closer if the offense was able to go on an early long drive to change the flow of the game and give the defense a rest.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
they all feed into another. ST with bad coverage gives opposing teams better field position>opposing teams score easier>more pressure put on offense to perform(which they dont)>leads back to special teams or a turnover>back to defense.

There are teams that have a "machine" that works well, and leads to positive results. The Bears have created a machine that works well, and leads to negative results

ST kick coverage is getting really good. I was listening to the 3rd Q in the car on my way to my sister's house yesterday, and Joniak said they are now something like 2nd in the league covering kicks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
ST kick coverage is getting really good. I was listening to the 3rd Q in the car on my way to my sister's house yesterday, and Joniak said they are now something like 2nd in the league covering kicks.

What, in the past 3 games? There was far too many mistakes before anything got fixed

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
What, in the past 3 games? There was far too many mistakes before anything got fixed

The kickoff coverage has been good all season. Of course most of it is Gould. The rest of the special teams has been pretty horrid. The FG yesterday snapped the longest streak without a FG for the Bears in 54 years.

Edited by Dick Allen