Sox vs Twins April 2 game thread

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
That's a great setup if you think the White Sox are out to win the division title this year. It's a perfect setup for 2014 to push for a division pennant. As far as I can tell though the White Sox haven't done that anywhere else. Felipe Paulino is on the mound, for example, today; he's the kind of guy you don't exactly count on to build a title contender.

Platooning guys like that is a terrible move if you look at the long term plan as anything other than "win in 2014".

In 2015, both of those guys prices go up and suddenly we're talking about 2 guys paid $10 million+ for that production, one of whom is a free agent after the year, and the other of whom you still don't know if he's even worth a bag of balls because you platooned him the previous year.

I didn't think he should have been released, but if the choices were between platooning him and not offering him arbitration, you're pushing me close.

The Sox were in "win now" mode in 2008, but you couldn't have figured that from the opening day 25 man roster. As Dick alluded to, Alexei played CF his first few games and Jerry Owens was expected to play a major role on that team. The rotation consisted of Buehrle, Contreras, Vazquez, Floyd, and Danks. Floyd was terrible the year before, putting up a 5.27 ERA in 16 games, 10 starts, while Danks put up a 5.50 ERA in 28 starts in 2007. Several other members of the teams were coming off very disappointing 2007 campaigns overall, and there is no way anybody could have expected that team to compete. They won a division title.

Having depth and playing the best matchups is the best way to go about the season, especially early. If they fall out of contention, you'll likely see the Sox actively shopping De Aza with Viciedo playing quite a bit more. Viciedo will still end up with a lot of plate appearances by the end of the year either way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
I'd love to know what was offered. My guess is that it was garbage, which is why both guys are back.

Bucket indicated that Jack Z offered Dustin Ackley for Viciedo, and Hahn countered with Nick Franklin. Maybe this is the year Ackley finally puts it together, but put me in the crowd that has no problem with Hahn turning down a a package that solely includes a glorified utility player.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
There always seems to be the one guy doesn't there?

There's more than one guy against the Sox.

Jason Kubel and Ryan Raburn to name at least two. A few on the Royals, too.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Paulino seemed to struggle focusing on Suzuki in that AB with Arcia at 1B.

I kind of think this is his history. He can lose his control at times. It ought to be interesting to see if his mechanics improve

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Bucket indicated that Jack Z offered Dustin Ackley for Viciedo, and Hahn countered with Nick Franklin. Maybe this is the year Ackley finally puts it together, but put me in the crowd that has no problem with Hahn turning down a a package that solely includes a glorified utility player.

If Viciedo is just going to be a platoon player this year, then the Sox won't even be able to get a glorified platoon player for him next year when his salary jumps again.