Sox Core Strength/Quality

2 legitimate league-wide superstars in Sale and Abreu, first time since....?

Jose Quintana, what a stud, great Robin to your Batman

Viciedo maybe as the DH? Connor? Flowers looks like he'll be at least solid.

What about Avisail when he comes back, what a player he could be.

And then we might be adding someone else in a few days here in the draft. Sleepers in the minors are Beck, Danish, and Montas who could be part of this a couple years from now.

I think we have an excellent core. Add a couple more pieces and let's tear this s*** up.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
2 legitimate league-wide superstars in Sale and Abreu, first time since....?

Jose Quintana, what a stud, great Robin to your Batman

Viciedo maybe as the DH? Connor? Flowers looks like he'll be at least solid.

What about Avisail when he comes back, what a player he could be.

And then we might be adding someone else in a few days here in the draft. Sleepers in the minors are Beck, Danish, and Montas who could be part of this a couple years from now.

I think we have an excellent core. Add a couple more pieces and let's tear this s*** up.

This is my core:

Rotation:

Sale

Quintana

Johnson (if he figures it out)

Bullpen:

Webb

Petricka

Putnam

Belisario (8th inning role)

Position Players:

Abreu

Eaton

Avisail Garcia

Viciedo

Gillaspie (fringe)

Alexei

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
What do we do with Davidson? He's been left out in all of these replies.

Let him rebound. Nobody wants him now unless you're selling way low. If he makes himself look like an MLB player then you make your decision later. You don't HAVE to deal him, but if he looks good and Connor's your 3B, then maybe you use him to fill a need elsewhere.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
I believe in Connor, no question. He's a Major League player & a potentially very valuable complementary piece. These types will matter a lot more once you have your stars already penciled in.

Biggest needs: #2 RHSP and big LH power bat in the middle somewhere, as a young guy though.

Those two along with catcher are our biggest needs. Flowers has been better this year, but I still think he's a backup catcher on a championship caliber team. Unfortunately, I think catcher is a spot that will have to be addressed via trade.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
The guy he's traded for might be.

LH power bat & RHSP. Make Alexei available to a contender that needs a SS badly and that's what you're targeting.

Now may be a good time to buy low on Dominic Brown. He's young lefthanded and has some power. Besides, he couldn't be any worse than running DeAza out there everyday. I'm not saying Alexei in a deal for him but you may be able to get him cheap. He's still young enough to turn it around and a change of scenery could help.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:49 AM)
Now may be a good time to buy low on Dominic Brown. He's young lefthanded and has some power. Besides, he couldn't be any worse than running DeAza out there everyday. I'm not saying Alexei in a deal for him but you may be able to get him cheap. He's still young enough to turn it around and a change of scenery could help.

Since they already have Rollins, they're not going to displace him for another veteran in Ramirez.

So what young player do we have with any real upside that a team in transition/going into rebuilding would actually want that we don't?

They might accept Viciedo for Brown, who's well under 600 OPS-wise at the moment.

The irony is I'm pretty sure both guys are represented by Boras, which means you're essentially renting him, but we would have Brown under contract from 2015-2017, which is our hoped-for contention window (along with 2018).

It would be an interesting trade for both teams. Brown gives the White Sox left-handed pop and he's a better fielder than Viciedo, but he has looked terrible this season. Viciedo has been very good until recently, but his future is also a bit uncertain in Chicago.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 04:49 AM)

Since they already have Rollins, they're not going to displace him for another veteran in Ramirez.

So what young player do we have with any real upside that a team in transition/going into rebuilding would actually want that we don't?

They might accept Viciedo for Brown, who's well under 600 OPS-wise at the moment.

The irony is I'm pretty sure both guys are represented by Boras, which means you're essentially renting him, but we would have Brown under contract from 2015-2017, which is our hoped-for contention window (along with 2018).

It would be an interesting trade for both teams. Brown gives the White Sox left-handed pop and he's a better fielder than Viciedo, but he has looked terrible this season. Viciedo has been very good until recently, but his future is also a bit cloudy in Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm gonna play dumb here, but why would you trade a relatively cheap, elite MLB-top-5 (arguably top-2) SS??? Even though KennyVP and RickyGM are rebuilding, he's young enough and still improving to the point where he'll be around when the team contends...

Why trade him? There is no one in the pipeline that can play at half his production. The SS in the minors are noodle-bat, defense-first guys. Gordon Beckham has settled nicely into the defense-first category, and we Soxtalkers can't wait to ride his ass out of town.

Let's say the Sox do trade Ramirez. A week after the trade, this board will blow up with how dumb a move it was and how terrible [insert whatever AAAA "prospect" the Sox call up here] has been.

Trading him is stupid. Stupid.

If there's a list of untouchable Sox players, he's #2.

CHRIS SALE

Alexei Ramirez

Jose Abreu

Jose Quintana

Everyone else on the team can go f*** off.

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
Gordon Beckham has settled nicely into the defense-first category, and we Soxtalkers can't wait to ride his ass out of town.

That's in no small part because he's not by any means an excellent 2b, he's been about average for most of his career and was even a tick below average last yera.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
Eaton and Davidson's struggles are concerning. You could make a case that Hahn didn't get enough in return for the trade chips he had. Like it or not though, this is the core and if it isn't Sale goes on the market.

It will be interesting to see in two years who's better, Eaton or Micah Johnson.

I'm gonna play dumb here, but why would you trade a relatively cheap, elite MLB-top-5 (arguably top-2) SS??? Even though KennyVP and RickyGM are rebuilding, he's young enough and still improving to the point where he'll be around when the team contends...

Why trade him? There is no one in the pipeline that can play at half his production. The SS in the minors are noodle-bat, defense-first guys. Gordon Beckham has settled nicely into the defense-first category, and we Soxtalkers can't wait to ride his ass out of town.

Let's say the Sox do trade Ramirez. A week after the trade, this board will blow up with how dumb a move it was and how terrible [insert whatever AAAA "prospect" the Sox call up here] has been.

Trading him is stupid. Stupid.

If there's a list of untouchable Sox players, he's #2.

CHRIS SALE

Alexei Ramirez

Jose Abreu

Jose Quintana

Everyone else on the team can go f*** off.

I would put Abreu above Alexei, but I agree with your premise. The MLB average OPS for SS is .685. Alexei is sitting on .830 right now. If anything, I'm offering Alexei an extension through 2018 with 2019 option to line him up with Sale, Abreu and Quintana.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
He didn't get enough for Peavey, Rios and Reed, that's for sure. The best trade he made was Soptic for Gillaspie.

The Peavy trade was good, can't blame Garcia's injury on Hahn. Got two excellent pitching prospects with Avisail. Peavy has been hit pretty hard this year. Rest of post is valid.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
He didn't get enough for Peavey, Rios and Reed, that's for sure. The best trade he made was Soptic for Gillaspie.

This is ridiculous. If he didn't get enough, what would you have gotten for them instead?

He got plenty in all 3 of those deals. He's done a phenomenal job.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
Like it or not though, this is the core and if it isn't Sale goes on the market.

Lol, no he doesn't. Sale is 25 and under contract for like 6 years. They will be encouraged by the marked improvement in the team's performance year over year, and they will continue to add talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
This is ridiculous. If he didn't get enough, what would you have gotten for them instead?

He got plenty in all 3 of those deals. He's done a phenomenal job.

Jury is still out, but Leury Garcia and a modern-day Podsednik in Eaton (if that's what he is) ain't phenomenal.

I have absolutely no problem with the return on Rios. He was 32 with another $15 mill or so guaranteed to him, he's always been an incredibly inconsistent player who has not always been seen as a great influence in or out of the clubhouse who the Sox no longer had room for on the roster.

Garcia is is not much, I will agree on that, and getting the so called lottery pick included in the deal would have also been nice, but may not have been possible. Really, what more do you expect for a player like that?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
Eaton was acquired in the Santiago deal. Unfortunately, I agree with on Garcia. Rios is a much better player than what the league was willing to give up to get him.

If the Sox had kicked in more money . . .

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
I have absolutely no problem with the return on Rios. He was 32 with another $15 mill or so guaranteed to him, he's always been an incredibly inconsistent player who has not always been seen as a great influence in or out of the clubhouse who the Sox no longer had room for on the roster.

Garcia is is not much, I will agree on that, and getting the so called lottery pick included in the deal would have also been nice, but may not have been possible. Really, what more do you expect for a player like that?

I expect the GM to make better use of his trading chips, Jury is still out, but the return Hahn received so far is underwhelming.