2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
This question has come up, here you go.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 1h

No. Separate college scholarship plan. @JerryMitcham: is cost of tuition taken from team's pool when included in signing bonus? @MLBDraft

Honestly, for a lot of the high school kids that get drafted, you almost have to think that a $200-300k guaranteed contract plus the guarantee of funding for a college education makes it worth it to sign.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
Honestly, for a lot of the high school kids that get drafted, you almost have to think that a $200-300k

guaranteed contract plus the guarantee of funding for a college education makes it worth it to sign.

and that is the big question, can we, or is there a section that guarantee for college funding?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Honestly, for a lot of the high school kids that get drafted, you almost have to think that a $200-300k guaranteed contract plus the guarantee of funding for a college education makes it worth it to sign.

Most baseball players are not on a full ride scholarship. Schools get 11.7 scholarships for 30 players. The promise of a free ride is a huge bonus that vast majority of the players aren't getting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)

I think some kids overvalue the experience of college ball. I played division I college athletics and it was the high point of my "career," but I wasn't given the option of signing a pro contract. If a kid thinks he can have both, they gamble on their health for having it all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Most baseball players are not on a full ride scholarship. Schools get 11.7 scholarships for 30 players. The promise of a free ride is a huge bonus that vast majority of the players aren't getting.

I would assume any high schooler that is being offered overslot to lure him out of a commitment would be on a full ride or close to it, but I admit I don't know how baseball breaks them up.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
I think some kids overvalue the experience of college ball. I played division I college athletics and it was the

high point of my "career," but I wasn't given the option of signing a pro contract. If a kid thinks he can have

both, they gamble on their health for having it all.

I too play while in college but I somehow got screw, no help or free ride...

somehow the powers to be never thought checkers was competitive enuf. ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 1h

7th-rder Jake Peter agrees w/@WhiteSox on $203,800 (full value at 198). Creighton, 2B/SS for now, also to 96 mph on mound. @MLBDraft

Is he gonna pitch or hit professionally?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
Is he gonna pitch or hit professionally?

I would bet on pitching, since it's the White Sox and we've had some previous examples like Brian Anderson, Jason Dellaero, Sergio Santos, Brooks Kieschnick, etc. Those were position players who switched, but this kid has mostly been known for his work as an infielder, and "dabbled" with pitching, right?

One of the things the Tigers' broadcasting crew said that Don Cooper keyed on with Noesi was his "fast arm action" and that he felt they could work with him, despite that disastrous appearance for the Rangers against the Sox (7 runs).

So I'm just guessing...but there must be something about his arm action/mechanics/repeatability they really liked when they scouted him. We have more than enough infielders at the moment, anyway.

Picked up by the Chicago White Sox a month later and signed to a minor league deal, Kieschnick then radically changed his career approach. Up to this point, Kieschnick had pitched in exactly two minor league games in his career—both token relief appearances in blowout games, one in 1999 and one in 2001. Nevertheless, in the 2002 season Kieschnick switched his primary focus to pitching, hoping to better his chances of making a major league roster as a pitcher who was also a versatile utility player. He ended up spending the entire 2002 season in the minor leagues with the triple-A Charlotte Knights, appearing in 25 games as a relief pitcher, 1 as an outfielder and over 40 as either a pinch-hitter or DH.[2][15] He finished the season batting .275 with 13 home huns in just 189 at bats; as a pitcher, he was 0-1 with a 2.59 ERA in just over 31 innings pitched.

He was then signed by the Milwaukee Brewers before the 2003 season...and played the most versatile super utility role of all for 2 seasons, both pitching and hitting.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Has there ever been a pitcher in the MLB or the minors who has ever been a full time starting pitcher AND a position player on his days off? I know Mike Hampton and Micah Owings and Carlos Zambrano had pinch-hit before, but did anyone play full time as both a pitcher and a hitter?

Dontrelle Willis is another name that comes to mind in this category.

Brooks Kieschnick did it with the Brewers in 2003 and 2004, but he was a reliever and a bench player with spot starts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
I would bet on pitching, since it's the White Sox and we've had some previous examples like Brian Anderson, Jason Dellaero, Sergio Santos, Brooks Kieschnick, etc. Those were position players who switched, but this kid has mostly been known for his work as an infielder, and "dabbled" with pitching, right?

One of the things the Tigers' broadcasting crew said that Don Cooper keyed on with Noesi was his "fast arm action" and that he felt they could work with him, despite that disastrous appearance for the Rangers against the Sox (7 runs).

So I'm just guessing...but there must be something about his arm action/mechanics/repeatability they really liked when they scouted him. We have more than enough infielders at the moment, anyway.

Picked up by the Chicago White Sox a month later and signed to a minor league deal, Kieschnick then radically changed his career approach. Up to this point, Kieschnick had pitched in exactly two minor league games in his career—both token relief appearances in blowout games, one in 1999 and one in 2001. Nevertheless, in the 2002 season Kieschnick switched his primary focus to pitching, hoping to better his chances of making a major league roster as a pitcher who was also a versatile utility player. He ended up spending the entire 2002 season in the minor leagues with the triple-A Charlotte Knights, appearing in 25 games as a relief pitcher, 1 as an outfielder and over 40 as either a pinch-hitter or DH.[2][15] He finished the season batting .275 with 13 home huns in just 189 at bats; as a pitcher, he was 0-1 with a 2.59 ERA in just over 31 innings pitched.

He was then signed by the Milwaukee Brewers before the 2003 season...and played the most versatile super utility role of all for 2 seasons, both pitching and hitting.

I believe RH said he was a draft for his defensive abilities.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Has there ever been a pitcher in the MLB or the minors who has ever been a full time starting pitcher AND a position player on his days off? I know Mike Hampton and Micah Owings and Carlos Zambrano had pinch-hit before, but did anyone play full time as both a pitcher and a hitter?

His name was George Herman Ruth.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
Scholarship plan should be available to all draftees.

I think most teams would only extend it in cases where it really makes a critical difference between signing and not signing a contract, like the Univ. of Missouri commit (pitcher) with the previous TJ surgery from the 13th or 14th round.

I doubt they would really care about MOST of the high school draft picks past round 10...I don't mean care at all, but just from a profit/loss standpoint, that's a lot of additional payments that are going to have to come from somewhere in the organization's budget.

BA confirm Spencer Adams' signing at 1,282,000

Also Brett Austin (450,000) - slightly below slot (485,400)

Zach Thompson (363,400) - at slot

Louie Lechich (40,000) - nice saving there, slot is 272,100

Jake Peter (203,800) - at slot

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 06:46 AM)
BA confirm Spencer Adams' signing at 1,282,000

Also Brett Austin (450,000) - slightly below slot (485,400)

Zach Thompson (363,400) - at slot

Louie Lechich (40,000) - nice saving there, slot is 272,100

Jake Peter (203,800) - at slot

So there's an extra $267,540 to be used for either Rodon or the 13/14th round pitcher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
So there's an extra $267,540 to be used for either Rodon or the 13/14th round pitcher.

It is safe to assume we will get big savings from Ziznewski as well. I would guess Clark is at slot or right around it. No idea with Jarvis but with how quickly he signed I would assume he was also at slot or just above it since the Sox wouldn't have gone much above slot for a 10th rounder that quickly.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
It is safe to assume we will get big savings from Ziznewski as well. I would guess Clark is at slot or right around it. No idea with Jarvis but with how quickly he signed I would assume he was also at slot or just above it since the Sox wouldn't have gone much above slot for a 10th rounder that quickly.

We should be able to save on Fry as well.

I'm expecting overslot on Rodon, just hoping we have enough left over to entice MDO

Edited by Quinarvy

Updated

1 (3): Carlos Rodon, LHP, /$5,721,500

2 (44): Spencer Adams, $1,282,700/$1,282,700

3 (77): Jace Fry, /$726,000

4 (108): Brett Austin, $450,000/$485,400

5 (138): Zach Thompson, $363,400/$363,400

6 (168): Louie Lechich, $40,000/$272,100

7 (198): Jake Peter, $203,800/$203,800

8 (228): John Ziznewski, /$162,100*

9 (258): Brian Clark, /$151,400

10 (288): Jake Jarvis, $141,300?/$141,300 - Assuming that this is full slot since this is a HS player

14 (408): Bryce Montes de Oca, /$100,000

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)

Depending on the Jarvis number, and then adding in savings from Ziz, we should be sitting at about $400k extra, like I projected yesterday.