Carlos Gonzalez

GGajewski18

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Toronto fans give themselves about a 0% chance of signing Sandoval. They believe AA cannot sign any big ticket FA or no big ticket FA has interest in Toronto. They want Russell Martin bad.

I stick by my earlier comment of it coming down to us or the Red Sox. Giants will be in it towards the end of the race but an AL team will win due to being able to give him an extra year over what the Giants are offering.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
Cuddyer rejected his QO, and signed w/ the Mets. Makes it less likely that CarGo, Stubbs, or Blackmon will be traded. They still have Dickerson on the team, so while they don't have 5 OF now, they still do have 4 of them.

is Cuddyer going to play lf?

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
So is there any chance we could still trade for this guy?

I'd literally lose myself.

I don't think so, but I am hoping Rick has something in store for LF. He has said he isn't done, and that is now the most glaring weakness (I am fine w/ Flowers behind the dish).

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)

It sounds like they no longer have that much room to add salary, but I guess anything could be possible - they could maybe do it if the Rockies took on both Danks and Viciedo to make the numbers close this season and sent along some money to cut the impact the next couple, but why would the Rockies want to do that?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Unless Danks is part of the deal.

Which, let's be honest, would be absolutely bonkers for the Rockies.

Also, Danks going back wouldn't be any different than them giving us cash along with CarGo -- either way they'll pay maybe half his salary, it just comes down to whether or not we take a hit to our back-end pitching depth.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)

Money's tight, but it's not impossible. CarGo's annual salaries for the next three years are $16 mil (2015), $17 mil (2016) and $20 mil (2017). The way the market's going, that's not that bad. If the Rockies kick in some cash, it's really not much more than a guy like Melky is going to get. Heck, depending on what the Rockies kick in, it could be less. It would certainly be less money and shorter term than Matt Kemp. One thing's for sure, Rick and KW didn't spend all this money improving the pitching staff to just punt on offense. An upgrade to LF or 3B is surely coming.

• 7 months later...

I thought I would revive this thread. I keep hearing that Rockies really want to trade Cargo for pitching. Cargo has been hot lately, getting his average up to the .250 range after a real slow start, which was caused by minor knee surgery last year. He has looked very good the last 2-3 weeks.

Rumors are from non-media sources.

Just sayin'.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
I thought I would revive this thread. I keep hearing that Rockies really want to trade Cargo for pitching. Cargo has been hot lately, getting his average up to the .250 range after a real slow start, which was caused by minor knee surgery last year. He has looked very good the last 2-3 weeks.

Rumors are from non-media sources.

Just sayin'.

I'd rather have Melky

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
If we could send them John Danks, I'd think about it.

I'd think about a pitching prospect and Melky. To your point I'd move danks but I doubt they'd do that. Without us giving them a contract though I can't see a match. His contract doesn't match his production (especially when adjusting for health).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I'd think about a pitching prospect and Melky. To your point I'd move danks but I doubt they'd do that. Without us giving them some cash though I can't see a match. His contract doesn't match his production (especially when adjusting for health).

The only way i look at Gonzalez is with some salary relief. Trading Danks would achieve part of that. The basically match for 2016. 2017 would be something else as CarGo is $20 million, while Danks deal is over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
The only way i look at Gonzalez is with some salary relief. Trading Danks would achieve part of that. The basically match for 2016. 2017 would be something else as CarGo is $20 million, while Danks deal is over.

That's probably why he added "melky".

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Colorado would probably be more agreeable to a Danks/CarGo swap than we think. They'd love to save $20 million.

I can't figure out whether they would actually move him just for salary relief. It seems like something they'd probably have done several times over the last few years if they were willing and it seems like there would have been several teams that would give them that salary relief on a gamble. It just seems like they're not motivated to do so.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Colorado would probably be more agreeable to a Danks/CarGo swap than we think. They'd love to save $20 million.

I don't know if the Rockies do that due to perception. If I'm Sox, I'd consider it, but you might just add another guy who is paid more then he's worth (injured / unproductive). I presume Rockies would rather send some cash along and get an actual pitching prospect, etc, or would just prefer to keep him and see if he can have a big 2nd half and thus be more moveable in the off-season. I kind of think I'm staying away from CarGo unless we get some major package in our favor. While upside is their, major downside seems to exist as well and I'd rather stay away from that.

Ha, this thread brings me back to last winter when I was really hoping the Sox could acquire him. He hasn't really been all that great for the Rockies so far, so the bloom's worn off that idea (maybe the Sox dodged a potential bullet). I don't think I'd give up much of value for him, but if the Rockies were interested in a salary dump, I'd listen. I don't see how a swap for Danks helps the Rockies.

Edited by Buehrlesque