Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Given that you could have 4 front of the rotation guys for a fraction of the front of the rotation cost, I absolutely don't think you move away from that and instead use the financial resources you have on other areas of the ballclub.

But you could and it would reasonable to do so. It's an option.

that's all I was saying.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
If they wanted to sign him before opening day, 7/140 seems about right. If he was looking at 6 year deal after 2015, then 10 this year, and about 21-22 the other 6. Something like that?

7 years. No, thanks.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
7 years. No, thanks.

Yeah it would be a huge gamble, but to prevent him from reaching free agency, they may have to give him the years to lower the AAV.

At the very least, 5 with an option that kicks in with innings or something else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
I know we've all heard the White Sox spin on their chances, but the Cubs organization thinks he'll become a free agent

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/jeff-samard...bs-vs-white-sox

Not knowing who Pat Mooney was, I thought the article was awfully Cubs-tinted. And then it was like "oooooh I get it now, suck a D Mooney"

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
If they wanted to sign him before opening day, 7/140 seems about right. If he was looking at 6 year deal after 2015, then 10 this year, and about 21-22 the other 6. Something like that?

7 years? Yeesh, not going anywhere near that. I wouldn't want to go any more than 5 years.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 02:09 AM)
7 years? Yeesh, not going anywhere near that. I wouldn't want to go any more than 5 years.

Then see ya, Samardzija. If you want to lure upper tier pitchers these days, you have to go outside your comfort level and give them more than you'd ideally "want' to do. Otherwise you won't get any of them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I don't understand the need for snark here, it's an entirely valid point. If he is 100% set on hitting free agency, then it's going to take a monster contract to retain him.

Seems like such a stupid & backwards idea to try to sign him now. Let everybody evaluate everybody. Mercy.

If Jeff were interested in re-signing, I think that at the earliest it would be around midseason, and there need to be a couple things satisfied for him to sign. He needs to absolutely love the organization. Not just as a fan, but the front office, everyone. He needs to be sold on JRs loyalty, and becoming a beloved White Sox figure. Also, the money is going to need to be competitive. If he's not going to hit the open market, then his contract needs to be competitive with the contract given to Lester, and the contracts that will be given to Shields and Scherzer. It will be real interesting to see what those guys sign for.

I also think the Sox will need to be right in the thick of it for either party to be interested in a contract extension. If the Sox, for some reason, tank next season, they will probably deal Jeff at the trade deadline. I don't foresee that happening and I believe the Sox will in the very least be in the hunt by the trade deadline.

I think the Sox will respect the fact that he wants to get to know the organization before considering an extension. That's a perfectly reasonable request. You want to know that you're not going to sign up for a situation like the Bears... I think Jeff knows the Sox are a good organization but just wants proof positive to be certain.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I don't understand the need for snark here, it's an entirely valid point. If he is 100% set on hitting free agency, then it's going to take a monster contract to retain him.

You have to let him go, if it's for 7 years. That is entirely too long. I guess one reason would be is to hpe he has season ending injuries in the latter part of the contract and insurance will cover part of it. However that's really depressing hoping someone gets severe injuries.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
You have to let him go, if it's for 7 years. That is entirely too long. I guess one reason would be is to hpe he has season ending injuries in the latter part of the contract and insurance will cover part of it. However that's really depressing hoping someone gets severe injuries.

I don't disagree whatsoever, just that it's possible. I think it will be closer to 6 which I think you can stomach so long as you believe he will be a capable pitcher all 6 years, including a mid to back of the rotation starter at the end. Samardzija has stuff that would seemingly age better given the downward movement of it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I don't disagree whatsoever, just that it's possible. I think it will be closer to 6 which I think you can stomach so long as you believe he will be a capable pitcher all 6 years, including a mid to back of the rotation starter at the end. Samardzija has stuff that would seemingly age better given the downward movement of it.

6 is even pushing it for my taste. I think it will depend what I see from Rodon this year. If it looks like he will be capable of being a top of the rotation starter in 2016, I may let JS walk. If Rodon still needs more time then 6 years might be ok.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
I think the Sox think that he is improving as a pitcher so signing him now, when he has a lesser track record, would be advantageous to the team's negotiating leverage. If he goes out and throws 200IP, with 200+ Ks, and an ERA around 3 again he's going to cost even more than his hypothetical market value now.

I do think it's all moot, because Samardzija is set on hitting FA. It's interesting how outwardly optimistic the FO seems to be. If the marriage between the Sox and Samardzija were to continue, I would think the extension would come in Novemeber of next year.

Yea I get that, but I just don't understand the rush on here. It's kinda creepy because he hasn't even pitched an inning here. Just leaves this uneasy feeling in my stomach listening to this extension talk before any of us know what we have. Makes me kind of want to puke out of embarrassment for our organization if they are actually trying to extend him now. Hopefully that talk is just to appease the Chicago media idiots who think this situation is somehow related to the cubs trying to extend him. No similarities whatsoever. Let's not be the creepy and desperate organization. Let's be pro and make him prove himself first. Mercy of the heavens!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Yea I get that, but I just don't understand the rush on here. It's kinda creepy because he hasn't even pitched an inning here. Just leaves this uneasy feeling in my stomach listening to this extension talk before any of us know what we have. Makes me kind of want to puke out of embarrassment for our organization if they are actually trying to extend him now. Hopefully that talk is just to appease the Chicago media idiots who think this situation is somehow related to the cubs trying to extend him. No similarities whatsoever. Let's not be the creepy and desperate organization. Let's be pro and make him prove himself first. Mercy of the heavens!

I've got to be honest, I 100% disagree with you here. Every day Shark goes unextended is a day closer to free agency for him and ultimately some ridiculous offer from another team that we'll be unable or unwilling to match.

You waiting for him to "prove it" for whatever reason just makes it more unlikely we'll keep him long-term.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
I've got to be honest, I 100% disagree with you here. Every day Shark goes unextended is a day closer to free agency for him and ultimately some ridiculous offer from another team that we'll be unable or unwilling to match.

You waiting for him to "prove it" for whatever reason just makes it more unlikely we'll keep him long-term.

Totally understand that point of view as it's the common valid one. But it sure leaves out all the intangibles and bits and pieces of negotiation that actually matter. I mean, that point of view is the same one used to sell & butcher cattle.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Keith Law chat today...sorry to dredge up this thread but Oakland's recent moves have put Semien out and then back into the starting SS gig.

"Kyle (Missouri)

Could you breakdown the Escobar for Clippard trade?

Klaw (1:06 PM)

Meh. The problem I see is that Oakland is convinced Marcus Semien can be an everyday shortstop, and I don't think he can.

Anthony (Cal)

Do you think Seimen could play 2B and Zobrist at SS?

Klaw (1:11 PM)

Not really. I don't think Semien's bat plays every day. Decent utility guy but that's probably it."

Ouch. Count Keith Law as not a fan of Semien...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)

i hate to cherry pick and make a comment on this discussion.

the only problem i have on both side of this discussion is, what if he wanted to go

the FA rt. all this discussion of contract extension and all is window dressing.