Evan Longoria

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
The difference is that he signed on June 13 versus Rodon who signed on July 11. Trea Turner can't officially be traded until one year from his signing date, but one year from his signing falls into the 6 month window that they have after this trade is complete to name the PTBNL. After January 11, Rodon could be traded as a PTBNL also.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Longoria is under team control at a virtually bargain basement prices for the next 9 seasons. He'd fetch an absolute king's ransom. If I dealt him to the Cubs, for instance, I'd ask for probably 2 of Bryant, Russell, and Soler and 2 others. If I were getting Bryant, I may be able to work out where I got 3 others, but they'd all be very good prospects. His age is beginning to work against him but it's not crazy to think he'd fetch a ton at this point given his contract.

For the next NINE seasons, which means it's not bargain basement price. He's owed about $120 million; if you can expect him to be productive for 5 years, then you're paying almost $25 million per. Knock it down to $20 mill per and then $5 mill for less productive years and there you have it.

I've heard his contract compared to Sale's. That's ridiculous as Sale's pays him a below market amount and only for what project to be his reasonably peak years.

Josh Donaldson has been more productive than Longoria over the past 3 seasons; just without the hype or the contract.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
For the next NINE seasons, which means it's not bargain basement price. He's owed about $120 million; if you can expect him to be productive for 5 years, then you're paying almost $25 million per. Knock it down to $20 mill per and then $5 mill for less productive years and there you have it.

Bargain basement price? Hardly.

He'd get a good, not great, return.

For a guy of Longoria's talent, that is a bargain.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)

Bargain basement price? Hardly.

He'd get a good, not great, return.

I'm pretty sure if the Sox were run by you, the team's payroll would be $12.5 million...nothing but first year rookies who make the bare minimum. If you don't recognize that the Longoria deal is still one of the best value contracts in baseball, then I don't think you want any additional money on a payroll than the minimum.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
I'm pretty sure if the Sox were run by you, the team's payroll would be $12.5 million...nothing but first year rookies who make the bare minimum. If you don't recognize that the Longoria deal is still one of the best value contracts in baseball, then I don't think you want any additional money on a payroll than the minimum.

I'm just not living in la la land re the realities of finance. You can't load the team up with contracts that are based on what the player did in the past and have a quality team with a payroll of $120 million. You have to find bargains and that means either young players or some Dyes and AJs who were signed cheap off of bad years.

I'd much rather have traded for Donaldson and sign him to a 4 year extension than to load up on Longoria and pay him until he' 37, even though the hype seems to have people convinced Longoria is a Hall of Fame player.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
I'm just not living in la la land re the realities of finance. You can't load the team up with contracts that are based on what the player did in the past and have a quality team with a payroll of $120 million. You have to find bargains and that means either young players or some Dyes and AJs who were signed cheap off of bad years.

I'd much rather have traded for Donaldson and sign him to a 4 year extension than to load up on Longoria and pay him until he' 37, even though the hype seems to have people convinced Longoria is a Hall of Fame player.

Even in a down year, Longoria was still a very valuable player and he is signed to a very cheap deal. I think you are paying $20+ mill per year for Donaldson when he's the same age as Longoria and arguably is riskier in the short-term. That doesn't seem wise to me either.

It's a moot point all together, as neither of these guys are getting dealt (again, in Donaldson's case).

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't see how the Cubs don't go get Longoria.

Rays might be bitter about Maddon?

I know it won't happen, but god I wish the Sox could offer up Gillaspie, Anderson, Danish, Montas and Hawkins and see if the Rays bite.

Then at the same time I wonder if that'd be an overpay after the insane buyers market that has been going on lately, including with Price.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
Rays might be bitter about Maddon?

I know it won't happen, but god I wish the Sox could offer up Gillaspie, Anderson, Danish, Montas and Hawkins and see if the Rays bite.

Then at the same time I wonder if that'd be an overpay after the insane buyers market that has been going on lately, including with Price.

As a Sox fan, I'd do that without thinking twice if we had the payroll for it. Not so sure the Rays would though.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't see how the Cubs don't go get Longoria.

Not only do the Cubs have Bryant coming up, but one of Castro, Baez, or Russell may end up manning their hot corner (my money is on Castro with Russell at short and Baez at 2B).

If the Sox trade for Longoria, then they might as well throw in Michalczewski into the trade mix because Longoria is your 3B for until at least 2022. Michalczewski, Gillaspie, and a couple of arms might get their attention.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
As a Sox fan, I'd do that without thinking twice if we had the payroll for it. Not so sure the Rays would though.

I'd also do it without thinking twice, but the third time around I'd just wonder to myself.

Then I'd get over it because the team would be scary.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Even in a down year, Longoria was still a very valuable player and he is signed to a very cheap deal. I think you are paying $20+ mill per year for Donaldson when he's the same age as Longoria and arguably is riskier in the short-term. That doesn't seem wise to me either.

It's a moot point all together, as neither of these guys are getting dealt (again, in Donaldson's case).

it's all premised on the notion that he maintains his .850 OPS for a number of years (which of course he didn't last year) and stays top flight defensively. My opinion is that he doesn't and that 2014 becomes the norm more often than the exception. He's a Tampa icon - they should keep him.

I also don't like buying players for 6 from now at a past performance price.

We'll find our own icons.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
Not only do the Cubs have Bryant coming up, but one of Castro, Baez, or Russell may end up manning their hot corner (my money is on Castro with Russell at short and Baez at 2B).

If the Sox trade for Longoria, then they might as well throw in Michalczewski into the trade mix because Longoria is your 3B for until at least 2022. Michalczewski, Gillaspie, and a couple of arms might get their attention.

Bryant is not a 3B beyond this year. Longoria would be a massive defensive upgrade over Bryant at 3B. The Rays would absolutely be asking for either Baez or Russell in return for that deal. The guy you keep takes over 2B. They'd probably also throw a guy like Almora in maybe Alcantara in that deal as well to free up an OF spot for Bryant.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 01:14 AM)
Bryant is not a 3B beyond this year. Longoria would be a massive defensive upgrade over Bryant at 3B. The Rays would absolutely be asking for either Baez or Russell in return for that deal. The guy you keep takes over 2B. They'd probably also throw a guy like Almora in maybe Alcantara in that deal as well to free up an OF spot for Bryant.

If the core of the deal were to be Baez,Almora, and Alcantara for Longoria that would be pretty bad for the Rays. I think the deal starts with Russell or Bryant and they move from there, which is why I think the Cubs won't do it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
it's all premised on the notion that he maintains his .850 OPS for a number of years (which of course he didn't last year) and stays top flight defensively. My opinion is that he doesn't and that 2014 becomes the norm more often than the exception. He's a Tampa icon - they should keep him.

I also don't like buying players for 6 from now at a past performance price.

We'll find our own icons.

It's not assuming he remains an .850 OPS for the rest of his career, it's assuming he remains a good hitter. If he's .800, that contract still justifies itself.

What you are doing is assuming that he will have a major and significant drop off in talent for some unspecified reason because that's the only justification for implying that a guy will get substantially worse offensively and defensively. It would be like not trading for Mike Trout because you assume his bat is going to become a .750 OPS or 110 wRC+ and he's going to become below average defensively. To me, that seems like an irrational point of view.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 05:11 AM)
If the core of the deal were to be Baez,Almora, and Alcantara for Longoria that would be pretty bad for the Rays. I think the deal starts with Russell or Bryant and they move from there, which is why I think the Cubs won't do it.

I think the #4 prospect, #25 prospect, and #83 prospect in baseball going in to 2014 is a pretty damn good start.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
I think the #4 prospect, #25 prospect, and #83 prospect in baseball going in to 2014 is a pretty damn good start.

Are we going into the 2014 season still? No, we aren't. there is a season worth of data you missed. Baez looked completely overmatched at the MLB level. He has always been an overrated prospect IMO. Alcantara didn't impress me too much either.