If you could acquire one last player to complete the offseason...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imho the sox just need 1 last positional player. that will be a sp with

expiring contract.

1. Zimmermann - problem here i can't remember if the sox have a friendly

trade relations with Washington

if not

2. Cueto of Cincy. expiring contract.

i just want insurance for the pitchers going into the playoff in case of injury or

getting tired b/c of the inning pitched.

those 2 can get QO and let them go. no long term commitment unless the sox

will want to sign either Jeff or Zimm or Cueto. who will sign on the dotted line the

fastest.

prospects i will discuss tomorrow.

peace.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)

expiring contract.

if not

i just want insurance for the pitchers going into the playoff in case of injury or

will want to sign either Jeff or Zimm or Cueto. who will sign on the dotted line the

fastest.

peace.

The sox won't be able to get any of those starters without giving up anderson , not worth it imo. I'd like another starter for the 4th spot. It don't really have a name in mind

Shields would be my dream signing, but that won't happen.

As far as trades go, I'd love to acquire Jonathan Lucroy, but that's just another move that is a pipe dream.

A target I feel may be a little more realistic, although still a hard pick-up, would be C Devin Mesoraco from the Reds. I don't see a catcher listed on their top prospect lists though, so they probably wouldn't move him unless they are getting some real solid prospects back. Would they go for Flowers, Anderson, and Sanchez? I'm not sure.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 04:01 AM)

expiring contract.

if not

fastest.

peace.

well getting a sp pitcher of the talent of the above would obvious make this trade virtually

impossible. the cost is too high. but Hahn got Jeff S at a good price. so the opportunity

may be worth looking into. however we, the fans will not know if the discussion was done

or will be done.

Wash needs to move Zimmerman and his salary. there were talks of last week that Wash

would like to pursue Scherzer.

so Sanchez - they need a 2b

Hawkins - they will need a outfielder in 2016

Beck - pitcher / rp

May - another outfield in 16-17

Micker young talent for there farm.

now it would be Hahn to finesse this list.

the same can be added to Cincy who needs help and this pkg should give them a

nice boost in the talent level.

remember the Marlins, they acquired a crap load of player and won the WS in the late 90's

only to dismantle the team shortly. the did it again in the early 2000's and won again.

get to the playoff and go far, let the players walk and continue to build the farm systems. if

everything goes nice with Rodon, he can take over a spot vacated.

some of the talent i mention, while it would be a steep price, it may be worth it to go to the

WS.

Kyle Kendrick would add competition for the #5 spot in the rotation, plus he has a high ground ball rate. And a position player would be either Aoki or Ichiro as a fourth outfielder. Both guys have great contact skills and are good on base guys and that's a welcome addition on any bench.

Edited by Joshua Strong

I think we have plenty of 4th OF candidates, I'm not sure I would take add another to the fray versus upgrading at C, 3B, or 2B. I'm actually good with 2B right now because I want to see what we have in Micah, Sanchez, and Bonafacio. At 3B we have Conor who did a decent job over there, just needs to shore up his defense and he could be an average major league 3B.

What I want to upgrade the most at is catcher. Flowers is a pretty awful offensive player outside of having decent power for a catcher. A 5.7 % walk rate isn't good, but a 36% K-rate is just horrific. Adam Dunn, king of the Ks, never struck out 36% of the time even once in his career. Flowers has done it twice in 3 seasons of 50+ games. And Flowers grades as one of the worst pitch-framers in baseball as well. He's 29 years old and he's not good at all.

Hell, Rene Rivera who was involved in that giant Wil Myers deal would have even been a nice piece for the Sox to get. They just acquired Jaso in the Zobrist deal, and they already have young catcher Curt Casali and one of their top prospects Justin O'Connor coming up through the system, so who knows, maybe Rivera could be flipped over to the Sox for someone like Carlos Sanchez and Chris Beck.

Robinson Chirinos is another catcher who had a nice half season who may be an interesting low profile pick up. Although Texas doesn't really have another option at catcher until Alfaro is ready, which may be 1 more year away. I don't know what his defense is like, but they have a backup named Tomas Telis who is 23-years-old, a switch hitter, and hit .318 across AA and AAA last year while not striking out. Maybe they'd move either of those 2 guys knowing that Alfaro could make one of them irrelevant in a year or two. Maybe we throw them Brantly to fill their back up role.

I don't know, I'm just spitballing here at 3:30 in the morning, but I really feel the most uncomfortable about our catching position. We've seen Flowers for parts of 4 years now and he does not deserve a starting spot anymore than Viciedo does at this point. And we were able to solve that problem.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 03:34 AM)
And Flowers grades as one of the worst pitch-framers in baseball as well.

No he doesn't and I'm far from a Flowers fan. He's pretty much average MAYBE a tad below. This isn't Salty/Castillo were talking about here.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
Rick needs to sack up and sign Max Scherzer

This situation is so strange, and we're seeing it more and more often with high-profile free agents.

Boras is dead-set on a $200 million contract. Not one single MLB team wants Scherzer at that price. Boras' last resort is to hold out for an owner like Ilitch to say f*** it sign Scherzer at his price. No bidding war, just giving the agent and player what they want. I guess this is why everyone predicts he will end up back with the Tigers....

...But what if Ilitch or another owner doesn't do it this time? What is Boras going to do then? Accept a bidding war and go to the highest bidder? It doesn't seem like something he'd accept, but what other options would he have?

In Max's shoes... how long before you get sick of demanding the moon when you're still going to get a fair contract, and enough money to set your family and generations after for life? If I'm Max... I'm ready to find a home so I can get mentally prepared for the season. I'm telling Boras... just let teams start bidding and lets see what happens. The wild card is James Shields, but I think his highest bid is $110 million and I doubt it will go higher. His contract will have no bearing on what Max signs for.

I'm definitely in the camp that says we need one more (preferably RH) starting pitcher to put the team where I would like it to be. Problem is, it seems like what is left in the FA market is Scherzer, Shields, and a bunch of guys not worth signing. Nothing in between. Might need to be a trade somehow.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 05:34 AM)
No he doesn't and I'm far from a Flowers fan. He's pretty much average MAYBE a tad below. This isn't Salty/Castillo were talking about here.

You're right, out of 113 catchers, he was ranked 90th. So technically he was not the worst, but he's still far below average.

Rene Rivera ranked 5th best, out of 113.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
You're right, out of 113 catchers, he was ranked 90th. So technically he was not the worst, but he's still far below average.

Which is really saying something.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)

I seem to remember another pitch framing metric putting Flowers at the middle of the pack, no?