Avisail Garcia

SJB23

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Avi thing has completely changed now. This is a below average fielder based on metrics (awful routes to balls....hideous-to-awful, roughly), and he's not an on-base guy. The positives are only the power potential and that ability to take the second base w/ his speed.

This was all absolutely great to plug into RF before the recent acquisitions. But we're now win-now. What is frightening is that this goes from being a positive situation (we know how mercurial this board can be)........to becoming a scapegoat thing if next year falls short of expectations.

2015 expectations will be high, no matter what we tell ourselves. Conor or Avi are prime candidates for becoming the soxtalk whipping boy if things aren't going wonderfully.

The hope you hold onto with Avi is that he's been young at each stage of the MLB/MiLB development. Sadly last year was really important. Something salvaged at the end. But to have our win-now track means expectations for AG are sky high now. Pressure is up and that's what the gig is, of course. But it's twofold now.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Am I the only one who's not completely sold on Avi?

Please reassure me.

You're not alone. I do think he'll start to flash more power this year but he needs to hit the ball in the air sometimes to do that. I'm not convinced that his defense will ever be better than awful or that he can be a patient hitter.

A lot is riding on him. The easiest way for this team to go from the middle-of-the-pack type that they're projected as to a real contender is him making a leap.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
The power is actually one of the few things in the this-works-right-now category. The things we need dramatically improved are..nearly....all the rest of it.

In his limited time last year, yes, he looked like a guy who could have 50 XBH's. I think we'd be satisfied with that and it would work, as you say, but it's far from proven.

Said another way: ZiPS has his ISO backsliding a little. I don't think that'll happen.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
Am I the only one who's not completely sold on Avi?

Please reassure me.

You are not the only one. I wish I could re-assure you.

The most hopeful thing I can say is that he hasn't really had a good long chance to get settled in and make adjustments.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Garcia is only 8 months older than Jorge Soler. Keep that in mind when thinking about how much room the kid still has to grow into this game.

Yeah, that's what we were told about Dayan.

Put me in the camp that isn't high on Avisail...although I was very impressed with his work ethic and attitude last season...so maybe he will surprise me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
Yeah, that's what we were told about Dayan.

Put me in the camp that isn't high on Avisail...although I was very impressed with his work ethic and attitude last season...so maybe he will surprise me.

but with DV he slid backwards.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
I've been saying Conor since last July. I am sticking to it.

Interestingly, we have some padding at 3b with Bonifacio and even Matt Davidson, who actually has MLB success...but has been nearly forgotten about

What's frightening about Avi is that RF is so completely and thoroughly his. It's a situation where he will get every last chance...he'll go unchallenged all year for that slot and the only thing stopping his PA #s will be injury.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
Interestingly, we have some padding at 3b with Bonifacio and even Matt Davidson, who actually has MLB success...but has been nearly forgotten about

What's frightening about Avi is that RF is so completely and thoroughly his. It's a situation where he will get every last chance...he'll go unchallenged all year for that slot and the only thing stopping his PA #s will be injury.

there is going to be a little domino effect here. how does conor, sanchez and avi

perform, which will dictate where Bonifacio plays. lets not forget about if there

is an injury.

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
someone please give me the 'scouting report' on why we feel he has so much potential? Sometimes it feels like everyone gets giddy just because he had the "Little Miggy" nickname....

Good power, quick bat, good plate coverage. He looks like a guy who can be a hitter, but he's never shown it.

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
someone please give me the 'scouting report' on why we feel he has so much potential? Sometimes it feels like everyone gets giddy just because he had the "Little Miggy" nickname....

Google bro, google.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=18701

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/2/12/3979...-avisail-garcia

http://www.blessyouboys.com/detroit-tigers...-avisail-garcia

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...-upside-for-sox

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)

Basically, he has so much talent that he made it all the way to the Majors despite not really knowing how to play baseball. People can dream that if he learned how to hit/field, he could be an absolute monster.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
The Avi thing has completely changed now. This is a below average fielder based on metrics (awful routes to balls....hideous-to-awful, roughly), and he's not an on-base guy. The positives are only the power potential and that ability to take the second base w/ his speed.

This was all absolutely great to plug into RF before the recent acquisitions. But we're now win-now. What is frightening is that this goes from being a positive situation (we know how mercurial this board can be)........to becoming a scapegoat thing if next year falls short of expectations.

2015 expectations will be high, no matter what we tell ourselves. Conor or Avi are prime candidates for becoming the soxtalk whipping boy if things aren't going wonderfully.

The hope you hold onto with Avi is that he's been young at each stage of the MLB/MiLB development. Sadly last year was really important. Something salvaged at the end. But to have our win-now track means expectations for AG are sky high now. Pressure is up and that's what the gig is, of course. But it's twofold now.

Of course, you could say the same thing about Robertson, Duke, LaRoche, Tyler Flowers, Melky and whoever's at 2B. They are all prime "whipping boy" candidates along with Danks and Noesi to a lesser extent. It's not even assured 100% that Abreu won't have a bit of a sophomore slump. Not expecting it, but stranger things have happened.

there's something to be said for the "intangibles" that come through when a guy works his ass off after a pretty serious shoulder injury to get back on the field with his teammates well before expected, even when that team is not competing for the post season. I like this kid a lot. The second coming of Mags but only better, IMO.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 12:33 AM)
there's something to be said for the "intangibles" that come through when a guy works his ass off after a pretty serious shoulder injury to get back on the field with his teammates well before expected, even when that team is not competing for the post season. I like this kid a lot. The second coming of Mags but only better, IMO.

that is what sold me on him. his desire to get back to the field instead of taking the

rest of the yr off.