Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

So I applied for a property accounting job with this real estate investment company 2 days ago. One of my friends from my prior job works there and told me about all of the great perks and benefits. I received an email yesterday saying that they wanted to do a phone interview this morning. I didn't see it since I was in a meeting. I received another email just as I was responding to that email saying that the controller is out next week so they want me to do the interview today. That seems like that would be a good sign right? I have experience in property accounting from my previous job so they must have saw something that they like on my resume.

I feel kind of bad because my current company (which I started at last July) just finished transitioning this inter-company (the accountants and finance people of the board will know) process over to me over the past couple of months. But truth be told, the company is not great and they undervalue their employees greatly. My department has also lost 3 people over the last 3 months and a lot of departments are being transitioned oversea. Should I just stop worrying about what's best for the company and only consider what's best for me? I've always had this struggle when it comes to my jobs. 

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

So I applied for a property accounting job with this real estate investment company 2 days ago. One of my friends from my prior job works there and told me about all of the great perks and benefits. I received an email yesterday saying that they wanted to do a phone interview this morning. I didn't see it since I was in a meeting. I received another email just as I was responding to that email saying that the controller is out next week so they want me to do the interview today. That seems like that would be a good sign right? I have experience in property accounting from my previous job so they must have saw something that they like on my resume.

I feel kind of bad because my current company (which I started at last July) just finished transitioning this inter-company (the accountants and finance people of the board will know) process over to me over the past couple of months. But truth be told, the company is not great and they undervalue their employees greatly. My department has also lost 3 people over the last 3 months and a lot of departments are being transitioned oversea. Should I just stop worrying about what's best for the company and only consider what's best for me? I've always had this struggle when it comes to my jobs. 

Worry about yourself. The company has all the power you have to look out for yourself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Very true. I just feel guilty since they are short staffed at the moment.

If they dont have the right support systems around their personnel they should know they'll lose their employees. You are right to expect and look for a better work environment. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Very true. I just feel guilty since they are short staffed at the moment.

I think as a whole our society is transitioning away from feeling this way. You are #1 in your life. If your company sucks, no point in working there. If they aren't serious about improving the work-life of their employees right now, maybe they will be after they experience ridiculous turnover and the expenses associated with it. 

Companies like this will eventually become a dying breed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

I think as a whole our society is transitioning away from feeling this way. You are #1 in your life. If your company sucks, no point in working there. If they aren't serious about improving the work-life of their employees right now, maybe they will be after they experience ridiculous turnover and the expenses associated with it. 

Companies like this will eventually become a dying breed. 

This only true in the environment of low unemployment.  Many of us that worked in a higher unemployment environment really didn't have the choice and stayed with companies a long time even if the situation was poor.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes.  Who gives a fuck about them.  Do what is best for you.  

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This only true in the environment of low unemployment.  Many of us that worked in a higher unemployment environment really didn't have the choice and stayed with companies a long time even if the situation was poor.

While true, many nowadays are cognizant of how employees are treated with respect to benefits in more progressive countries. We are behind, and no matter the environment I think it is fair to expect better from employers. I do appreciate the angle you bring, though, as I hadn't considered it. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

While true, many nowadays are cognizant of how employees are treated with respect to benefits in more progressive countries. We are behind, and no matter the environment I think it is fair to expect better from employers. I do appreciate the angle you bring, though, as I hadn't considered it. Thank you. 

There is no doubt people have a right to certain expectations and that everyone should get what they can. However as I said, this can only occur when the employee has better options. If there are no other opportunities, the employers dont need to give the employees anything.

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There is no doubt people have a right to certain expectations and that everyone should get what they can. However as I said, this can only occur when the employee has better options. If there are no other opportunities, the employers dont need to give the employees anything.

Eh, sort of.  Even when opportunities were limited, this situation is about someone having the opportunity to move to another role.  Even during those days, one should always be looking out for themselves and should choose the situation that is best for them.  Staying at a company may be the best most in that situation, but I've also seen people put 30 years into a company and get tossed out without hesitation (and they were not ready for that).  You should always look out for yourself first, because a company very very rarely will.

14 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Eh, sort of.  Even when opportunities were limited, this situation is about someone having the opportunity to move to another role.  Even during those days, one should always be looking out for themselves and should choose the situation that is best for them.  Staying at a company may be the best most in that situation, but I've also seen people put 30 years into a company and get tossed out without hesitation (and they were not ready for that).  You should always look out for yourself first, because a company very very rarely will.

I believe that's what I said, if not sorry. My point was just that in times of high unemployment there may be no better opportunities. 

On 2/24/2019 at 12:42 AM, Jack Parkman said:

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that I have to work for myself in order to get my shit together. Does anyone have any ideas of work for yourself type positions that aren't sales related? I'm just brainstorming at this point. I have to be my own boss because I clash with my bosses and don't have the self-control to STFU long enough to not get fired. 

Your only option is Uber/Lyft. Go to an expert and calculate how much you have to drive in order to justify car wear and tear. You can write off your car expenses I believe. Sorry you can't control yourself around your bosses. Another option would be to put an ad online and be a dog walker or somebody who will take care of animals when folks go on vacation. If you could get several dogs a week and 20 dollars an hour, do the math. You'll make some cash and work for yourself. Or a lot of grocery stores now need delivery people. You take the orders and select the groceries then drive them to the folks' house for $$.  Have you found anything yet Jack?

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Your only option is Uber/Lyft. Go to an expert and calculate how much you have to drive in order to justify car wear and tear. You can write off your car expenses I believe. Sorry you can't control yourself around your bosses. Another option would be to put an ad online and be a dog walker or somebody who will take care of animals when folks go on vacation. If you could get several dogs a week and 20 dollars an hour, do the math. You'll make some cash and work for yourself. Or a lot of grocery stores now need delivery people. You take the orders and select the groceries then drive them to the folks' house for $$.  Have you found anything yet Jack?

I'm already doing Uber and best case I'm breaking even, if not losing money. I really don't know what other options I have. 

8 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Very respectable that you care for your company, but here’s what I tell my coworkers when this question comes up.  The company may treat you well and want to see you grow it with it, but when push comes to shove the company will always do what’s best for the company.  Loyalty is the important trait one can have IMO, but it’s got to be a two way street and corporate America can only do so much.  That being said, the last thing you want to do is be a job jumper as that will eventually catch up to you.  Doesn’t sound like the case here, so do what’s best for your career.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm already doing Uber and best case I'm breaking even, if not losing money. I really don't know what other options I have. 

Jack, what specifically are you getting into it with your bosses about?  Like I’ve worked for total assholes in the past and have been smart enough to keep my mouth shut.  And yes, I know you have autism and maybe this is not controllable to some extent.  Just curious if this is legit work stuff or other stuff, because I swear I recall you saying you got into a fight with a boss over politics which is just dumb as fuck.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jack, what specifically are you getting into it with your bosses about?  Like I’ve worked for total assholes in the past and have been smart enough to keep my mouth shut.  And yes, I know you have autism and maybe this is not controllable to some extent.  Just curious if this is legit work stuff or other stuff, because I swear I recall you saying you got into a fight with a boss over politics which is just dumb as fuck.

That one went beyond that. That guy was ridiculous, I'd walk in at 7:58 am and I was supposed to get there at 8am and I'd get my ass chewed out. The next day I walked in at 8:02 am and I got my ass chewed out for being late. The politics shit happened after I got fired. If I didn't walk into that guy's office within the 60 seconds that constituted 8:00 am, It was a major fucking issue. I got tired of the bullshit so I went off on him so he'd fire me. That guy was so cheap that he was concerned about 5 minutes on my timesheet, and I asked him if I didn't start working and clocked in at 8am, if that was ok and he said no. That was the end of it. 

A lot of it has to do with not knowing what is expected of me.  I feel like I can't do my job unless each part is broken down into individual tasks, that are prioritized. A lot of the arguments come with uncertainty, and I don't handle it well. Also, other arguments come when my boss and I have a different priority list, I'll think something is more important than it actually is, and nobody communicates that shit to me. If you don't tell me, how the fuck am I supposed to know? This is where my issues come from, the uncertainty causes anxiety that makes it more difficult to manage my workload. I'd be fine if a boss would give me a group of tasks and tell me which one they expect done first, but apparently that is too much to ask. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That one went beyond that. That guy was ridiculous, I'd walk in at 7:58 am and I was supposed to get there at 8am and I'd get my ass chewed out. The next day I walked in at 8:02 am and I got my ass chewed out for being late. The politics shit happened after I got fired. If I didn't walk into that guy's office within the 60 seconds that constituted 8:00 am, It was a major fucking issue. I got tired of the bullshit so I went off on him so he'd fire me. That guy was so cheap that he was concerned about 5 minutes on my timesheet, and I asked him if I didn't start working and clocked in at 8am, if that was ok and he said no. That was the end of it. 

A lot of it has to do with not knowing what is expected of me.  I feel like I can't do my job unless each part is broken down into individual tasks, that are prioritized. A lot of the arguments come with uncertainty, and I don't handle it well. Also, other arguments come when my boss and I have a different priority list, I'll think something is more important than it actually is, and nobody communicates that shit to me. If you don't tell me, how the fuck am I supposed to know? This is where my issues come from, the uncertainty causes anxiety that makes it more difficult to manage my workload. I'd be fine if a boss would give me a group of tasks and tell me which one they expect done first, but apparently that is too much to ask. 

I'd love to hear some stories about the 8 a.m. start of the day and the 5 p.m. end of the day. Is this still a thing? Where bosses pull this crap Jack mentioned? Like if you get in at 8:06 and it's a major deal? Anybody have horror stories? I can't even imagine as a grown person getting lit up for arriving at 8:03 a.m. My question is: Do any of you have horror stories like Jack about getting chewed out over say 10 minutes here and there? I would think an employee would start working on the resume any time such a butt chewing happened. Seems silly to me. I would guess in Chicagoland where there's tons of traffic it has to be really tricky trying to make it thru traffic and accidents, etc. I'd think you'd always have to plan for an extra hour (ugh) just to make sure you get there in time when there's snow, traffic, accidents on the highway, etc.

You should see the shit some people at my job getaway with. Show up ten mins late consistently and supervisors don't care.

Unfortunately I have a conscience that makes me 10 mins early every day. I've been pissed and what to show up late just because and I cant. It's a curse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian said:

You should see the shit some people at my job getaway with. Show up ten mins late consistently and supervisors don't care.

Unfortunately I have a conscience that makes me 10 mins early every day. I've been pissed and what to show up late just because and I cant. It's a curse.

Just depends where you work. Many union shops will tell you to go home without pay if you click in more than 5 minutes late. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just depends where you work. Many union shops will tell you to go home without pay if you click in more than 5 minutes late. 

Yeah. We're not union. I like the laid back environment but I hate seeing people take advantage of it.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

I had a conscience that made me come in 5 minutes early, and apparently that was a fucking issue with my boss regardless of the fact I didn't clock in until 8am. 

I was and still am the first one to work. As a manager I appreciated employees who were professional and arrived on time. I also was very accommodating for doctor's appointments, school meetings, and all those things that require people to leave for part of a day. 

But if you can't figure out how to be at work on time  most days I assume you don't care much about the job. I remember one employee who was late literally half the time. His excuse was his commute was anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. He always left 30 minutes before his start and it wasn't his fault if he was late. I asked why he didn't just leave 45 minutes before work. His answer was he didn't want to be early. 

Do you think he was ever promoted?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

You'd think the union would have employees' backs. Stuff happens n people are 10 minutes late. Can't u stay 10 minutes later than normal to make up for it? I think generation X and the millennials will fix this 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. obsession in business. You can' be just as productive working irregular hours.

Edited by greg775

On 6/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Self employed but not in sales?  You gotta sell something to get anything.  Everyone is in sales.  The easy way is to go get a job and simply sell your time.  You sell 8 hrs and loyalty and in return you don’t have to worry about where food and rent come from.  But you say you can’t go that route. 

The only other way is to enter the jungle & go sell something, which is harder.  Doesn’t have to be a physical object like a car or a piece of paper like insurance.

What about selling other people’s labor and marking it up for your efforts?  Or go find leads for people who offer services and sell the connections you find.  

Connecting humans = fat stacks

But going that route is scary.  The world is an absolute perfect free-market jungle that will tell you really fast what you are worth.  Why should I give Jack Parkman money?  What’s he gonna do for me?

good luck Sox fan.