Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
So the company's recruiter called me yesterday to follow-up on my interview. I was expecting them to schedule an in-person interview, but instead they were just keeping me posted and checking in on my thoughts on how things went. Never really had that happen before.

How'd you respond? Never heard of something like that before.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
How'd you respond? Never heard of something like that before.

I said I enjoyed the conversation but the role was a little different than what I anticipated, and so I didn't answer a few of the questions as well as I would have liked. She apologized for that and asked how the role was different than I anticipated. I explained, and said if I had an opportunity to interview in person I would be more prepared. She asked if I still had interest and I said absolutely. She then said the interviewer thought the conversation went well, and that I was one of the first interviews so the process is going to take a little time, but she would be emailing me periodically to keep me posted.

So I guess it was better than nothing, but when she emailed earlier in the week asking to chat again, I had higher hopes.

So more waiting...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Don't go full Johnny Football on us.

There are 2 heisman winners on the pillar showing names of heisman winners outside the football stadium. The other guy is a running back from, he's also on the HOF pillar and has a statue. Manziel...does not.

The initial position was an internal one, but the recruiter pretty much said that my experience was way past it so she wants to see if the consulting side is a better fit. I know the travel piece will get old at some point but at the same time it kind of sounds fun, still not sure if consulting is the way I want to go. My career goal is still to get into IT leadership, I think this would lead to those opportunities but don't think it'd be any faster than staying at my current company. I just can't put up with my current leadership for much longer, and we have a new CIO so opportunities are limited until he goes through a much anticipated re-org.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
A week on the job and I already want to gauge my eyes out. I cannot sit for 8 hours a day making phone calls.

I have applied for grad school and to be a GA through athletic administration (sports information work). Grad school is free, and I get a paycheck every week including summer.

So, I might go get my MBA and practice something that I know I will love doing.

How is your job going? Are you cold calling people out of the phone book or ? How do they sell insurance nowadays? Tell us how the business works. A lot of people have considered insurance sales.

Been over a year at my current job and I can't stand management. Most importantly I can't stand my bosses boss who I have to meet with on a daily basis. Over the past month, I've become so agitated that I've started looking. My family is even fine with me taking a paycut. They see how much I'm hating this job. I'm pretty sure my boss is going to be pissed (he's the type who thinks about HR rules later and says or acts first) as he wanted me to train the replacement guy for last guy who left (also after a year).

Wondering how I should deal with him. I know he's going to ask me where I'm going and probe until he gets an answer. I just want advice on how I can shut him down politely because I have a feeling he's going to get these hard feelings I have for this job out of me and I'll just rant. I'm a very even keeled job and have liked every job I've ever had, but this one, I can't fake.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 07:08 AM)
A week on the job and I already want to gauge my eyes out. I cannot sit for 8 hours a day making phone calls.

I have applied for grad school and to be a GA through athletic administration (sports information work). Grad school is free, and I get a paycheck every week including summer.

So, I might go get my MBA and practice something that I know I will love doing.

I had an opportunity to take a similar route and I would recommend getting the masters instead of just waiting. That way, if sports information doesn't pan out, you have the MBA and are pushed to the top of the pile over some other 20 something with some random experience. Make sure the masters is an MBA or something useful though. PM me if you'd like to discuss that path as I was looking at going into sports and worked in sports information for a bit too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
How is your job going? Are you cold calling people out of the phone book or ? How do they sell insurance nowadays? Tell us how the business works. A lot of people have considered insurance sales.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
I had an opportunity to take a similar route and I would recommend getting the masters instead of just waiting. That way, if sports information doesn't pan out, you have the MBA and are pushed to the top of the pile over some other 20 something with some random experience. Make sure the masters is an MBA or something useful though. PM me if you'd like to discuss that path as I was looking at going into sports and worked in sports information for a bit too.

Hey guys, thanks for asking about my job. I am working part time at State Farm now, trying to get license still (i've been real busy with school in the classroom and working at school). It's actually not too bad cold calling, it just sucks because no one ever wants to talk to you about insurance. Greg, we get internet leads, and lists of renewals of each month of people's insurance is expiring, so we call them if they are interested in State Farm.

I work 2-4 hours a day there and make roughly 40-50 calls a day. Probably will actually have a conversation with 5 people. It can be brutal. Only been there a month and I'm already the 2nd longest person that is there. Have had 3 others quit in the last month. One of which was my friend, that I got the job, and quit after 4 days.

As far as my master's, I am getting my MBA with a Sports Management endorsement. All online classes, discussion post due every Thursday (200-300 words), then respond to 2 other posts by Sunday (100-150 words), then a 3 page paper due every 2 weeks. So far, so good in terms of the school part.

The GA side of things, I'm mainly the Social Media Coordinator right now, the other GA who is in his 2nd year is handling most of the computer stuff right now (I'll do that more as the year goes on and a lot in year 2). For game days, I'll be down on the field tweeting, instagram, and snapchat, so that's pretty cool too because I do interact with the players and get pretty good footage just off my phone.

That's how things are going so far, thanks guys for asking.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 04:24 AM)
Been over a year at my current job and I can't stand management. Most importantly I can't stand my bosses boss who I have to meet with on a daily basis. Over the past month, I've become so agitated that I've started looking. My family is even fine with me taking a paycut. They see how much I'm hating this job. I'm pretty sure my boss is going to be pissed (he's the type who thinks about HR rules later and says or acts first) as he wanted me to train the replacement guy for last guy who left (also after a year).

Wondering how I should deal with him. I know he's going to ask me where I'm going and probe until he gets an answer. I just want advice on how I can shut him down politely because I have a feeling he's going to get these hard feelings I have for this job out of me and I'll just rant. I'm a very even keeled job and have liked every job I've ever had, but this one, I can't fake.

You'd be surprised. When you tell your boss you are leaving he won't grill you about things much. If you have a new job you have a new job. The boss has heard it before. I mean if you hate your boss' boss that's the way it is. If he is adamant about knowing why you are leaving, just tell him you got a new job and would rather not say where it is.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Hey guys, thanks for asking about my job. I am working part time at State Farm now, trying to get license still (i've been real busy with school in the classroom and working at school). It's actually not too bad cold calling, it just sucks because no one ever wants to talk to you about insurance. Greg, we get internet leads, and lists of renewals of each month of people's insurance is expiring, so we call them if they are interested in State Farm.

I work 2-4 hours a day there and make roughly 40-50 calls a day. Probably will actually have a conversation with 5 people. It can be brutal. Only been there a month and I'm already the 2nd longest person that is there. Have had 3 others quit in the last month. One of which was my friend, that I got the job, and quit after 4 days.

As far as my master's, I am getting my MBA with a Sports Management endorsement. All online classes, discussion post due every Thursday (200-300 words), then respond to 2 other posts by Sunday (100-150 words), then a 3 page paper due every 2 weeks. So far, so good in terms of the school part.

The GA side of things, I'm mainly the Social Media Coordinator right now, the other GA who is in his 2nd year is handling most of the computer stuff right now (I'll do that more as the year goes on and a lot in year 2). For game days, I'll be down on the field tweeting, instagram, and snapchat, so that's pretty cool too because I do interact with the players and get pretty good footage just off my phone.

That's how things are going so far, thanks guys for asking.

If you make 50 calls and have five conversations, do the others just hang up? Do they scream at you then hang up or ?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
Had an initial phone interview for a dream-type position today. Follow-up interview next.

Are you getting the job? Have you been waiting long since that call asking how you thought things went?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)
There are 2 heisman winners on the pillar showing names of heisman winners outside the football stadium. The other guy is a running back from, he's also on the HOF pillar and has a statue. Manziel...does not.

Are u a professor at A&M?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
You'd be surprised. When you tell your boss you are leaving he won't grill you about things much. If you have a new job you have a new job. The boss has heard it before. I mean if you hate your boss' boss that's the way it is. If he is adamant about knowing why you are leaving, just tell him you got a new job and would rather not say where it is.

If you make 50 calls and have five conversations, do the others just hang up? Do they scream at you then hang up or ?

Hang up. Don't answer. Not interested.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Are you getting the job? Have you been waiting long since that call asking how you thought things went?

At this point, I would guess no.

Not sure what that follow-up call was all about. I keep thinking I should check in with them to see where things are, but then I realize maybe I don't really want the job as much as I initially thought I did...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 02:42 AM)
At this point, I would guess no.

Not sure what that follow-up call was all about. I keep thinking I should check in with them to see where things are, but then I realize maybe I don't really want the job as much as I initially thought I did...

Very bizarre they called you just to ask how you felt the interview went. Weird. So many companies handle the hiring process in a very weird matter.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have my first job interview in about 8 years on Thursday. I applied sort of randomly to a different law firm for a similar job i'm doing now. I don't NEED it, but if it's a significant raise and I like the people/role I would probably move on.

Since I haven't done this in nearly a decade, who has some pointers? What do you bring? Is it still necessary to bring copies of your resume and whatnot? Or is the "I can email it to you later" now acceptable? I've never done a lateral move interview before. It's always been entry level stuff.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
So I have my first job interview in about 8 years on Thursday. I applied sort of randomly to a different law firm for a similar job i'm doing now. I don't NEED it, but if it's a significant raise and I like the people/role I would probably move on.

Since I haven't done this in nearly a decade, who has some pointers? What do you bring? Is it still necessary to bring copies of your resume and whatnot? Or is the "I can email it to you later" now acceptable? I've never done a lateral move interview before. It's always been entry level stuff.

Well I assume if you applied for the job they most likely have your CV already? I doubt it is necessary to bring copies but it certainly would not be looked down upon to do so.

I've been on both sides of this table recently and the best advice I can give you is honestly just be yourself. If you click, then you've got a good shot...if not, you don't want to be there anyways.

Good luck!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
Well I assume if you applied for the job they most likely have your CV already? I doubt it is necessary to bring copies but it certainly would not be looked down upon to do so.

I've been on both sides of this table recently and the best advice I can give you is honestly just be yourself. If you click, then you've got a good shot...if not, you don't want to be there anyways.

Good luck!

Yeah, the "be yourself" thing can sound trite but it's really true. Interviews are just conversations to see if you're the right fit, assuming there's been phone interviews and whatnot to gauge skill level/knowledge.

As for resumes, I'd bring them just in case they ask. Sometimes the person forgot to print it out or whatever, so it's a good look if you're prepared with one.

My interview sort of turned into a joke. Working for that firm would be pretty awful for the work/life balance. 8.5 billable hours a day requirement, plus team meetings, team lead meetings and corporate meetings weekly (not billable). They asked me what kind of hours I work in my current job and I told them 8:45-9 to 5-5:15 with a handful of saturdays a year. They all basically laughed.

Seems to be a 60-65 hour work week there. It's not even a pay raise, it's just basically getting a second, part-time job at the same salary. Big pass. I played it up like I was interested. If anything I'll try to turn the offer into a raise at my current place. But good Lord did it make me appreciate my work/life balance at my job, even if I am underpaid a little.

• 4 weeks later...

After a year and half of waiting, my team got new job titles/descriptions. During this time we were told that no one could be promoted or talk about promotions since they didn't have an accurate job title to move them into (yea...).

Today I was told that I was getting promoted into one of the new job titles (yay!) but it wouldn't take effect until March during our normal ACR (annual compensation review) period.

So I have two question for y'all:

1) Do I make a fuss about waiting another 4 months for this to go into effect? They already know I'm pretty upset about where I'm at currently (not just title but getting work dumped on and limited advancement opportunities outside of this team thus far). While I'm grateful to get promoted, it just seems asinine that they make you wait 1.5 years for new job titles then tack on 4 more months for really what is an arbitrary reason.

2) I've been looking at a lot of jobs externally, one big reason I wanted the title sooner is because it would make me WAY more attractive on the market. Do you guys think I could advertise that job title on a resume and if asked explain the situation?

FYI the last time I was promoted was later in the year (closer to ACR season) and that didn't impact it at all except that they included the annual bump with my promotion's raise (tacked it on top).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
After a year and half of waiting, my team got new job titles/descriptions. During this time we were told that no one could be promoted or talk about promotions since they didn't have an accurate job title to move them into (yea...).

Today I was told that I was getting promoted into one of the new job titles (yay!) but it wouldn't take effect until March during our normal ACR (annual compensation review) period.

1) Do I make a fuss about waiting another 4 months for this to go into effect? They already know I'm pretty upset about where I'm at currently (not just title but getting work dumped on and limited advancement opportunities outside of this team thus far). While I'm grateful to get promoted, it just seems asinine that they make you wait 1.5 years for new job titles then tack on 4 more months for really what is an arbitrary reason.

2) I've been looking at a lot of jobs externally, one big reason I wanted the title sooner is because it would make me WAY more attractive on the market. Do you guys think I could advertise that job title on a resume and if asked explain the situation?

FYI the last time I was promoted was later in the year (closer to ACR season) and that didn't impact it at all except that they included the annual bump with my promotion's raise (tacked it on top).

Russ,

I think it's impossible for us to know whether you should make a fuss or not. If the organization is as big as it sounds like it is, making a fuss would likely get you nowhere.

As for the use of the title, I would go ahead and throw it on my resume.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)

1. Being told you're getting a promotion and getting a promotion are two very different things. Unless you've signed something confirming that on X day in March your title and compensation change, then this is just a promise you have to hope they'll keep.

2. Unless you've performed in a position, you shouldn't misrepresent yourself unless you don't plan on using anyone at your current company as a reference. I'd personally also expect your LinkedIn title to match your resume title.

Edited by Steve9347