"Who is Jose Abreu" Article from Chicago Magazine

Whisox05

I was waiting for the online version to go up. Pretty heartwrenching stuff, it is pretty crazy when you realize that he probably hadn't seen snow until age 27. I don't remember if World Baseball classic traveled anywhere where he would have seen it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
I am only changing the title if lifer asks me to do it. I imagine Jose Abrue as Abreu's alter ego, wearing a sunglasses and a fake mustache and beard

Ya I guess you can correct abreu lol. Phone apparently likes his alter ego better

Two thoughts stood out to me after reading.

First, what a decision to make. Especially when you hear him say that he didn't hate life in Cuba. It was humble, but it was obviously all he knew and he wasn't unhappy to be there. Then leaving his son behind. So tough of a call. Even deciding whether to bring your parents, fiance, etc. I just can't fathom making those kinds of hard choices.

Second, I am worried about the way he is being portrayed. He's too good. If he's not as amazing of a person as he's being portrayed, any character flaw that pops up will become news. Yasiel Puig shows up to a game drunk? Oh well, that's quite a story, hopefully he gets over it. Jose Abreu gets in a fight with a teammate? We've been duped!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Great article. It was strange that Steverson was talking about Abreu hitting a double on OD in the freezing cold. I was there, it was my birthday and it was 67 degrees at game time.

Haha yeah it was shorts weather OD last year then ice cold for the Cubs opener a few days later as I remember laughing at some buddies who went to that.