4/17 - White Sox vs Tigers

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
People are posting about having both catchers in the line up. Apparently they have forgotten what they have posted about these catchers in the gamethreads.

Offensively they have a better chance IMO vs Price than LaRoche does

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)

I know Price is LH and Flowers is RH, but that's about the only thing Tyler would have going for him in that match up.

If Price had a tough time against RH hitters, his paycheck would be a lot smaller.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
I know Price is LH and Flowers is RH, but that's about the only thing Tyler would have going for him in that match up.

If Price had a tough time against RH hitters, his paycheck would be a lot smaller.

LaRoche has a tough time against LHP though. Robin even mentioned using Soto and Flowers on certain days vs LHP.

LaRoche has a career .715 OPS vs LHP and Flowers has a career .662 OPS vs LHP.

There might be specific lefty pitchers that have given LaRoche problems where it might make sense to sit him, but let's not even get close to the suggestion that LaRoche needs to be sitting regularly vs LHP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
People are posting about having both catchers in the line up. Apparently they have forgotten what they have posted about these catchers in the gamethreads.

Soxtalk is a collection of different people, not one gigantic dumb opinion-spewer that's constantly contradicting itself as this post alludes.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
LaRoche has a career .715 OPS vs LHP and Flowers has a career .662 OPS vs LHP.

There might be specific lefty pitchers that have given LaRoche problems where it might make sense to sit him, but let's not even get close to the suggestion that LaRoche needs to be sitting regularly vs LHP.

I agree that LaRoche's struggles against lefties are a little overblown, but his splits have widened in the last couple of years and there are reasons to believe that maybe he isn't as capable against them as he used to be.

I think DHing Avi is the answer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
LaRoche has a tough time against LHP though. Robin even mentioned using Soto and Flowers on certain days vs LHP.

This is how the bench, catchers, and LaRoche stand up for their careers vs LHP. Soto is a clear winner, with not much difference between Bonfacio and LaRoche. Flowers and Shuck lag behind all the others.

Soto career vs LHP

.285/.376/.482/.858

Tyler Flowers vs LHP career

.215/.261/.401/.662

Adam LaRoche vs LHP career

.239/.297/.418/.715

Shuck career vs LHP

.293/ .333/ .353/.687

Bonficaio career vs LHP

.291/.340/.379/.720

LaRoche's numbers since 2013 against LHP are way below his career averages (.590 OPS range). He's 0-7 in his career vs Price, Flowers 0-6. As for the eye test so far this year, LaRoche doesn't seem to be picking up anything offspeed from LHP.

Edited by fathom

Soxtalk is a collection of different people, not one gigantic dumb opinion-spewer that's constantly contradicting itself as this post alludes.

I agree that LaRoche's struggles against lefties are a little overblown, but his splits have widened in the last couple of years and there are reasons to believe that maybe he isn't as capable against them as he used to be.

I think DHing Avi is the answer.

However you want to move the pieces around, you only have 8 right/switch hitters, and that's only if you play both Soto and Flowers. Assuming that doesn't happen, you have to start at least two lefty batters. Eaton is a given, but if you want to bench LaRoche, then you are starting Gillaspie, Johnson or Shuck, so I'm not sure what you gain by insisting that LaRoche sit vs LHP.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
LaRoche's numbers since 2013 against LHP are way below his career averages (.590 OPS range). He's 0-7 in his career vs Price, Flowers 0-6. As for the eye test so far this year, LaRoche doesn't seem to be picking up anything offspeed from LHP.

Thank you for saving me the time.

LaRoche is not the same hitter he once was against lefties, that's clearly hit him as he aged. We should have expected that when we signed him, the manager should treat him that way, but alas.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
This is how the bench, catchers, and LaRoche stand up for their careers vs LHP. Soto is a clear winner, with not much difference between Bonfacio and LaRoche. Flowers and Shuck lag behind all the others.

Soto career vs LHP

.285/.376/.482/.858

Tyler Flowers vs LHP career

.215/.261/.401/.662

Adam LaRoche vs LHP career

.239/.297/.418/.715

Shuck career vs LHP

.293/ .333/ .353/.687

Bonficaio career vs LHP

.291/.340/.379/.720

Using LaRoche's career stats vs LHP is a stretch. Not the same player vs LHP anymore.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
This is either gonna be a pitchers duel or the sox are gonna get smoked 9-0. The Shark better have his A game going bc the tigers have their bats on fire so far.

Really disheartening to me that 8 games into the most anticipated year in 10 years, and almost every game so far I have felt we are outmatched, worse yet it's against all division foes.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
However you want to move the pieces around, you only have 8 right/switch hitters, and that's only if you play both Soto and Flowers. Assuming that doesn't happen, you have to start at least two lefty batters. Eaton is a given, but if you want to bench LaRoche, then you are starting Gillaspie, Johnson or Shuck, so I'm not sure what you gain by insisting that LaRoche sit vs LHP.

8 Eaton

7 Melky

3 Abreu

D Avi

6 Alexei

5 Beckham

4 Sanchez

9 Bonifacio

In my world Sanchez is with the White Sox (and the first part of the season hasn't done much to dissuade me) but he has some grisly numbers against lefties in his MiLB career too. But he wouldn't be here for his bat anyway. What you'd gain is a better look defensively, one you don't have with Avi in right and Bonifacio at 2nd. I want to clarify again that I'm not suggesting ALR is an automatic sit against lefties but his career numbers against them no longer seem important.

If only we still had Viciedo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
Really disheartening to me that 8 games into the most anticipated year in 10 years, and almost every game so far I have felt we are outmatched, worse yet it's against all division foes.

To be fair, the Tigers with Price on the mound might be the best team in all of baseball. On the other hand, teams always seem outmatched when they're slumping. Hard to win a lot of games where your 1-2 hitters are combining to hit around .300 with no power at all.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
8 Eaton

7 Melky

3 Abreu

D Avi

6 Alexei

5 Beckham

4 Sanchez

9 Bonifacio

In my world Sanchez is with the White Sox (and the first part of the season hasn't done much to dissuade me) but he has some grisly numbers against lefties in his MiLB career too. But he wouldn't be here for his bat anyway. What you'd gain is a better look defensively, one you don't have with Avi in right and Bonifacio at 2nd. I want to clarify again that I'm not suggesting ALR is an automatic sit against lefties but his career numbers against them no longer seem important.

If only we still had Viciedo.

I'd take Viciedo back on the roster to help against LHP!