Bench clearing brawl

southsider2k5

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as i hate to say this, b/c the sox was on the loosing end, i like the life KC is showing. the old Tony Larussa style of playing baseball. the one part that was bush, what the animated FU that was said by the pitchers.

however, i wonder what Eaton was saying to him as he was jogging to first base?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
From some of the stuff I read it seemed like Eaton was chirping at him because he quick pitched him.

What exactly is wrong with quick pitching? Is that one of the unwritten rules that leads to Brian McCann fighting everyone too? Speaking of, why isn't he on the Royals yet?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
What exactly is wrong with quick pitching? Is that one of the unwritten rules that leads to Brian McCann fighting everyone too? Speaking of, why isn't he on the Royals yet?

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Eaton probably said something to Ventura and then Ventura responded in kind.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)

Hitters dont like it, thats all. Not illegal but not appreciated. The hitters feel like if the pitcher gets time to get ready and throw their pitch, they should get the same respect

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
Hitters dont like it, thats all. Not illegal but not appreciated. The hitters feel like if the pitcher gets time to get ready and throw their pitch, they should get the same respect

This makes sense. I don't know if Eaton said anything warranting a "f*** you" but Ventura really needs to grow up.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
This makes sense. I don't know if Eaton said anything warranting a "f*** you" but Ventura really needs to grow up.

first, i can understand the quick pitch and all, but come on, when the hitter steps into the box, they are ready. if players don't like that, then get a running clock. the batters has every right to take their time by stepping in and out of the box.

second, if Eaton did complain, i think i would say the same thing, but not as animated.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)

Given the opponent and the recent drama, you probably shouldn't expect him to follow the "gentlemanly" ways of the game.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
first, i can understand the quick pitch and all, but come on, when the hitter steps into the box, they are ready. if players don't like that, then get a running clock. the batters has every right to take their time by stepping in and out of the box.

second, if Eaton did complain, i think i would say the same thing, but not as animated.

MLB has decided that the batters don't have the right to step out of the box and must keep one foot in at all times. New rule.

I don't think batters should be granted time outs, and there should be more urgency to pitch. But Pitchers should have more leeway due to base runners and other field items that they have to control that the batters don't.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
Ventura quick pitched him because hes a dick, nothing more.

Yeah, there actually should be a rule where the ump has discretion to call a no-pitch.

Changing your cadence once you start your motion...no problem. But to try to be a jerk on purpose, the ump should be able to call a no-pitch.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
I don't think batters should be granted time outs, and there should be more urgency to pitch. But Pitchers should have more leeway due to base runners and other field items that they have to control that the batters don't.

I disagree. The pitcher versus the batter is like a chess match. If you're going to grant the pitcher basically all the time in the world to deliver his pitch, you should allow the batter to do the same.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
I disagree. The pitcher versus the batter is like a chess match. If you're going to grant the pitcher basically all the time in the world to deliver his pitch, you should allow the batter to do the same.

I don't think pitchers should get all the time in the world, but just more leeway.

And chess matches are incredibly boring.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
Duke quick pitched someone last week.

I would need to see it again, but did he start his motion after the batter was set, or while the batter was in the middle of a pre-pitch routine?

There's a difference, in my opinion. It's not as simple as the batter is in the box and should be ready to hit at any moment. There needs to be a little bit of an understanding that the batter gets a second to get ready for a pitch, and we all know it when we see it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
I would need to see it again, but did he start his motion after the batter was set, or while the batter was in the middle of a pre-pitch routine?

There's a difference, in my opinion. It's not as simple as the batter is in the box and should be ready to hit at any moment. There needs to be a little bit of an understanding that the batter gets a second to get ready for a pitch, and we all know it when we see it.

The batter definitely wasn't set. It looked like one of those step off throws to first a lefty makes although obviously he didn't step off, it looked like he short armed it, and it was about an 85 mph right down the middle. I think it was Carlos Santana, and he couldn't swing. He just took off his pads.

If Ventura quick pitched Eaton, I have no problem with it. There is time to get ready in the box.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 06:05 AM)
There was a HBP earlier in the game, probably unintentional, on what people said was a changeup, my guess was Yost started yelling at Sale because of that.

Ventura's comments said that Eaton yelled something at him before he replied.

It was an 85 MPH change up. They did a slow mo when it happened and you could see the circle change grip.