Bench clearing brawl

southsider2k5

I still don't know why people think the Shark should get a larger suspension then Volquez. Volquez threw a wild haymaker that just missed from connecting. All the Shark did was charge at a guy and fall on his ass. Sale jumped into the pile but didn't do anything so I'm still unsure why he got tossed or will get suspended.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Hitting Cain intentionally the first series of the seaon.

This all goes back to last year and him getting after Cain and Ventura when he played for the A's.

There's clearly more than meets the eye going on in terms of the backstory with those three...and the Samardzija also getting after Christian Colon from the dugout last night

I don't understand why everyone just accepts Cain's version of the events. This is the same guy who loves to celebrate every hit like a game 7 walkoff and he wants to call people out for professionalism. That is not the last pitcher he is going to piss off. He clearly was yelling at Samardzija before it escalated. They are both at fault. And if him, Colon, and Ventura have that big of rabbit ears, you can expect a lot more teams chirping at them.

Samardzija deserves to be suspended, but it absolutely can't be more than Ventura. He has escalated a fight the last three times he has started a game. And let's not forget he hit Abreu in this game before Sale hit anyone.

The spin has been heavy out of KC today, but the league can't let them off light. If they punished Ventura appropriately last time, none of this likely happens.

Love the passion there Lil Bulldog.

Its like Russell Crowe calling out commodus/Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator at the end...put up or shut up time. Talk is cheap. Lets see some results on the field, thats all that really matters.

It took seven years, from 2001-2008....to finally knock off the Twins (thanks to a coin flip). Lets just hope its not 2011-2018 before we finally beat the Royals again head-to-head.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Levine is on WSCR now saying that Sale went to the Royals clubhouse/locker room after the incident to look for Ventura.

Sale gets into a fight and suffers a labrum/shoulder injury...you might as well stick a fork in Hahn's entire rebuilding plan.

This also MUST be addressed by Ventura. The whole "loose cannons are fun until they go off" vibe going on with both Shark and Sale. If Buehrle (or Konerko) were still around he would be sitting Sale down now for a lecture about professionalism and representing the Chicago White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf.

Chris and Jose are the franchise right now. An injury that's not even baseball-related would be crippling.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Samardzija's not your typical Notre Dame douche but a douche he is.

Did you ever play? It doesn't seem like. This "shaming" idea and letting cooler heads prevail seems like a societal approach that can't be applied to a bunch of testosterone filled athletes. On the field it's all about respect and having your boys back. Everybody good team has a chip on their shoulder one way or another.

I played many sports in high school and college (not baseball however, as I couldn't hit ANYTHING, despite being an OK pitcher). Guys would talk smack all the time. It gets them more mad when you ignore it or laugh at them. And when they finally do something, they get ejected, not you. The other guy is only showing you up if you let him show you up. It would still end a lot of the fights as not as many people will want to charge the mound without teammates to 'hold them back'.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
After some reflection, I'm just angry about this whole thing today. I'm angry at Eaton for apparently instigating a shouting match, I'm angry at Shark and Sale for being loose cannons, I'm angry Avi couldn't pull the trigger or lay off some questionable pitches, I'm angry about our f***ing lack of execution with runner on 2nd, 0 out in extra innings. We couldn't even effectively get him over.

Most of all, what I'm angry about is Robin Ventura's "things have happened before with this team" comment about KC. What makes me particularly angry is that there is absolutely no accountability and there's no fire from this manager. I want to see some f***ing EMOTION about this loss. You're at home against a contending division rival, a bench clearing brawl happens, five players are ejected including two of your three best starters in an extraordinarily important divisional series that will largely decide how the next month may go - and your apparent f***ing response as a manager is "well, what CAN you do?"

I want a closed door meeting - that should come from Robin.

I want a manager calling out HIS OWN players for their lack of DISCIPLINE.

I want a manager doing ANYTHING to light a fire under this team which has a total lack of cohesion.

We need a CHANGE in this department. WHY do we have this manager?

I like Robin as a player (god I'm tired of that qualification).

I've seen NOTHING from him that he adds ANYTHING to this team in the management department, and the response AFTER THIS - an important f***ing home game against a division rival that we SHOULD have won - is INFURIATING.

These types of games are the difference between 75 and 90 wins, folks.

The assumption of course being that because Ventura didn't tell the media what he said to his team, that must mean he said nothing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
The Robin Ventura angle on this fight...if you're anti-Robin, choose your battles. This isn't one of them.

More disappointed in the stupid decisions made by Sale the last 10 months or so, dating back to the cheating accusation in Detroit

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
The assumption of course being that because Ventura didn't tell the media what he said to his team, that must mean he said nothing.

That's not my assumption, necessarily. I'm giving you my observation.

I see nothing from this team in terms of fire or cohesion, and that does come from the top down.

Do you see any evidence to the contrary?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
The Robin Ventura angle on this fight...if you're anti-Robin, choose your battles. This isn't one of them.

Every f***ing game is a battle I'm choosing, currently.

Please, by all means, enlighten me as to where he has excelled in the department of "manager" in the 2015 season.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)

I see nothing from this team in terms of fire or cohesion, and that does come from the top down.

Are you seriously asking this question the day after a brawl, and our top two pitchers trying to fight the entire opposing team?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
More disappointed in the stupid decisions made by Sale the last 10 months or so, dating back to the cheating accusation in Detroit

And Robin had a closed door meeting with him where the beat writers heard some shouting. I don't think Sale is the sharpest knife in the drawer, but going to the other clubhouse is really nothing. He isn't getting in. The only problem I see is if somehow the message that Sale is waiting for him gets to Ventura and goes and kicks his 185 pound ass. But there are better odds LaRoche can go a week without striking out than that happening.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)

A team with no fire or cohesion was just involved in a bench clearning incident, with multiple guys going after guys on the other team, led by the same Robin Ventura who charged after Nolan Ryan after being headhunted.

Yeah, just because Ventura doesn't put on a floor show like Ozzie did for the media, doesn't mean anything. You just saw both fire and cohesion last night, as that entire team left the bench looking for blood to protect one of their own. If that isn't fire and cohesion, I don't know what is.

QUOTE (shakes @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Are you seriously asking this question the day after a brawl, and our top two pitchers trying to fight the entire opposing team?

on the field, between the lines, during the games? I don't see much from our lineup, consistently.

Yeah, I saw a couple of loose cannons go off in a fight last night. Hopefully it carries over to game play for a few games in a row.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
Every f***ing game is a battle I'm choosing, currently.

Please, by all means, enlighten me as to where he has excelled in the department of "manager" in the 2015 season.

I'm all for Ventura being replaced...he should have never got the job in the first place. But to say he did or said something wrong last night? No, I don't think he did anything wrong, or said anything wrong publicly. Chances are he's pissed at some of his players right now, as well as the Royals.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Who was the first to report that Sale went over there looking for a fight? And did it come out last night or this morning

A KC radio host tweeted last night that he heard it from a "source"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
Nate Bukaty @nate_bukaty · 4h 4 hours ago

Was told by a good source that Sale came to the Royals clubhouse in the 8th inning, looking to fight Ventura.

This is what his Twitter profile says: Commentator for Sporting KC, Co-host of The Border Patrol on Sports Radio 810, and broadcaster for Jayhawk Network

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)

I agree totally. He is one of the most important players on our team, and he needs to start acting like it.