Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
In the long run this team will get more from finding out what they have in a few guys and having them succeed versus moving up a few slots in the draft.

If we're talking about the difference between spots 11 and 13 you're right. If you're talking about the difference between slot 11 and slot 10, you're 100% wrong. That's the difference between being able to sign a top level free agent and not. Or the difference between a high first round pick and a 2nd round pick. That's the difference between having a Chris Sale/Carson Fulmer and giving him up.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
If we're talking about the difference between spots 11 and 13 you're right. If you're talking about the difference between slot 11 and slot 10, you're 100% wrong. That's the difference between being able to sign a top level free agent and not. Or the difference between a high first round pick and a 2nd round pick. That's the difference between having a Chris Sale/Carson Fulmer and giving him up.

I see no scenario that has us signing that type of free agent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)

Exactly. 11th means we lose protection of the top 10 picks in case we want to make a run at Heyward or another top free agent. It also means the Sox didn't play well enough to warrant much enthusiasm for next year. If we ended up with a decent finish to season and win 81-82 games, I'd be fine with that if it meant our young guys were succeeding and we can count on them for next year (although I'm not sure how much they can show us in 5 weeks).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
I see no scenario that has us signing that type of free agent.

Even if we don't sign a top guy, what if we end up trading Quintana and decide to replace him with one of the 2nd tier SP on the market this offseason? Top 10 pick is still really valuable there.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Even if we don't sign a top guy, what if we end up trading Quintana and decide to replace him with one of the 2nd tier SP on the market this offseason? Top 10 pick is still really valuable there.

I don't see us signing a guy with a big enough deal that he would have gotten a QO. Of all people Balta has repeatedly made the case about how we have no money to spend this off season, especially if Samardjiza is brought back.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
Exactly. 11th means we lose protection of the top 10 picks in case we want to make a run at Heyward or another top free agent. It also means the Sox didn't play well enough to warrant much enthusiasm for next year. If we ended up with a decent finish to season and win 81-82 games, I'd be fine with that if it meant our young guys were succeeding and we can count on them for next year (although I'm not sure how much they can show us in 5 weeks).

for me, i am counting on the owners as the wildcard here.

this yr, they took their lumps, they took the media picturing them as bumbling along, esp leading up to the trade deadline and most of all i am counting on them being pissed off for the general overall performance of the 2015 season.

they may take a trip to the fa's market.... now the question is who might it be for.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
for me, i am counting on the owners as the wildcard here.

this yr, they took their lumps, they took the media picturing them as bumbling along, esp leading up to the trade deadline and most of all i am counting on them being pissed off for the general overall performance of the 2015 season.

they may a trip to the fa's market.... now the question is who might it be for.

Hopefully they are pissed off about the 2015 performance and also seeing what is happening with the team on the north side. Forget loyalty and I'd like to see them bring in a real professional like a John McDonough type. But, we all know that won't happen.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
WE HAVE A PROTECTED PICK!

Great, now lets use that and the fact that Danks and LaRoche will be gone after '16 to go hard after Heyward. Come on down RHP Robert Tyler.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Hopefully they are pissed off about the 2015 performance and also seeing what is happening with the team on the north side. Forget loyalty and I'd like to see them bring in a real professional like a John McDonough type. But, we all know that won't happen.

They need to let go of the old, and let Rick Hahn do his thing. This year we saw the promotions of Jeremy Haber and Nick Hosleter*, but guys like Buddy Bell and Kenny still remain. I really hope a team like the Mariners or the Jays pony up and get him out of here.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
f*** I hate saying this....f*** it keep losing. Love my sox but I hate Ventura as manager.

While I don't hate Ventura as the manager I think it's time for a change/a new direction. His biggest problem has been the worthlessness of about 1/3 of his team.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
While I don't hate Ventura as the manager I think it's time for a change/a new direction. His biggest problem has been the worthlessness of about 1/3 of his team.

It's not the manager's fault but a change of voice would do wonders.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
At this point, if you're rooting for the best pick available or a protected pick, just root for 5th in the division. Division games are 80% of the schedule after this week.

Exactly. I'm not rooting for losses this year. I just don't care when they lose. With 3 picks in the top 65 or so, should be interesting draft regardless.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
At this point, if you're rooting for the best pick available or a protected pick, just root for 5th in the division. Division games are 80% of the schedule after this week.

The reason why we're now in a "protected pick" slot is that last night's loss dropped us behind Detroit and Cleveland again. Remember how we swept Cleveland in a 4 game series? It took us a month or so to give up that positioning.

Where do the Sox rank if you pencil in a minimum of 1-5 in the final six versus KC? Sox figure to go 0-6 or 1-5 vs KC. I think we have the worst team in the league to tell you the truth and it will probably come to fruition with our record in September.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
Where do the Sox rank if you pencil in a minimum of 1-5 in the final six versus KC? Sox figure to go 0-6 or 1-5 vs KC. I think we have the worst team in the league to tell you the truth and it will probably come to fruition with our record in September.

10-15 in the final 25 division games. 4-4 against the Yankees and A's. Win tomorrow.

75-87.

9th pick.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)

Don't have to "root" for fifth in division. Those losses will take care of themselves. Sox aren't going to suddenly play well in divisional games the final four weeks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 04:11 AM)
10-15 in the final 25 division games. 4-4 against the Yankees and A's. Win tomorrow.

75-87.

9th pick.

I think they could go 7-15 in the division games and 2-6 vs the Yankees and A's. Where would that put them closing out the season 9-21?