Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
Other than some kind of miraculous 39-14 finish down the stretch and making the playoffs (not gonna happen) this would be the best thing to happen to the Sox for this season. We are 5 games up on a potential top 3 pick right now. Bring Up Erik Johnson and go to 6 starters to save some wear and tear on Sale and Q for the long run. Bring up Micah Johnson (have him DH if need be) when healthy and let the kids play. See what we might have in the system that can help win next year. If we could get a top 5 pick (take BPA), a comp pick for Samardzija in the top 30 overall pick range, and only lose a 2nd rounder for the 2016 draft because we signed a top young free agent at a weakness for the team, I would be happy as hell.

Im on board with all of this. I'd like to see them get Trayce as many AB's as possible as well splitting time at DH, but ultimately I would love for him to be out in the OF much more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I'm fully on board with getting a top-10 pick and then making a run at Heyward in the offseason.

This is what I have been saying since we fell out of the race. Jason Heyward makes this defense and line up better.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Any recent comparable deals so we know what to expect? It's probably going to be something in the range of $22-25 million per year, isn't it?

Assuming he continues this year at this pace, he's going to hit FA having been a 20 fWAR player over the last 4 years, topping out at 6.5 fWAR in 2012. His only down year out of that span he put up 3.4 fWAR but that was also an injury shortened season.

When Robinson Cano signed his 10/$240 deal, he was worth 23 fWAR during the previous 4 seasons. No injury lost season, but he signed that at his age 31 season.

When Prince Fielder signed his 9/$214, he was closer to Heyward's age, starting his age 27 season, but he was only worth 15 fWAR the previous 4 seasons.

Heyward turned 26 two weeks ago. He's younger than Fielder was when he signed for 9/$214, he's easily outperformed Fielder over the past 4-5 seasons, his performance is closer to Cano's and he's ~5 years younger than what Cano was.

That brief exercise of comparing where Heyward's contract should fall relative to those two just scared me enough that I don't want to look any more. On top of those numbers contracts have continued to grow since those examples were signed. From that you wind up with an argument that he should easily beat Cano's money.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
Well it was a fun 2-3 week break from reality. Now back to the real race.....

Sox have the #12 pick.

0.5 GB of the #9 pick.

2.5 GB of the #5 pick.

8.5 GB of the #1 pick.

I have faith in my team. I believe they can get to #5 and maybe even better!

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
Assuming he continues this year at this pace, he's going to hit FA having been a 20 fWAR player over the last 4 years, topping out at 6.5 fWAR in 2012. His only down year out of that span he put up 3.4 fWAR but that was also an injury shortened season.

When Robinson Cano signed his 10/$240 deal, he was worth 23 fWAR during the previous 4 seasons. No injury lost season, but he signed that at his age 31 season.

When Prince Fielder signed his 9/$214, he was closer to Heyward's age, starting his age 27 season, but he was only worth 15 fWAR the previous 4 seasons.

Heyward turned 26 two weeks ago. He's younger than Fielder was when he signed for 9/$214, he's easily outperformed Fielder over the past 4-5 seasons, his performance is closer to Cano's and he's ~5 years younger than what Cano was.

That brief exercise of comparing where Heyward's contract should fall relative to those two just scared me enough that I don't want to look any more. On top of those numbers contracts have continued to grow since those examples were signed. From that you wind up with an argument that he should easily beat Cano's money.

You make a good point, and we all know that defense is valued, Heyward is far less explosive with the bat than Fielder or Cano while both play pretty exceptional defense to go with their power bats.

Heyward has only exceeded an OPS above 800 twice in 6 years, his rookie year, and in 2012. This year he is currently at 780.

Cano and Fielder have only had OPS' under 800 twice each in their entire career.

Defense is valued, but it's still an offensive game and Heyward doesn't produce enough like Fielder or Cano do/did.

Now, with the price of contracts keep going up, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a contract like that but, I just don't think he will command that much money.

I could see 8/175 for Heyward and I think the Sox would be ok with what he could bring to this team defensively and offensively. Remember, Sox did bid on Tanaka at 5/150 I believe and that's without throwing a pitch at the MLB level and at the age of 25.

I would sign Heyward for 8/175 or 7/155

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
Can't see the Sox being willing to invest that much money on a single player. That's simply not how they work.

Mark

LOL - then let's relentlessly question "how they work". Their "how we work" approach has been devoid of any results for a decade now. It's been a disaster, and nothing from the recent past creates any confidence in the near or long-tear future.

We need new ownership, folks - it's as simple as that. Otherwise, until then, we'll get yet another round of the KW/KH failed way to get us into the playoffs. Where have we heard this nonsense before!

Our Southside franchise has no hope for survival outside a more frequent and expected return to postseason play. Jerry Reinsdorf has proven unable to provide the Sox fan base that most minimal of expectations. How do we lift ourselves as Sox fans above this malaise? I feel we're doing the Sox' work for them - soliciting their expertise. Let everyone figure it out for themselves!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 02:37 AM)
LOL - then let's relentlessly question "how they work". Their "how we work" approach has been devoid of any results for a decade now. It's been a disaster, and nothing from the recent past creates any confidence in the near or long-tear future.

We need new ownership, folks - it's as simple as that. Otherwise, until then, we'll get yet another round of the KW/KH failed way to get us into the playoffs. Where have we heard this nonsense before!

Our Southside franchise has no hope for survival outside a more frequent and expected return to postseason play. Jerry Reinsdorf has proven unable to provide the Sox fan base that most minimal of expectations. How do we lift ourselves as Sox fans above this malaise? I feel we're doing the Sox' work for them - soliciting their expertise. Let everyone figure it out for themselves!

Do you ever not include Jerry Reinsdorf in a post?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)

i have been very critical of the sox ownership as anyone here. but they are not going any where. so how to fix this streak of ineptness from the sox org,

a new harsher directive ..... get rid of the good ole country club inner circle of no accountability.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
i have been very critical of the sox ownership as anyone here. but they are not going any where. so how to fix this streak of ineptness from the sox org,

a new harsher directive ..... get rid of the good ole country club inner circle of no accountability.

LDF- i like the family style at the top. But i do kinda side with the people who say we need to change the way we develop hitters. Or draft hitters. One or both of those has some problem clearly.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

Those two ideas can't co-exist. The inner circle of no accountability comes directly from the ownership.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
Those two ideas can't co-exist. The inner circle of no accountability comes directly from the ownership.

oh man, why did you have to ruin my day..... :angry:

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
Hanging on to 11. They'll never get better than 7th.

What's probably going to happen...they'll win 19-21 games, end up with 77-79 wins and draft 11th or 12th.

Drafting 11th is pretty much worst case scenario for this season (well that and Samardzija not getting signed by someone else so we lose the pick).

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Drafting 11th is pretty much worst case scenario for this season (well that and Samardzija not getting signed by someone else so we lose the pick).

anywhere outside the 11 th pick, will be bad. plain and simple.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)

Definitely root for the Red Sox the next two nights.

16-23 the last 39 would be fine by me, but they'll probably do better than that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
I just still can't find myself to want losses this year.

i know what you mean.... i am in a huge dilemma here. i want them to win every freaking single game.

but if they just bring up the call ups.. maybe that will be a little less bearable.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
I just still can't find myself to want losses this year.

Why? They haven't proved they can have anything resembling a real, meaningful streak. Drafting outside the top 10 does not but weakens this team going forward. They will miss the top 10 though, because that's so incredibly White Sox.