Gillaspie DFA'd; Albers called up

thedoctor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@whitesox: White Sox have also designated infielder Conor Gillaspie for assignment.

@whitesox: White Sox have returned RHP Matt Albers from his injury rehabilitation assignment at Class AA Birmingham and reinstated him from the DL.

Bringing up Albers has our 40 man at 38.

@whitesox: Following the moves, the White Sox 40-man roster is at 38.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 2m2 minutes ago

White Sox have returned RHP Matt Albers from his injury rehabilitation assignment at Class AA Birmingham and reinstated him from the DL.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 2m2 minutes ago

White Sox have also designated infielder Conor Gillaspie for assignment.

Well, Beckham is up because of his ability to play around the diamond more. Gillaspie was strictly a 3b, and one with poor defense.

Gillaspie has been a non factor all year. Won't miss him. Rather see Saladino up in his spot any day of the week.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
yep, 2 terrible utility infielders remain. Great roster construction, Hahn.

Preach it bro! Where you at Hahn?? You should have made a perfect roster like the other 29 teams did. Only team in baseball with holes.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
I guess I understand this move but why the f*** is Boni and Beckham still around?

the bottom line is the unknown factor. conor's personality...... while there is no publish rpt, many can see how difficult of a person he was around the dugout and his interaction with other players.

i bet with his slump, that didn't help matters.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
Preach it bro! Where you at Hahn?? You should have made a perfect roster like the other 29 teams did. Only team in baseball with holes.

Yes, who can question a 73 win team spending $6 million on utility infielders, neither of whom can hit, and one who can neither hit nor defend? What team wouldn't keep a player with a .356 OPS on its 25 man roster?

Gillaspie is a better hitter than Beckham or Bonifacio. And he can play 1st.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think Gillaspie had the least trade value among Bonifacio and Beckham. Not that either one of those guys will bring back much, but 12 days from now, teams may find some value with Beckham and Bonifacio on their benches that Gillaspie doesn't have.

But they all could be gone by Aug 1.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
I guess I understand this move but why the f*** is Boni and Beckham still around?

They're worth more because they get paid more than Gillaspie I guess . Robin doesn't trust Bonifacio in the infield that's for sure and he's rarely played the OF. He's been worthless this year hitting and fielding . Maybe for his role he can play more positions than Conor run faster and switch hits.

Didn't think they'd jettison what little LH power they had on the bench because of the plantar faciitis. Thought maybe a DL stint for Conor and a Bonifacio DFA was coming. I'll miss sweet swingin" Conor and his joie de vivre :P

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Yes, who can question a 73 win team spending $6 million on utility infielders, neither of whom can hit, and one who can neither hit nor defend? What team wouldn't keep a player with a .356 OPS on its 25 man roster?

Conor has been horrible this year. His value has always been tied to hitting RHP and that has stopped. He is now a reserve with limited flexibility who does nothing well. Is he a better pinch hitter option than Bonifacio & Beckham? No doubt, but for all other aspects of the game I'd rather role with one of the two guys.

This simply comes down to getting rid of the worst of three s***ty options and quite frankly it doesn't really matter who they chose. The important thing is they're committing to Saladino, which is the right call at this point in time.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)

What purpose does Gillaspie serve if he's not the starting 3B? He's not good defensively at 3B. You mention 1B - any infielder can play 1B and we have a gold glover who DHs most days. His role would be that of strict pinch hitter and we already have a better LH pinch hitter in Shuck on the roster. Since Saladino came up, Gillaspie has been MIA. I'm not thrilled about the move simply because I like Connor, but it is the right move. Gordon can't hit at all but he is an asset to have on the bench defensively. And Boni has been terrible, but he at least can run a bit, something every bench needs.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
What purpose does Gillaspie serve if he's not the starting 3B? He's not good defensively at 3B. You mention 1B - any infielder can play 1B and we have a gold glover who DHs most days. His role would be that of strict pinch hitter and we already have a better LH pinch hitter in Shuck on the roster. Since Saladino came up, Gillaspie has been MIA. I'm not thrilled about the move simply because I like Connor, but it is the right move. Gordon can't hit at all but he is an asset to have on the bench defensively. And Boni has been terrible, but he at least can run a bit, something every bench needs.

i don't know if this is a right move or not, i think there are other factors at work. i can see him being an option, if he can work out of his hitting slump. his lack of D at 3b is but a minor excuse. his production has added to an excuse to dfa but i think that is the only reason.

boni running is greater than conor hitting.... i don't think so.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
i don't know if this is a right move or not, i think there are other factors at work. i can see him being an option, if he can work out of his hitting slump. his lack of D at 3b is but a minor excuse. his production has added to an excuse to dfa but i think that is the only reason.

boni running is greater than conor hitting.... i don't think so.

Defense at 3B is not a minor excuse. Yeah Connors bat is maybe slightly above replacement level, but his glove is so bad that you can't start him at 3B anymore. If you can't see that, I digress.

Boni has flexibility and Conor has none. I wouldn't have complained of it was Boni not Connor, but I understand the decision.