8-14-15 Cubs vs Sox 3:10CDT (Hendricks vs Samardzija)

jasonxctf

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
No but he doesn't need to be. 20/10 guy would be fine. He will probably hit 15 home runs this year and he will continue to get better.

those are outdated metrics anyways he needs to be a 2.0 war player. To get there he either needs to slash 280/330/480 or slash like he is and massively improve his defense and baserunning.

I'm betting on his bat turning into an asset and his defense never getting any better than passable in RF.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I won't. I'll eat hats or whatever. And I'll only be bitter about it if it happens when he;s on another team. I love it when Avi gets hits -- it feels like finding money on the ground in the parking lot.

I'm really glad Avi just drove those two runs in, but he's still in the midst of a sub-replacement-level season.

This post. Word for word.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I won't. I'll eat hats or whatever. And I'll only be bitter about it if it happens when he;s on another team. I love it when Avi gets hits -- it feels like finding money on the ground in the parking lot.

I'm really glad Avi just drove those two runs in, but he's still in the midst of a sub-replacement-level season.

What is really interesting is to compare the offensive numbers of Soler and Avi.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
No but he doesn't need to be. 20/10 guy would be fine. He will probably hit 15 home runs this year and he will continue to get better.

Again nothing close to what was advertised by the Sox brass on the great Avi. I agree with your numbers by the way.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
No hit and run/run and hit there?

First inning woes continue.

Saladino coming back down to earth, as expected. .235 and falling.

I wonder if he could execute a sacrifice bunt? Anything wrong with getting the tying runner to second base? I know that doesn't happen often with this current White Sox team.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
we tried that once and it failed. I am sure they are reluctant to do it again. I think Laroche who is a gold glove fielder might be better playing the field. Maybe?!

I simply meant LaRoche in his current role...that seems to be the big excuse for his lack of production this year.

Are they 100% committed to making Abreu a full-time DH next year?

Will believe it when it happens.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Again nothing close to what was advertised by the Sox brass on the great Avi. I agree with your numbers by the way.

Well what they said was probably unreachable. There aren't many 30/30 players out there and to say that of a 21 year old who hasn't had much MLB experience is absurd. It makes the fans expect more then they should.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Luckily we play in the AL that has a DH. Thompson continues to show strides the rest of the year and the off-season you could see him in RF and Avi DHing

That's not what Rongey said the other day on the radio. He said he could not see the Sox sitting a veteran and who happens to be paid $12.5 mil. I sure hope he is not speaking for the White Sox!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)

I am not sure why people take "could be" when talking about prospects, and then get pissed when it doesn't happen. Those are ceilings, not promises. The vast majority of guys don't hit their ceilings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
What is really interesting is to compare the offensive numbers of Soler and Avi.

That is interesting, indeed. Identical wRC+. More pop for Avi, more on-base for Soler. Strangest part is that Soler's plate discipline looks great, while Avi's look embarrassingly bad (from the Pitch FX numbers). Seems like Soler should be making a lot more contact, but he's actually striking out more than Avi. I wonder if he's got the Marcus Semien problem where he can't handle two-strike counts well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
That is interesting, indeed. Identical wRC+. More pop for Avi, more on-base for Soler. Strangest part is that Soler's plate discipline looks great, while Avi's look embarrassingly bad (from the Pitch FX numbers). Seems like Soler should be making a lot more contact, but he's actually striking out more than Avi. I wonder if he's got the Marcus Semien problem where he can't handle two-strike counts well.

Hm...I would guess that you may be onto something there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
I am not sure why people take "could be" when talking about prospects, and then get pissed when it doesn't happen. Those are ceilings, not promises. The vast majority of guys don't hit their ceilings.

Point was Sox brass is terrible at evaluating talent period. Still today are saying 30/30 nonsense.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)

neither one of them can hit a breaking ball to save their lives. Avi has an absurd o-zone % of 46.4, Soler is only at 30% don't know what his problem is on them. Avi is obviously swinging at junk a lot.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
neither one of them can hit a breaking ball to save their lives. Avi has an absurd o-zone % of 46.4, Soler is only at 30% don't know what his problem is on them. Avi is obviously swinging at junk a lot.

That is what Avi is best at hitting, breaking balls.