2015 Wild Card Games

flavum

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
So they're sacrificing OF defense to get LaStella's bat into the lineup? What?

They are sacrificing OF defense to improve IF defense for a ground ball pitcher, while keeping their best bats in the lineup.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
So they're sacrificing OF defense to get LaStella's bat into the lineup? What?

I saw a Cub loving media member say LaStella was in the line up to get Cole's pitch count up. Expected him to see 24 pitches in 3 ABs.

One thing I found interesting, as bad as the White Sox were this season, they were only 3 games worse vs. AL opponents than Houston.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I saw a Cub loving media member say LaStella was in the line up to get Cole's pitch count up. Expected him to see 24 pitches in 3 ABs.

One thing I found interesting, as bad as the White Sox were this season, they were only 3 games worse vs. AL opponents than Houston.

And they were 3 games better than Houston on the road.

Bad idea wearing my Sox jacket to work today. All ready heard about it from Cub loving aholes around the office. Ready for a cubs world series winner? Can you handle it? I said first off, we won it first and if you can go 11-1 in the playoffs and dominate the crap out of each team then talk to me after that happens. Got a dirty look. I love it

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)

Speaking of which, despite all the talk going around lately about how the NL Central is so amazing, they couldn't even manage a winning record against the worst division in the AL. Not saying the AL Central is better, but good lord am I sick of the NLC circlejerk.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Speaking of which, despite all the talk going around lately about how the NL Central is so amazing, they couldn't even manage a winning record against the worst division in the AL. Not saying the AL Central is better, but good lord am I sick of the NLC circlejerk.

There is no doubt STL, PIT, and the Cubs would have good records in the AL, but the best 3 teams in baseball crap is just that, crap. There are a lot of gimmes in the NL.

We should bring Soler over to the SouthSide and balance out the disappointing Cubans with Viciedo vs. Abreu/Ramirez.

Actually, it would be great to trade them Avi and pieces for Soler but I'm not sure the Cubs would be willing to go for that. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what they eventually end up doing with Castro, Baez, Schwarber and Soler, to name a few.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
We should bring Soler over to the SouthSide and balance out the disappointing Cubans with Viciedo vs. Abreu/Ramirez.

Actually, it would be great to trade them Avi and pieces for Soler but I'm not sure the Cubs would be willing to go for that. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what they eventually end up doing with Castro, Baez, Schwarber and Soler, to name a few.

The only way the Cubs and Sox match up is Sox sending a pitcher over for position players.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)

Soler was replacement-level this year and that was despite a .361 BABIP. Yikes. That said, he's still better than Avi, because he could still potentially be a 2-3 WAR player. I don't see Avi ever getting there.

Edited by OmarComing25

I'm just assuming Arrieta does his thing and the Cubs move on to the Cardinals.

On an intellectual level, I'll feel sorry for the team that loses tonight because I think the system in baseball isn't just unfair--it's wrong.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
I am more of the Castro goes 0-4 with 7 LOB. I have a trouble seeing the Pirates getting to Arrieta though. He's given up 2 runs in his last 9 starts. I can't remember a run like that.

Time for that run to end tonight.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
I am more of the Castro goes 0-4 with 7 LOB. I have a trouble seeing the Pirates getting to Arrieta though. He's given up 2 runs in his last 9 starts. I can't remember a run like that.

That was my "baseball rarely goes how you think it will in the playoffs" prediction.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Never seen so many Wood and Soriano jerseys at work. Also, Bryant's playing LF instead of RF because of the deeper dimensions in LF at Pittsburgh.

I regret not finding an excuse to work from home today.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
So many people today sporting Cubs gear around me. People you wouldn't think were Cubs fans, let alone baseball fans... meanwhile I'm sitting here in a Sale jersey :lol:

I already got ripped at work over my sox jacket this morning.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
I'm just assuming Arrieta does his thing and the Cubs move on to the Cardinals.

On an intellectual level, I'll feel sorry for the team that loses tonight because I think the system in baseball isn't just unfair--it's wrong.

Just a few years ago the Cubs would be playing golf right now. A few decades ago both the Cubs and Pirates would be out. Neither team won their division but yet they are still getting a shot at making the playoffs.

12 times the White Sox have won 90 or more games and missed the playoffs. How different would our history be if they had one final shot at the end of the season to advance?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
I was accused of being "more of a Cubs hater than a Sox fan" just because of what I chose to wear.

I was told i should be ready for the cubs world series win because its going to happen and that theirs will be more important then 2005. I said go 11-1 in the playoffs and dominate each team then come and talk to me after that happens.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Just a few years ago the Cubs would be playing golf right now. A few decades ago both the Cubs and Pirates would be out. Neither team won their division but yet they are still getting a shot at making the playoffs.

12 times the White Sox have won 90 or more games and missed the playoffs. How different would our history be if they had one final shot at the end of the season to advance?

There have been things about the playoff system that have been unfair. When they went to three divisions, plus a wildcard, it almost was better because it protected the wildcard team in the event they were the second best team in the league. It was still bad, but almost more acceptable

Once they went to five of fifteen getting in, divisions are no longer needed at all. Play a more balanced schedule, top 3 get in, 4 and 5 play one game to get in. Pretty simpe solution to all of this nonsense. I know people will play the travel card, or complain about a handful of extra games on the west coast, but sometimes every other option is too stupid to keep doing. This is where MLB is right now. It's too stupid to keep it the way it is.