Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
How many $100 million players have the Royals signed in their history?

And the news today said they will not be raising payroll.

The highest is Gil Meche for $55 million and 5 years, not too far off from Abreu/Dunn actually. Of course, that was almost a decade ago, when nobody wanted to go to KC as a FA and Glass felt they had to set a precedent by overpaying.

There are rumors they want to keep the Opening Day payroll roughly the same as last year, but they will open the bank for Cain/Hosmer/Moustakas and Alex Gordon if they can get any of those four to come close to signing reasonable extensions into their FA years. The odds would still have to be considered higher to keep a player than for the Sox to bring a new player into the organization, fwiw. Obviously it didn't work with Zobrist, so they decided that Colon/Mondesi/Infante (since he is already a sunk cost) are better options financially.

For their perspective, they have a limited two year window left. The White Sox have the opposite problem, their window has been pushed back to 2017 and more likely 2018.

If there is any time in history they would go out and spend that money, it's going to be now...defending a World Series championship. That said, they have one of, if not the worst local media rights deal in MLB, and it doesn't come up for renewal until the White Sox contract with CSN expires (2019).

For the White Sox, they're just fighting to get to 3rd place in the AL Central.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
The highest is Gil Meche for $55 million and 5 years, not too far off from Abreu/Dunn actually. Of course, that was almost a decade ago, when nobody wanted to go to KC as a FA and Glass felt they had to set a precedent by overpaying.

There are rumors they want to keep the Opening Day payroll roughly the same as last year, but they will open the bank for Cain/Hosmer/Moustakas and Alex Gordon if they can get any of those four to come close to signing reasonable extensions into their FA years. The odds would still have to be considered higher to keep a player than for the Sox to bring a new player into the organization, fwiw. Obviously it didn't work with Zobrist, so they decided that Colon/Mondesi/Infante (since he is already a sunk cost) are better options financially.

For their perspective, they have a limited two year window left. The White Sox have the opposite problem, their window has been pushed back to 2017 and more likely 2018.

If there is any time in history they would go out and spend that money, it's going to be now...defending a World Series championship. That said, they have one of, if not the worst local media rights deal in MLB, and it doesn't come up for renewal until the White Sox contract with CSN expires (2019).

LOL

If,the window,has been pushed back another year or 2 how,come you came back to this site after you stated you wouldn't return until Bentura or KW were gone unless it is to troll?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)

For the love of God, just admit you're a Royals fan.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
For the Royals, it's Gordon or bust.

It'll be a battle with Angels, Orioles, White Sox and Nats.

So you have Tigers, Angels, Orioles, Cardinals, Nationals...the White Sox are a distant 6th in terms of financial resources or playoff-competitive roster/s.

KC has a roughly 25% chance at keeping Gordon OR signing Cain/Hosmer/Moustakas to extensions into their FA years.

You also have to think that Upton might be more comfortable staying in the NL, where he's spent his entire career.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
For the love of God, just admit you're a Royals fan.

Just like I was a "fan" of the Twins and Tigers over the last 15 years.

I knew just as much about those organizations as the White Sox when we were competing with them...but it's human nature to follow or emulate "winning teams" so there's much less focus on the Terry Ryan/Gardenhire Way than there was from 2001-2010. Surely that will change again if Sano, Buxton and Berrios continue on their predicted trajectories.

I'm more than happy to discuss any of the AL Central teams at length, but I hardly see any comments here about the Twins or the Indians, other than the fact that Cleveland is looking to trade one of their young pitchers like Carrasco, Bauer or Santana and there's concern that Brantley will miss 3-4 months and they're also contemplating moving Kipnis to 3B if they trade for a premium 2B.

What organization do you want to discuss?

I've made a number of posts here in the last 2-3 days and 85-90% of them are about the White Sox off-season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
So you have Tigers, Angels, Orioles, Cardinals, Nationals...the White Sox are a distant 6th in terms of financial resources or playoff-competitive roster/s.

KC has a roughly 25% chance at keeping Gordon OR signing Cain/Hosmer/Moustakas to extensions into their FA years.

You also have to think that Upton might be more comfortable staying in the NL, where he's spent his entire career.

Aren't Moustakas & Hosmer Boras clients? If so, good luck signing them to extensions.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Aren't Moustakas & Hosmer Boras clients? If so, good luck signing them to extensions.

That's why I said the odds weren't that good.

Not sure about Cain's situation/agent, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with the Braves helping to sell out their new suburban stadium when they're ready to compete again.

As far as Gordon goes, it's similar to Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle. He stays with the Royals, he owns that town for the rest of his life, gets his statue, Royals Hall of Fame, he and Sal Perez end up as the two biggest iconic symbols, with Hosmer essentially in 3rd when he departs via FA.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
Bring back Mark for one year

Does anyone really believe they're prepared to add $30-35 million to this year's payroll?

There also has to be some concern about what Buehrle has left in the tank and how sad it would be to see two franchise icons go out in less than stellar fashion, after the way Konerko's farewell tour played out and all we could think was how he USED to be the best fastball hitter in the game before injuries and age finally took their toll.

As much as I'd love to believe he would do just fine, a large part of me is concerned he would be better off retiring...especially if the team's out of the race early, it would be especially sad to see him pitching in meaningless games, rather than starting for the Cardinals, for example.

As a lifetime Buehrle fan, he deserves that opportunity. Just don't think either will happen at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
Does anyone really believe they're prepared to add $30-35 million to this year's payroll?

There also has to be some concern about what Buehrle has left in the tank and how sad it would be to see two franchise icons go out in less than stellar fashion, after the way Konerko's farewell tour played out and all we could think was how he USED to be the best fastball hitter in the game before injuries and age finally took their toll.

As much as I'd love to believe he would do just fine, a large part of me is concerned he would be better off retiring...especially if the team's out of the race early, it would be especially sad to see him pitching in meaningless games, rather than starting for the Cardinals, for example.

As a lifetime Buehrle fan, he deserves that opportunity. Just don't think either will happen at this point.

i really don't remember how it was said or in what content it was meant. but the sox said that they will prob spend something like 20 mil.

now back to your question, do i think they will spend 30-35 mil this yr on payroll. well i will be honest, i never thought they would spend 10 mil.

i will also admit that i was wrong in that area as well.. for the life of me, i really don't have a clue as to how much they will spend .

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:30 PM)
STLCards not chasing Alex Gordon - or any "dynamic" signing, @dgoold reports.

So maybe down to CHW, Balt, and LAA ( the O's are rumored to be targeting Gallardo)

Have the White Sox been linked to Gordon? How about Cespedes? I don't recall hearing any actual rumors, more speculation.

Obviously, there have been some rumors earlier this month about Upton.

Which of these require a draft pick to sign?

Baltimore is the one team I'm not sure what they are doing, if they are truly out on Chris Davis also.

Angels seem to be in the hunt and Cardinals claim they are not.

Very interesting. Have to assume this will sort itself out quickly, as in this week for at least one of these guys.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
Have the White Sox been linked to Gordon? How about Cespedes? I don't recall hearing any actual rumors, more speculation.

Baltimore is the one team I'm not sure what they are doing, if they are truly out on Chris Davis also.

Very interesting. Have to assume this will sort itself out quickly, as in this week for at least one of these guys.

Cespedes is the only one that will not cost a pick. Upton, Gordon and Davis will cost a pick to sign.

Haven't read anything linking the Sox to anyone but Upton.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
I'd like a backup plan just in case Danks or EJ completely fall apart, but the top 3 is just about as solid as it gets. Not to mention that Fulmer is waiting in the wings if they need him.

Fulmer is not as advanced as Rodon was. I don't think he will be called up except for a cup during September.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)

Cespedes doesn't require pick. That's it

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
KC is rumored to be after Gallardo. Can they afford to sign a FA pitcher and hitter?

Not unless it's a second or third tier guy like Austin Jackson, Snider, Pearce, G.Parra, Victorino, etc.

They would probably be hoping to pay less than Alex Rios' $10 million...Dyson and Orlando would platoon in RF, Cain in CF and ? in LF.

They'd almost have to go with a free agent option or trade to fill LF, as the internal options like Starling are a year away at least. Among Lane Adams, Fuentes, Eibner, Martinez and Bonifacio, can't see them trusting a position to a rookie at that position with the Royals already committed to using Dyson/Orlando in RF...and Colon/Infante/Mondesi at 2B is yet another issue.

Perhaps they could try Colon or Mondesi in LF...but doubtful.

Rotation with Bonifacio is improved.

Ventura

Volquez

Gallardo

Medlen

Chris Young or Duffy

Zimmer or Almonte

That provides them insurance for Medlen (two TJ's) and also the ability to stick Duffy back in the bullpen, as they have no LHR until Tim Collins returns in May or thereabouts. Overall, a lot more depth than a month ago if they were to sign Gallardo.

They could also trade top pitching prospect Kyle Zimmer (but often injured) or Raul Mondesi, Jr., for a LF.

Edited by caulfield12

He's much better than Frazier and without the loss of young talent.

Sign him and dump some combination of Melky, Avi, Laroche

Upton-Trayce-EAton is a nice defensive outfield.

And if the Sox dump Trayce in this "package" for some slugger, the horrendous OF defense from last year won't improve.

Surfing other fan forums and found this comparing the free agent OFs.... Pretty nice visual tool to compare these guys offensively.

HT Angles Win fan forum

http://i.imgur.com/PNm8mjt.png

http://i.imgur.com/HJcXhkw.png

http://i.imgur.com/DSxb0OE.png

http://i.imgur.com/0iT6r7G.png

http://i.imgur.com/qWpIdsZ.png

Edited by Frank_Thomas35