Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
Listening to both Hahn interviews now. One thing I kind of want to know is do GMs just call around and see in general what prospects other teams like of theirs to call in for three team deals. That piece on the Dodgers saying they could get Frazier was so interesting, I wonder if we call them to bring them in or are just talking to them about their players and it comes up.

I am guessing that the Dodgers were going to send the same or similar package to Reds for Chapman. When that fell apart, Frazier was brought up but LAD didn't want him due to Turner. Cincy probably told Hahn that they wanted those three from LAD so they worked out the three way. Friedman said he wasn't comfortable moving Frazier to the OF or Turner to 2B.

Also saw a tweet shortly after the trade that said Sox were involved in the Chapman trade. I believe it came from Heyman or Rosenthal. Would have been interesting to see what that deal would have looked like, but presume the Sox were still getting Frazier.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
It should be a RH hitting OF that plays good defense as the 4th guy. Someone like Austin Jackson. This would allow you to rotate the DH spot among the OF's vs LHP

He'd be okay.

As his offense has tailed off, he has actually improved production against lefties. He'd be great for a platoon...the Sox could get a little creative. Could save the long term contract, save the draft choice and get close to the same production with a platoon.

But Robbie and Kenny Williams don't platoon.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
He'd be okay.

As his offense has tailed off, he has actually improved production against lefties. He'd be great for a platoon...the Sox could get a little creative. Could save the long term contract, save the draft choice and get close to the same production with a platoon.

But Robbie and Kenny Williams don't platoon.

I still have no idea what you're basing this on. Who should have been platooned that wasn't?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 06:05 AM)
It should be a RH hitting OF that plays good defense as the 4th guy. Someone like Austin Jackson. This would allow you to rotate the DH spot among the OF's vs LHP

Or someone like Trayce Thompson. Just get him back from the Dodgers. Then he could play RF and be backup CF or be the ideal 4th OF.

Fans didn't love Todd Frazier because of his numbers, though his numbers were good enough. They loved him for his spirit. To fans, Frazier was not a line item on a balance sheet. He wasn't a clean set of digits all in a row, given meaning by odd acronyms such as WAR and OPS and the delightful-sounding BABIP.

Fans here didn't quantify Frazier or study him like he was an equation or mine his statistics for undiscovered lodes of "value''. They just enjoyed him. On and off the field. He gave them a reason to smile. And go to the ballpark.

Todd Frazier brought fans in, because they thought they knew him and they liked what they thought they knew. Ditto Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce. Frazier wasn't numbers. Frazier was family.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/col...-fans/77627880/

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:01 AM)
Fans didn't love Todd Frazier because of his numbers, though his numbers were good enough. They loved him for his spirit. To fans, Frazier was not a line item on a balance sheet. He wasn't a clean set of digits all in a row, given meaning by odd acronyms such as WAR and OPS and the delightful-sounding BABIP.

Fans here didn't quantify Frazier or study him like he was an equation or mine his statistics for undiscovered lodes of "value''. They just enjoyed him. On and off the field. He gave them a reason to smile. And go to the ballpark.

Todd Frazier brought fans in, because they thought they knew him and they liked what they thought they knew. Ditto Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce. Frazier wasn't numbers. Frazier was family.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/col...-fans/77627880/

This underlines the fact that baseball really does need a cap to have all teams remain competitive not just the most money wins. However there needs to be a floor as well to keep owners honest and not just grab for more profit at the expense of the team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
This underlines the fact that baseball really does need a cap to have all teams remain competitive not just the most money wins. However there needs to be a floor as well to keep owners honest and not just grab for more profit at the expense of the team.

Really, it's just a Loria cap, and he did spend the money on Stanton at least. Probably not Fernandez, too. Risky.

Actually, Oakland, the Rays, Astros and DBacks were lower. And it's hard to really fault those two teams because of their stadium issues...

Amazingly, the Pirates were 25th in their third consecutive year in the playoffs with that $85 million or so.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Really, it's just a Loria cap, and he did spend the money on Stanton at least. Probably not Fernandez, too. Risky.

Actually, Oakland, the Rays, Astros and DBacks were lower. And it's hard to really fault those two teams because of their stadium issues...

Amazingly, the Pirates were 25th in their third consecutive year in the playoffs with that $85 million or so.

yeah, but really look at the team talent.... can you imagine that team if they would have gotten a price and and latos .......

it is the same with cle.....

this is my opinion. sox has to look at 2 teams this off season while trying to field a team.

the northsiders and cle.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)

big time. the owners screwed it up in the last cba......

but here is a rhetorical question, would the players and the union allow that to be on the table to negotiates in the next rounds of the cba????

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Looking back on this trade, I still think we got the best return, but I am growing concerned that Frazier may put up 2013-like numbers for us.

Still better than what they had, if only for defense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
Still better than what they had, if only for defense.

Hopefully the Sox get Frazier of 2014 and first half of 2015...that's what is needed to justify the trade. I think there's a decent chance the Sox see that. He's 2 years away from getting paid, so I'm confident we won't see him lollygagging, in contrast to other acquisitions.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
If that happens, I will definitely cry and then buy a ticket plan.

I get the feeling that if they add one of the two OF'er (especially Cespedes), I think they'll bring back Alexei on a cheap 1-2 year deal.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
I get the feeling that if they add one of the two OF'er (especially Cespedes), I think they'll bring back Alexei on a cheap 1-2 year deal.

I could see that as well. 1 year deal with a club option because Anderson is on the cusp.

Just took a look at the free agents next year, definitely some interesting options as well once LaRoche and Danks leave.