**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
I understand how some could feel the show is at a lull right now, but i am fascinated by it. They are establishing the different storyies that hosts have experienced and showing how they are starting to recall previous events and have feelings about these events(ie the host killing all of the people in the bar because he held a grudge against them from previous stories, where they all killed him).

Delores killing the guy about to rape her was crazy. I cant wait to find out who is really messing with the code, Hopkins seems too convenient

I'm with you, there is a lot of interesting stuff there. It is just jarring to not really know who the point of view the show is in. If it's delores I just don't think it will work.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding WestWorld and the pyramid. I think the top of the pyramid is the willingness to survive or someone's survival instinct.

I think Delores has to be completely sentient and conscious, because she couldn't fire the gun with Teddy because as the tech said, only host with the appropriate narrative have the privilege to fire a gun/use a weapon. So when Delores is about to get raped, not only does she find the gun she is able to fire it. Her willingness to survive overrided her programming and that is very human.

I'm fully on board with the theory that William is the Man In Black, 30yrs earlier. When we first see William, the camera fades in from black and he's waking up on the train, probably from the train. That's textbook on how to begin a flashback. The Man In Black did say that he's been coming to the park for 30yrs and we know that there was an accident, the death of Ford's partner (I believe). So I think we're seeing William the White Hat transform to the Man In Black.

Jonathan Nolan did write the story that became Memento, so flashbacks aren't new to him or his family.

Edited by Joshua Strong

Forgot a Nolan was in charge, all of the criticisms I've had make sense.

Westworld Pitch Meeting

Nolan: "And they are in a beautiful western set theme park where the priviledged kill and rape the robots, who are slaves to their storylines. But what if the robots gain consciousness? What if we wake up with them, what world will it be?"

HBO Exec: "That's fantastic this is green lit, this is going to be so much fun!"

Nolan: "Yeah! It's going to be just like reading a board game manual!"

HBO Exec: " Wait, what?"

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)

Westworld Pitch Meeting

Nolan: "And they are in a beautiful western set theme park where the priviledged kill and rape the robots, who are slaves to their storylines. But what if the robots gain consciousness? What if we wake up with them, what world will it be?"

HBO Exec: "That's fantastic this is green lit, this is going to be so much fun!"

One of my biggest complaints and likes about the show is the lack of exposition regarding the park and it's rules. So far the only straight exposition we've gotten has come from Logan when he tells William the how to of the park. The Man In Black has provided some but it's very cryptic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)

Westworld Pitch Meeting

One of my biggest complaints and likes about the show is the lack of exposition regarding the park and it's rules. So far the only straight exposition we've gotten has come from Logan when he tells William the how to of the park. The Man In Black has provided some but it's very cryptic. Kinda reminds me of the XFiles

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm still watching westworld but I was expecting it to start hitting a groove.

The parts where it starts to "recreate" the robot loops, even though we see the differences, are kind of tedious. And when we experience new story lines, I kind of just want to fastforward them. There's something about that plot device that is so tedious to experience.

I am eating everything up like crazy.

I understand how some could feel the show is at a lull right now, but i am fascinated by it. They are establishing the different storyies that hosts have experienced and showing how they are starting to recall previous events and have feelings about these events(ie the host killing all of the people in the bar because he held a grudge against them from previous stories, where they all killed him).

Delores killing the guy about to rape her was crazy. I cant wait to find out who is really messing with the code, Hopkins seems too convenient

You summed it up for me. I am all-in on Westworld. I adore it.

I always love it when the guy who played Trevor Philips in GTA 5 shows up on the shows I watch. I believe he was on Better Call Saul once, too.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1476804/

I really want to like Westworld and will stick through it for the rest of the season, hoping it starts to reel me in, but I get what some of you are saying. It does feel a bit tedious at times and has a few too many lulls.

That whole side story with the male and female employee tracking down the stray was so lame too. The writing and acting seemed so 2nd rate that it felt like I was watching some B movie on the SyFy network.

Edited by BigSqwert

I went into the third episode knowing about the theory that William is Ed Harris's character from 30 years earlier but I'm not sure if that works for me. I enjoyed the 3rd episode more than the 2nd, but it's still all a bit confusing to really get into.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
I went into the third episode knowing about the theory that William is Ed Harris's character from 30 years earlier but I'm not sure if that works for me. I enjoyed the 3rd episode more than the 2nd, but it's still all a bit confusing to really get into.

There are definitely a lot of layers at play, things to follow and references to understand.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
TWD getting some mixed reviews, but I really think last night's episode and its underlying violence was needed to move the show forward. We need to understand clearly why Rick would succumb to someone like Negan and the brutality last night demonstrates why.

Your point is spot on.

Re: Westworld

A couple of those posted theories were debunked last night...but I have no idea where they are going...and I like it! Except I think there is going to be a meaningful collision course between the Man in Black and Delores. But I don't know why yet.