Dexter Fowler as a secondary option

blackmooncreeping

Posted this in the Cespedes thread previously but thought it might warrant a separate thread; feel free to move if needed.

I really don't want to give up the pick for him, especially to the Cubs, but Fowler is an intriguing fit as a secondary option after YC/JU. It's not as splashy, but he could play an effective CF and it would allow us to move Eaton to LF and put Melky in the DH spot. And I think most importantly, Fowler would fit perfectly in the 2 hole and provide the Sox with 2 guys at the top who get on base at a good clip in front of the heart of the order. And Sliding Melky down to 5th or 6th in the lineup is a better spot for his bat to produce imo.

Having said all that, I of course prefer Cespedes :D

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Posted this in the Cespedes thread previously but thought it might warrant a separate thread; feel free to move if needed.

I really don't want to give up the pick for him, especially to the Cubs, but Fowler is an intriguing fit as a secondary option after YC/JU. It's not as splashy, but he could play an effective CF and it would allow us to move Eaton to LF and put Melky in the DH spot. And I think most importantly, Fowler would fit perfectly in the 2 hole and provide the Sox with 2 guys at the top who get on base at a good clip in front of the heart of the order. And Sliding Melky down to 5th or 6th in the lineup is a better spot for his bat to produce imo.

Having said all that, I of course prefer Cespedes :D

The Cubs won't be getting a pick for Fowler because they signed 2 QO free agents. I wouldn't give up a pick for Dexter Fowler. I'm pretty sure Sox won't give up a pick unless it's for Upton

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
The Cubs won't be getting a pick for Fowler because they signed 2 QO free agents. I wouldn't give up a pick for Dexter Fowler. I'm pretty sure Sox won't give up a pick unless it's for Upton

So what happens to the team that signs Fowler, assuming it isn't the cubs? Do they still lose a pick, and if so, to whom?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
So what happens to the team that signs Fowler, assuming it isn't the cubs? Do they still lose a pick, and if so, to whom?

The system doesn't work that way anymore. If a team with a late 1st rounder signs Fowler, they lose the pick. However, the Cubs would then forfeit that selection "in the comp round) because they signed 2 free agents with QO's.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
The system doesn't work that way anymore. If a team with a late 1st rounder signs Fowler, they lose the pick. However, the Cubs would then forfeit that selection "in the comp round) because they signed 2 free agents with QO's.

Got it; Sox would still lose pick, it just doesn't go directly to Cubs.

Fowler would achieve fixing the #2 slot in the line up. Whether he hits there, or the Sox move Eaton to the 2 hole and hit Fowler lead off, those two would make a nice 1/2 punch. Sure it isn't 30 homers a year, but it is a guy who gets on base, steals a few bases, and has some pop in his bat. It would improve the OF, the OF defense, and the balance in the line up.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
This article predicts that Fowler will come to the Sox. Any thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...d-fowler-end-up

Take it with a grain of salt. That article has Austin Jackson going to the Nat's who have a much cheaper option in Michael Taylor as their 4th outfielder. For some reason I just cannot see Fowler being the big upgrade the Sox need for the outfield.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Eaton doesnt have the arm for RF, it would make more sense to move him to LF and Melky to RF then.

Eaton has a strong arm, he just needs to catch and throw instead of trying to bait the base runners into challenging his arm. Still yet, I think Eaton would be a better LF than RF. Problem is that Melky should not be in RF either.

Damn does this team have some OF issues!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Take it with a grain of salt. That article has Austin Jackson going to the Nat's who have a much cheaper option in Michael Taylor as their 4th outfielder. For some reason I just cannot see Fowler being the big upgrade the Sox need for the outfield.

Eaton has a strong arm, he just needs to catch and throw instead of trying to bait the base runners into challenging his arm. Still yet, I think Eaton would be a better LF than RF. Problem is that Melky should not be in RF either.

Eaton's arm ranks 20th of qualified CFers, Fowler's ranks 16th (out of 23). Strangely enough, it looks like Melky has a worse arm than either so my original point is completely baseless now ;)

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Eaton's arm ranks 20th of qualified CFers, Fowler's ranks 16th (out of 23). Strangely enough, it looks like Melky has a worse arm than either so my original point is completely baseless now ;)

I think you've been drinking the same Coolade that the Hawk has been drinking.

If you listen to the Hawk long enough, you start to believe some of the garbage that he spouts.

As it stands now, the Cubs are losing their 1st and 2nd round picks. When somebody signs Fowler, they would get a comp pick which would become the second pick they lose and they would get their 2nd round pick back.

Sox have a comp pick, so that is the pick they would lose by singing Fowler.

The advantages to Fowler is that he is a higher OBP guy, is a switch hitter, would be cheaper than and would probably be a bit better corner OF than Cespedes. He's not good enough in CF to displace Eaton.

Cespedes gives you better AVG and far better SLG plus does not cost a pick.

I'd rather have Cespedes, but if the price difference is huge, Fowler is worth it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)

Eaton's arm is plenty strong enough for RF; you would keep Melky in LF and put Eaton in RF if Fowler comes in. Genarally speaking, RF is considered harder to play so in theory you would put the better guy (Eaton) in RF.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
As it stands now, the Cubs are losing their 1st and 2nd round picks. When somebody signs Fowler, they would get a comp pick which would become the second pick they lose and they would get their 2nd round pick back.

Sox have a comp pick, so that is the pick they would lose by singing Fowler.

The advantages to Fowler is that he is a higher OBP guy, is a switch hitter, would be cheaper than and would probably be a bit better corner OF than Cespedes. He's not good enough in CF to displace Eaton.

Cespedes gives you better AVG and far better SLG plus does not cost a pick.

I'd rather have Cespedes, but if the price difference is huge, Fowler is worth it.

Cespedes won a gold glove in LF, Fowler is not a better defender

Cespedes won a gold glove in LF, Fowler is not a better defender

It's hard to compare the two because Cespedes has played mostly LF and Fowler CF. Cespedes is a better LF than Fowler is a CF, but I think Fowler might be a tad better in LF than Cespedes.

Oh and gold gloves are probably the worst possible accolades to use to make any argument. Jeter was still winning gold gloves while he was close to the worst SS in the AL.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Fowler's defense isn't looked at as much of improvement from the current, "as of today", outfield. It looks like he could come at a major discount, but the cost of the draft pick is probably a bigger hurdle.

I really haven't seen much in the way of speculation on what type of deal Fowler could get. What would you think would be fair, especially considering the draft pick?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
I really haven't seen much in the way of speculation on what type of deal Fowler could get. What would you think would be fair, especially considering the draft pick?

Denard Span is getting $35M over three years guaranteed ($43M if his fourth year option is picked up). Span is three years older and a better defender than Fowler, but Span is also coming off an injury. Fowler should get a similar contract.

That said, I don't see much difference between Dexter Fowler and Jacob May or Adam Engel. May and Engel are probably better defenders, too.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
Denard Span is getting $35M over three years guaranteed ($43M if his fourth year option is picked up). Span is three years older and a better defender than Fowler, but Span is also coming off an injury. Fowler should get a similar contract.

That said, I don't see much difference between Dexter Fowler and Jacob May or Adam Engel. May and Engel are probably better defenders, too.

I don't really want Fowler, but this is ridiculous.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)

Green sox is that you?

May and Engel may become to decent to slightly above average big league players, but this comment is crazy. And I don't even like Fowler that much.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Fowler's defense isn't looked at as much of improvement from the current, "as of today", outfield. It looks like he could come at a major discount, but the cost of the draft pick is probably a bigger hurdle.

My question is, how does his defense project in a corner spot (vs. CF). Maybe he is slightly below average in CF, but if you plug him into RF, does he all of a sudden turn into a plus defender (does he get worse...stay about the same)? What about if he plays in left?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
I don't really want Fowler, but this is ridiculous.

Here's one aspect that I relate to, however. If we sign Fowler, that is a position I still want to upgrade in the coming years, yet our OF would be set for the next 3