2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
The Cubs love of Baez is confounding.

Brett Lawrie has been a 1.0 WAR player for the White Sox so far this season and is on a path to being a 1.5-ish guy assuming no dropoff. Baez only has 2/3 the number of at bats, hasn't been an every day player, but has piled up 1.6 WAR already. He's been an above average contributor on offense, defense, and baserunning. He's also versatile, being used at multiple positions without being an obvious defensive weakness. He has cut his K-rate down to 22%, which isn't great yet but it's a major upgrade for him and in a 600 PA season that would leave him with 130ish Ks, which is a manageable number for a guy with decent power. And...he's only 23.

I was skeptical about him after seeing him in the minors. He kept us cool with the wind kicked up by his swings and misses and then occasionally hit balls 400 feet. He's impressing me with his adapting at this age.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
Brett Lawrie has been a 1.0 WAR player for the White Sox so far this season and is on a path to being a 1.5-ish guy assuming no dropoff. Baez only has 2/3 the number of at bats, hasn't been an every day player, but has piled up 1.6 WAR already. He's been an above average contributor on offense, defense, and baserunning. He's also versatile, being used at multiple positions without being an obvious defensive weakness. He has cut his K-rate down to 22%, which isn't great yet but it's a major upgrade for him and in a 600 PA season that would leave him with 130ish Ks, which is a manageable number for a guy with decent power. And...he's only 23.

I was skeptical about him after seeing him in the minors. He kept us cool with the wind kicked up by his swings and misses and then occasionally hit balls 400 feet. He's impressing me with his adapting at this age.

Yep, he's been awesome as a super utility player for them. He'd easily be the 2nd best offensive player on the Sox this year in terms of fWAR.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
He also has his spots picked for him. If he was playing every day, his production on a per game basis probably takes some sort of hit.

I would expect his defensive value to go up playing just one position. I know there are some intricacies regarding player value adjustment based on position, but don't most organizations prefer their top players get more at bats? The fact that Baez has improved without everyday at bats is remarkable.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
I would expect his defensive value to go up playing just one position. I know there are some intricacies regarding player value adjustment based on position, but don't most organizations prefer their top players get more at bats? The fact that Baez has improved without everyday at bats is remarkable.

He is facing RHP about 67% of the time vs. 80% or so an everyday player would face them. He is .245/.268/.390 vs. RHP. Defensively, I have no idea, but as an everyday player I think his offensive numbers per AB drop a bit. Still young, still improving, so who really knows what the future holds. He could be great, he could suck, he could be average. What puzzles me is if the Cubs were so sold on him, why did they put so many blocks into his playing time on the roster. Something there doesn't add up IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
He is facing RHP about 67% of the time vs. 80% or so an everyday player would face them. He is .245/.268/.390 vs. RHP. Defensively, I have no idea, but as an everyday player I think his offensive numbers per AB drop a bit. Still young, still improving, so who really knows what the future holds. He could be great, he could suck, he could be average. What puzzles me is if the Cubs were so sold on him, why did they put so many blocks into his playing time on the roster. Something there doesn't add up IMO.

I think it's very clear - they wanted to win the world series this year and were smart enough to realize that relying on 23 year olds who haven't proven anything and have a long way to go is a great way to sabotage that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I think it's very clear - they wanted to win the world series this year and were smart enough to realize that relying on 23 year olds who haven't proven anything and have a long way to go is a great way to sabotage that.

They relied on young guys last year, they relied on young guys this year. They must not be as high on them as they want everyone to think. Signing Zobrist to the contract they gave him is curious if Baez is half the player they try to pass him off to be, and they have no intention of trading.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
They relied on young guys last year, they relied on young guys this year. They must not be as high on them as they want everyone to think. Signing Zobrist to the contract they gave him is curious if Baez is half the player they try to pass him off to be, and they have no intention of trading.

Last year they didn't come into the season thinking they were a world series contending team. Signing Zobrist was pricey but sensible for a world series contending team. It's the opposite of counting on Avisail Garcia and getting burned when he isn't a contributor - they weren't going to risk something like that derailing their season and that makes sense. They're trying to win a world series.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)

I think he's been constantly injured. He got hit in the face with a pitch last year, there was a hand injury this year. A guy like Zobrist is so versatile, I don't think it really blocks Baez that much. Plus, the Cubs FO mantra appears to be acquire as many good batters as you can and let the roster figure itself out, they move guys around so much day in and day out just to keep them in the lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Last year they didn't come into the season thinking they were a world series contending team. Signing Zobrist was pricey but sensible for a world series contending team. It's the opposite of counting on Avisail Garcia and getting burned when he isn't a contributor - they weren't going to risk something like that derailing their season and that makes sense. They're trying to win a world series.

Correct, but to compare Baez and Avi as prospects is beyond ridiculous. Baez was a top 10 prospect in the game. Top 5 by many. Most teams don't sign a guy or guys that could keep that prospect blocked for several years. If Schwarber was around, he probably plays even less. I doubt Theo was anticipating year ending injuries the first week of the season.

All I am saying is if they were sold on him being a great player, they don't acquire blockage. They create a spot for him whether they are trying to win a WS or not. Or if they think he will initially struggle , they may sign some sort of stopgap. Not a guy like Zobrist.

He certainly didn't spend much money on his bullpen. I don't look at that part of the team as say this looks like the bullpen of a WS winner.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Correct, but to compare Baez and Avi as prospects is beyond ridiculous. Baez was a top 10 prospect in the game. Top 5 by many. Most teams don't sign a guy or guys that could keep that prospect blocked for several years. If Schwarber was around, he probably plays even less. I doubt Theo was anticipating year ending injuries the first week of the season.

All I am saying is if they were sold on him being a great player, they don't acquire blockage. They create a spot for him whether they are trying to win a WS or not. Or if they think he will initially struggle , they may sign some sort of stopgap. Not a guy like Zobrist.

He certainly didn't spend much money on his bullpen. I don't look at that part of the team as say this looks like the bullpen of a WS winner.

Super spot on post. No debating any of that really. And like you said, there's a very very very likely chance he would get exposed if he played every day. Methinks they have been protecting him from good RHP exposure to flip him at the deadline.

Went to the local sporting goods store today here in the Quad Cities.

Almost ZERO White Sox stuff. Heck, they're even cross-merchandising with the University of Iowa on these "This is the Year" shirts with the two logos together.

Only Sox jersey I saw was a bunch of unsold Abreu's (replicas). Not even a Sale, Frazier, Quintana or Eaton to be found.

Cubs had Arrieta, Bryant, Rizzo, as expected....but the crazy thing is a couple of stores even had Soler, Heyward and Joe Maddon #70 jerseys. A manager's jersey over Chris Sale?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Super spot on post. No debating any of that really. And like you said, there's a very very very likely chance he would get exposed if he played every day. Methinks they have been protecting him from good RHP exposure to flip him at the deadline.

The other thing is he makes my point for me even though he is trying to argue. If they thought Baez was a top 10 can't miss prospect, isn't that the type of player that helps you make the playoffs?

I agree. They are trying to make people think he is close to untouchable, but there actions speak louder than words, and the longer they hang on to him, and don't play him every day, the lower his trade value goes. I think he is their main chip at the deadline as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
The other thing is he makes my point for me even though he is trying to argue. If they thought Baez was a top 10 can't miss prospect, isn't that the type of player that helps you make the playoffs?

I agree. They are trying to make people think he is close to untouchable, but there actions speak louder than words, and the longer they hang on to him, and don't play him every day, the lower his trade value goes. I think he is their main chip at the deadline as well.

Not at age 23.

You didn't like the previous comparison? Carlos Rodon is 23. 23 year olds struggle sometimes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
IMO, Mets aren't going to make the postseason. Their offense has collapsed the last few months and their pitching staff is so beat up. Oh well, thanks for 2015

I think the Pirates make a run to get in. They have the easiest SOS the rest of the way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
IMO, Mets aren't going to make the postseason. Their offense has collapsed the last few months and their pitching staff is so beat up. Oh well, thanks for 2015

Thats fine, I just want to see the best of the best in the playoffs that are best suited to challenge the Cubs. This Met team isnt that for a playoff series.

Per Rotoworld:

Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan reports that the Cubs are close to acquiring Mike Montgomery.

Per Passan, first baseman Dan Vogelbach would likely be one piece heading back to Seattle in exchange for Montgomery. The 27-year-old southpaw has mostly pitched out of the bullpen this season and holds a strong 2.34 ERA and 54/18 K/BB ratio across 61 2/3 innings. He would figure to remain in the pen for the Cubbies, who have been rumored to be in the market for a reliever as they look to make their World Series push.

Vogelbach a piece I have long wanted from the Cubs since he has no future with an NL team. He is going to be a very solid DH for the next 10 years.