Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty exciting stuff, to say the least. I am very fearful that Anderson is not ready for this level, or at minimum we might have wasted the chance for him to develop into a more patience and higher contact hitter. If he has the talent and gets enough of an opportunity, he should be able to work through those things at this level. We'll find out.

On a lesser note, I wonder whether veteran FAs will begin to look at the Sox differently after seeing us repeatedly cut guys like Rollins, Latos, and some others in the recent past. On one hand, they get their money regardless, but on the other getting released like that mid-season is a possible death knell to an aging guy's career.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Yep.

I'm wondering if Hahn's decision to go with Anderson over Sanchez is partly because he's planning on dealing Sanchez closer to the deadline. Not that Sanchez is highly coveted or anything, but a packing containing him, Avi, and a decent prospect may be able to land a halfway decent bat.

Probably because they think Anderson is just better.

I hope Saladino continues to play fairly regularly, spelling the other 3; his D is sound, he's improving and we will have 2 infield openings in 2 years. Hopefully we won't fill those with 37 year olds or via jettisoning quality young hitters.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Guess this is a move people like. If he struggles will people blame KW for bringing him up too soon as a typical KW move.

LOL I will make sure to give Kenny his credit when Tim performs well.

Where do we go from here... another impact bat is obviously needed. Catcher / DH is the obvious upgrade. We have Morneau waiting to fill the DH role, but that doesn't mean we can't continue to go after a Bruce-type. But if we could get a Lucroy, that would be amazing. I could stomach a terrible platoon at DH then... but you'd have to figure there's a guy in the minors who can outproduced the clowns we currently have until Morneau comes up (in the scenario we get an upgrade at catcher).

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Pretty exciting stuff, to say the least. I am very fearful that Anderson is not ready for this level, or at minimum we might have wasted the chance for him to develop into a more patience and higher contact hitter. If he has the talent and gets enough of an opportunity, he should be able to work through those things at this level. We'll find out.

On a lesser note, I wonder whether veteran FAs will begin to look at the Sox differently after seeing us repeatedly cut guys like Rollins, Latos, and some others in the recent past. On one hand, they get their money regardless, but on the other getting released like that mid-season is a possible death knell to an aging guy's career.

I wouldn't think it's a big deal. They were given opportunities, and they failed. If someone is afraid to sign a 1 year contract because they might suck and get cut, no biggie. The problem to me is, it seems just about every single guy the Sox sign to these types of contracts have the same fate.

I do think the Sox did OK with Latos. They won most of the games he pitched. Rollins didn't put up numbers, but they still are in contention and perhaps his presence helped the young guys. Buehrle often spoke about how much David Wells helped him, so if these guys were paying attention, what they paid Rollins could have been well worth it in the long run.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't understand the front office's thinking here.

They certainly have gone to extremes here. First they want the veteran leadership, so they bring in a guy who is clearly "washed up".

Then they reverse course and bring up a kid who they admit is a little raw, and still learning. I wan't crazy about the Rollins acquisition and even less

in agreement with this one. It's too soon to be calling up Anderson. He is not a "savior" for what ails this team, and they are risking damaging his confidence.

If he becomes a really great player, it will very likely be in a couple of years. In the meantime, he should be getting much more experience in AAA.

His skill set is not what this team needs. He has no plate patience, which means that his OBP is not likely to be anywhere near .300 in the Big Leagues.

He is not an elite defensive SS, as I have stressed in prior posts. He isn't even a left handed bat, and certainly not a power hitter. So what exactly does he bring to the table, that suggests that he needs to be rushed to the Majors, in order to help right this "sinking ship"?

I dont like this move at all.

The kid needs some more time on the farm, this is a panic move that could really hinder Andersons development.

You can't really be surprised that you need a SS when you let your guy walk away and went dumpster diving for a replacement. Just not sure how the Sox were expecting more from the SS position than what they have gotten when they ignored it over the offseason.

I would rather have used Sanchez and Saladino at SS for the time being and give Anderson at least another month at AAA.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
I don't understand the front office's thinking here.

They certainly have gone to extremes here. First they want the veteran leadership, so they bring in a guy who is clearly "washed up".

Then they reverse course and bring up a kid who they admit is a little raw, and still learning. I wan't crazy about the Rollins acquisition and even less

in agreement with this one. It's too soon to be calling up Anderson. He is not a "savior" for what ails this team, and they are risking damaging his confidence.

If he becomes a really great player, it will very likely be in a couple of years. In the meantime, he should be getting much more experience in AAA.

His skill set is not what this team needs. He has no plate patience, which means that his OBP is not likely to be anywhere near .300 in the Big Leagues.

He is not an elite defensive SS, as I have stressed in prior posts. He isn't even a left handed bat, and certainly not a power hitter. So what exactly does he bring to the table, that suggests that he needs to be rushed to the Majors, in order to help right this "sinking ship"?

Unfortunately left handed bat middle of the line up, gold glove SS with OBP of .450 aren't available at the present time.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
If he becomes a really great player, it will very likely be in a couple of years. In the meantime, will be getting incessantly booed and cursed in a month when hes hitting .220.

FIFY

Because if there are two things that Sox fans are good at, its setting unrealistic expectations and blasting the players when they don't meet those expectations.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Probably because they think Anderson is just better.

I hope Saladino continues to play fairly regularly, spelling the other 3; his D is sound, he's improving and we will have 2 infield openings in 2 years. Hopefully we won't fill those with 37 year olds or via jettisoning quality young hitters.

Anderson may be a better hitter than Saladino at this point. But he's not better defensively.

That said, I also hope that Saladino gets semi-regular play. I also hope he's used frequently as a late-inning defensive replacement.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
FIFY

Because if there are two things that Sox fans are good at, its setting unrealistic expectations and blasting the players when they don't meet those expectations.

Nah, it will be on Robin or Renteria or whoever is managing then for "not putting him in a position to succeed".