2016-2017 NBA Thread

Summary of what George Carl said about Rajon Rondo earlier today on ESPN 1000 (copied from another forum):

Said Rajon is not one of the more difficult players he ever coached. said only issue was Rajon took possessions off on defense. Thanks we are better team then last year and Rodo was a underrated pickup.

Also that Rondo will voice his opinion and expects players to be held accountable.. One of the smartest players he ever coached. Worked on his 3 point shot alot last year.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
I don't totally know what it means, but they do not have Bird rights on Durant. My understanding is they basically can't keep Iggy if the cap is 102 and they take close to the max.

Having Bird rights basically means you have the right to re-sign a free agent EVEN if it means going over the cap.

So, because the Golden State Warriors do not have Bird rights for KD, they must clear out $35 million in cap space to re-sign him to a max contract.

My understanding is GSW has to clear the space first (Iggy), then sign KD, THEN sign Curry, as the Warriors do have Curry's Bird rights.

Edited by Deadpool

I'm honestly not expect two max players. Maybe they don't get CP3 and they instead get a guy like Griffin or trade for Cousins or even Westbrook. Maybe these three stars surprise us and mesh. Maybe they don't and Rondo leaves and we nab a star PG. Well see. I can say I'm 100% more confident in landing a star this way than not signing Rondo and Wade.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm honestly not expect two max players. Maybe they don't get CP3 and they instead get a guy like Griffin or trade for Cousins or even Westbrook. Maybe these three stars surprise us and mesh. Maybe they don't and Rondo leaves and we nab a star PG. Well see. I can say I'm 100% more confident in landing a star this way than not signing Rondo and Wade.

I agree...I think two is unlikely, but I think we can get one and that makes us a pretty damn competitive team, imo. One that could be the right break or just one more move away from actually winning a title. A lot of this is a who the hell knows, but still, I feel better about next year today than I did a week ago.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
I agree...I think two is unlikely, but I think we can get one and that makes us a pretty damn competitive team, imo. One that could be the right break or just one more move away from actually winning a title. A lot of this is a who the hell knows, but still, I feel better about next year today than I did a week ago.

A week ago, this team had a 0% chance to land one next year. Now? I'm not sure but I like these odds a lot better.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
Having Bird rights basically means you have the right to re-sign a free agent EVEN if it means going over the cap.

So, because the Golden State Warriors do not have Bird rights for KD, they must clear out $35 million in cap space to re-sign him to a max contract.

My understanding is GSW has to clear the space first (Iggy), then sign KD, THEN sign Curry, as the Warriors do have Curry's Bird rights.

I know the basic idea of the Bird rule, I'm just not sure how teams get around that so often. Plenty of guys get traded and then signed later.

For instance, why isn't Cleveland screwed right now? LeBron has only been there for 2 years and their payroll is at 76.8 without him. Is it different with an opt-out? Am I missing some other technicality? That's what I'm not sure about.

Edit- I guess trades don't count, only FA. That's part of it. Lebron qualifies as an "early Bird", meaning he can make up to 175% of his previous salary. However, a "non-Bird FA" also appears to be a thing, and that would imply that Durant can get 120% of his previous salary. So now I'm confused there.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
Interesting nugget on Niko. After he came back from his surgery, he shot 44.5% from 3 on 137 attempts...6.3 attempts per game.

As a reference point, Curry shot 45.4% on 11 attempts per game.

I brought that up earlier. Been drinking a lot of kool aid today thinking about how this could actually be a good team. I think Niko is the key.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Summer league starting up soon. Wish we could have signed zipser before.

Yeah.... nuthin like good oooooooollllll' summer league.

...and good ooooooollllllll' zipser....

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Yeah.... nuthin like good oooooooollllll' summer league.

...and good ooooooollllllll' zipser....

Summer league is actually awesomely entertaining. Theres always some fat balding dude who is a part time mailman and awkward gigantic 7ft dudes who clearly have no coordination or basketball skill. I love it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Summer league is actually awesomely entertaining. Theres always some fat balding dude who is a part time mailman and awkward gigantic 7ft dudes who clearly have no coordination or basketball skill. I love it.

I love summer league. A buddy and I are actually thinking about going next year. Fun excuse to go to Vegas too.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
Nope. They're going after vet pgs for the MLE. Lawson, Vazquez, Jack, etc.

I'd like Vazquez for this team.

I wanna see Valentine play the 6th man role and get time at PG and SG. From what I've read and saw, passing is his best attribute.