Billy Pierce Dies at 88

shysocks

I'm stunned right now. Billy was a good friend, we spent a lot of time talking about baseball and the old days.

I've got to write an obit piece for the Chicago Baseball Museum, I'll post the link here when it is published.

Just a bad day but Billy lived a long time, had a great life. I will miss my friend.

Mark

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
When the Sox play the cubs in August wasn't one team going to wear banks number and the other Minnine's? Hopefully Sox change and have the pitchers wear Pierce's number.

The Cubs wore 14 for the last game at Wrigley. The Sox are wearing 9 for the August 14 game.

I like your idea, but I doubt they change anything.

RIP Billy. I had the fortunate opportunity to caddie to Billy at golf outing in the 90s. He was a class act and as a Sox fan I enjoyed listening to old baseball stories in the down time of the round, which in an outing there is plenty of. We lost one of the great ones today.

He came to Sox in 1949 for an obscure catcher named Aaron Robinson. Perhaps the greatest Sox trade ever. His big disappointment was not playing in the 1959 World Series; never understood Al Lopez' logic on that one.

He did appear in 1962 WS with Giants.

Class act.