Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
From your keyboard to our monitor...
Another quality post today, this time from the Cubs scam their fans again thread... QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:45 AM) -The knothole won't have a view, like the Cubs said it would. -The Club won't be accessible to "regular" season ticketholders, it will be sold separately as a luxury suite. -The new bleacher seats will cost $60 or $20 more per game than the regular old bleachers. -The ballhawks are going to be SOL. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines
-
Criteria For Choosing a College
QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:44 AM) Any suggestions as far as internships and stuff that could helpful. Also, did you want to get play-by-play jobs or sports radio jobs, or both? Everyone I have talked about sports broadcasting says you need to know someone or get extremely lucky and that talent a lot of times won't win out. Are these statements true? I would agree at least 100%. The funny thing is that I majored in econ and had no interest in broadcasting as a career. I just got lucky and was attached to an incredible HS hoops team (almost a modern day Milan, for IN HS basketball fans) combined with our college radio station being simulcast over one of the cable TV stations in town which meant a bunch of people heard my calls of games. At the college level take advantage of every chance to connect with people from other stations. Talk to anyone and everyone before, during, and after games... coaches, players, other broadcasters, interested parents etc. You never know who knows someone, and it is all about being connected. Talent is nice and all, but a lot of people have talent. Getting off the ground is rough in sportscasting, I won't lie to you. But you control for the most part how far you can go. You can be involved, make connections, get lots of practice etc.
-
Criteria For Choosing a College
QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:09 PM) I think Mizzou is the best journalism school in the country along with Northwestern. That is probably journalism combined, so for broadcast others might be better. I am also trying to pick a school. So my list is: 1. Mizzou (got in + lots of $$) 1. Northwestern (will hear in mid-march) 3. Wisconsin (got in) 4. Illinois (got in, my favorite school by far for sports, too) 5. Syracuse (will hear in mid-march) 6. Indiana (got in) I want to be a sports broadcaster. Ideally, a play-by-play announcer, which I have been doing for four years in high school. But, I realize it is nearly impossible to get play-by-play jobs, so I will settle for sports talk show host or sports writer. For those reasons, Mizzou and NU are my top choices. My parents want me to choose Mizzou, wonder why? But, I will make that decision when I hear from Northwestern. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Good luck with that... That job route is a b****. I broadcast basketball and football for 3 years in college and got many job offers, but they were all for minimum wage in small towns. The only big town offer I got was for an entry level engineer position with a chance to fill in some shows to work into broadcasting. Its rough.
-
Cheney shoots Quail Hunter
QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:18 AM) A $7 quail stamp? But, he didn't shoot a quail, he shot a lawyer. How much is that stamp? Or do they pay you? That is by far the funniest joke I have heard so far out of all of this... With this kind of material, you would think people would be a little less predictable.
-
From your keyboard to our monitor...
From the thread about Cheney shooting a fellow quail hunter. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 07:21 PM) Hehe, turns out Cheney was hunting illegally. He will be issued a warning citation. (Carries no fine or penalty). But I can still taunt!
-
Valerie Plame was Working on Iran
So our intelligence agencies are now leaking the top secret information that she was supposedly looking at? When does the investigations into these leaks start?
-
Official Torino Olympics Thread
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:40 PM) I was watching it too. I honestly have no clue what the sweeping does. I assume it speeds up the rock though. It melts the ice, which smooths it out and gives a path for the stone to do down. Its the same idea as when you zamboni the ice between periods.
-
Official College Basketball Thread
I have been lucky enough to see plenty of future NBAers at the High School level. Greg Oden is so far and away better than anyone else I have seen at 18 it isn't even funny. I did get to see guys like Jarred Jeffires, Bryce Drew, Zach Randolph, Lee Nailon, and some other guys who ended up being as highly rated, but huge busts such as Charles Macon. Greg Oden is going to be a star.
-
Best Presidents
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:26 PM) My favorite Wally Pleasant song is "The Day Ted Nugent Killed All The Animals." Excellent. You are the first person that I have ever talked to who knows who Wally is that either didn't go to Manchester College, or have me play the songs for them... Another favorite of mine is "I hate cops" where he does the imitation of Peter Paul and Mary's "If I had a hammer"
-
Bobby Jenks
Just one thing i would like to throw in here... A change up isn't about how fast/slow you throw it. It is to be a variation off your fastball to get a batter guessing. It is supposed to look like a fastball and just be 10-12 mph slower to make you think. It doesn't matter if it is 70mph or 80 mph, all that matters is that it looks like your fastball, but is a notch slower.
-
what reporter does the best job covering the sox?
Hell to be honest I think Cheat does a better job than almost anyone else who reports on the Sox.
-
Best Presidents
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:56 PM) Remember Fretblanket? Not off of the top of my head. One I still listen to is Wally Pleasant. Dude was kind of a mix between a folk singer and wierd al. Good stuff. If you ever get the chance to hear "Stupid Day Job" do it.
-
Who says Indiana is cheaper
I know I just paid $26 to renew my licence... 4 years ago it was $8.
-
Best Presidents
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:53 PM) WOW! Nice reference! I hardly remember that "hit." It was all from the era where I was program director at our college station. We got sent a whole bunch of promo CDs like that, and I fell in love the the Presidents... There are a few others that no one ever heard of too, that did some really cool stuff.
-
Best Presidents
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:31 PM) Let me guess, you are eating a can of peaches right now. While driving in my Mach 5
-
ESPN Report: Sham-me Sosa Retires
- White House knew NOLA levees broke
QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:13 PM) Typical. Oh so typical. Nagin and Blanco are 5 times more at fault for what happened there than Bush is. And she did... anyone remember her refusing to turnover control of the state resources to the President?- Best Presidents
I was totally into these guys in college, By far my favorite presidents.- Verizon or Sprint?
QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:57 PM) It seems like all cell phone companies are that way. It's almost like once they have your money, it's doesn't matter anymore. I had Verizon for a grand total of 15 days. On the 15th day I called and cancelled because US Cellular finally decided to give me a decent deal on the phone I wanted. It was one of those "try it out for 15 days" deals. Now I'm fighting with them because they sent me a $700 bill that had termination fees on it even though I cancelled within the 15-day period. I'll never go back to them again. Cingular did the samething to me except they have all of the customer service people not use their real names so that it is more difficult to track them down. It was a nightmare.- Google halved?
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:11 AM) If I had some money to invest right now, it'd be firmly on shorting Google. Remember when Yahoo was 300 dollars a share? ^ Except it would have been a perfect short after their earnings disappointed. Its already bled $50 a share since then. But I still think it has a long way to go.- Worst Presidents
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:05 AM) Wow. ^ And throw in a :headshake- Google halved?
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle....OCKS-GOOGLE.xml No big surprise here.... Stock has been way overvalued for a while now.- Cheney shoots Quail Hunter
I just don't get what Dick has against his VP bretheren? http://www.quaylemuseum.org/- Criteria For Choosing a College
I noticed that you have a lot of small schools on your list, and having went to a small school I want to give you this advice.... unless you plan on staying in that area after you finish college, don't go to one of those schools. The repuation of your degree is only as good as someone else knows it is, and small schools tend not to mean much outside of their region. If it comes down to you and another guy, the hiring manager is going to hire someone he knows that has a degree for a solid program vs a school he has never heard of.- Official Torino Olympics Thread
Anyone else watch any of the womens hockey over the weekend? My observations... Canada is really good, but they are in the worst pool ever. They are going to pay for it when they start playing in the medal round games. The USA is solid, and has an incredible power play. They move the puck so well, and get great shots. I couldn't believe for a country with so many great male hockey players, that Russia was as bad as they were. They were almost as bad as Italy, who only made it in because they're the host country. - White House knew NOLA levees broke