TV and Netflix Thread

hi8is

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Amazon, I would recommend Orphan Black and The Man in the High Castle. Also, the one season series Betas. It reminded me on Silicon Valley...I was disappointed it wasn't renewed.

Over on Netflix, a couple older shows that I would recommend are Parks and Recreation and Freaks and Geeks. Freaks and Geeks is another show that I wish had multiple seasons.

Watch Narcos, which might be the best Netflix original ever. The story follows the rise of Pablo Escobar and the DEA agents trying to bring him down. It ranks right up there with House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, & Stranger Things.

If you have Starz, then definitely watch The Missing. It's about couple whose son goes missing while vacationing in France and their search for answers. While tonally different, it's a limited series and is structured a bit like True Detective in terms of storytelling. Easily one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

While not a newer show, I'll throw the one I'm watching right now which is Band of Brothers. I just watched the first three episodes and it's incredible. Somewhat similar feel to Saving Private Ryan, but as a 10 hour miniseries it can go into much more depth in terms characters and storytelling. And it's crazy how many familiar actors are in it. Great series so far.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)
Watch Narcos, which might be the best Netflix original ever. The story follows the rise of Pablo Escobar and the DEA agents trying to bring him down. It ranks right up there with House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, & Stranger Things.

If you have Starz, then definitely watch The Missing. It's about couple whose son goes missing while vacationing in France and their search for answers. While tonally different, it's a limited series and is structured a bit like True Detective in terms of storytelling. Easily one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

While not a newer show, I'll throw the one I'm watching right now which is Band of Brothers. I just watched the first three episodes and it's incredible. Somewhat similar feel to Saving Private Ryan, but as a 10 hour miniseries it can go into much more depth in terms characters and storytelling. And it's crazy how many familiar actors are in it. Great series so far.

Oh no, you are about to experience the Band of Brother addiction for the first time. Its easily one of my favorite shows of all time and from now on when its on TV you WILL watch it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
No, because we have to talk about it after you finish. then we can go back to disagreeing

1 episode left.

Love it love it love it.

I hope the ending is great.

Oh yeah forgot about Narcos! New season soon I think. Band of Brothers was great too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 05:34 AM)
Oh no, you are about to experience the Band of Brother addiction for the first time. Its easily one of my favorite shows of all time and from now on when its on TV you WILL watch it.

Yes. It is absolutely epic. Every few years I have to bust out the DVD and just start going through them all again. Such an amazing amazing series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)

BoB is amazing and I watch it at least once every year. The Pacific is also great. People think it's the lesser of the two, but I think that's just due to the nature of covering 6-8 guys in Easy Company through their involvement in the war vs. three random guys through theirs.

Band of Brothers was simply fantastic. While not as great, The Pacific was still wonderful - dive into that next. Rami Malek (Mr. Robot lead actor) is in The Pacific.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
there is no letdown

I've finished watching, and I have to say I really really enjoyed it.

Anyone that has not finished or watched Stranger Things, STOP READING.

Spoilers below.

The entire series was great, it had a bit of a "Fringe" aspect to the show I loved, without going into much detail or bothering trying to explain it. I loved the mysteriousness of not going into too much convoluted explanation.

The ending can serve as either a cliffhanger OR a finish to the show, which doesn't bother me...though I hope they continue it if they can keep it's quality high.

The sets and the 80's feel were brilliant all around, really well done.

If there was one thing I wasn't fond of, it was Elevens sudden sacrifice at the end despite the tease with Hopper leaving the waffles for her at the end. If the show doesn't continue, I would have preferred to see her one final time...she was such a great character to the show...but if it does continue, ignore this "complaint".

One of the coolest moments toward the end was when Hopper and Joyce were walking through the mirror dimension and the lights were igniting in their wake...them actually showing that moment was awesome.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I've finished watching, and I have to say I really really enjoyed it.

Anyone that has not finished or watched Stranger Things, STOP READING.

Spoilers below.

The entire series was great, it had a bit of a "Fringe" aspect to the show I loved, without going into much detail or bothering trying to explain it. I loved the mysteriousness of not going into too much convoluted explanation.

The ending can serve as either a cliffhanger OR a finish to the show, which doesn't bother me...though I hope they continue it if they can keep it's quality high.

The sets and the 80's feel were brilliant all around, really well done.

If there was one thing I wasn't fond of, it was Elevens sudden sacrifice at the end despite the tease with Hopper leaving the waffles for her at the end. If the show doesn't continue, I would have preferred to see her one final time...she was such a great character to the show...but if it does continue, ignore this "complaint".

One of the coolest moments toward the end was when Hopper and Joyce were walking through the mirror dimension and the lights were igniting in their wake...them actually showing that moment was awesome

I dont see how this show isnt picked up for multiple more seasons, but I definitely was thinking she was going to show up at the Snow Ball that mike invited her to

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)

I dont see how this show isnt picked up for multiple more seasons, but I definitely was thinking she was going to show up at the Snow Ball that mike invited her to

It will be picked up for more seasons.

And good call on the Snow Ball!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Band of Brothers was simply fantastic. While not as great, The Pacific was still wonderful - dive into that next. Rami Malek (Mr. Robot lead actor) is in The Pacific.

That's the plan. Finished Band of Brothers yesterday and it definitely met the hype. Absolutely loved the two episodes in Bastogne, some of the best TV ever made IMO. Can't wait for The Pacific next.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
That's the plan. Finished Band of Brothers yesterday and it definitely met the hype. Absolutely loved the two episodes in Bastogne, some of the best TV ever made IMO. Can't wait for The Pacific next.

Just talking about Bastogne makes me want to put in the ole DVD's and watch again (if I can even find them).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
The Pacific is like 10% as good as BOB. If it didn't follow BOB it would've been a fine show, but BOB is a top 5/10 show ever so it was a tough act to follow.

I agree.

BoB also led me to read a bunch of the other stories from that group of guys as well as watch them speak in the documentary, its all great.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 04:07 AM)
I would suggest Documentary Now and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Also Comedy Bang Bang.

I checked out Comedy Bang Bang after Weird Al started on it. It was different, but it did grow on me once I got to know the personalities.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 04:07 AM)
I would suggest Documentary Now and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Also Comedy Bang Bang.

You have impeccable taste, sir. Unfortunately some things are just too damn weird to appeal to most (and I don't blame them) CBB especially. The podcast is my all-time favorite (tied with DLM). The Bill Hader episode (tv) is my go to, Jimmy Pardo is fantastic. (the fact that he's a Sox fan from Hometown is gravy)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 01:21 AM)
Started watching Limitless the series today on Netflix. It's good. Extends the story from the movie and even includes the past main actor in a supporting role. Well done.

I've loved Limitless on CBS. I just don't have the time to sit and watch TV much anymore.