2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

His slider is impressive, but he doesn't have overpowering velocity or stuff. I think he would be a very good comp pick, not sure about top 15. But then again, this is only the 2nd game I've ever seen him pitch.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to Eric Longenhagen's latest Fangraphs Audio and he seems to be in love with LHP David Peterson. He says him and McKay are essentially the same on the mound, and thinks he's a slam dunk top 10 talent. BA has him going #17 to Seattle.

Carson Cistulli loves Adam Haseley and Rooker.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2017/5/17/156...s-baseball-ncaa

Write up on David Peterson from an Astros' site. Seems he's now projected #10-20 instead of bottom 20's/low 30's where he started out months ago.

Reminds me of some of the same things we heard about the likes of Wacha and Nola coming out of college. Plus, he's a lefty. But his stuff is more reminiscent of Jose Quintana than, let's say, Madison Bumgarner.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 26, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
If the sox believe Burger can succeed at 3rd, similar to how they believe Collins will stick at catcher, would that make him an option for our pick?

Depends how much they like him. Schwarber was projected to be a late teens to mid-twenties pick by most of the mock drafts before the Cubs got him, and if a team likes a guy enough, or wants to try and save some money if their primary targets are gone (Gore, Haseley, Wright) Burger on an underslot deal could make a lot of sense. I think the bat will play, defensively he may not end up at 3B, but its not like it is a non-starter.

If you can get Burger underslot at 11 and then use the savings to get someone like Bubba Thompson out of his college commitment you really help put more talent into the system with a really high ceiling guy and a guy with a pretty high floor with a significant ceiling.

If the Sox can get one of their primary targets at 11, he would not be an option, but if you are dropping down into a second tier of prospects on your board, Burger provides solid value and could provide the cost savings you need to add a second first round level talent in the draft.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 26, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Depends how much they like him. Schwarber was projected to be a late teens to mid-twenties pick by most of the mock drafts before the Cubs got him, and if a team likes a guy enough, or wants to try and save some money if their primary targets are gone (Gore, Haseley, Wright) Burger on an underslot deal could make a lot of sense. I think the bat will play, defensively he may not end up at 3B, but its not like it is a non-starter.

If you can get Burger underslot at 11 and then use the savings to get someone like Bubba Thompson out of his college commitment you really help put more talent into the system with a really high ceiling guy and a guy with a pretty high floor with a significant ceiling.

If the Sox can get one of their primary targets at 11, he would not be an option, but if you are dropping down into a second tier of prospects on your board, Burger provides solid value and could provide the cost savings you need to add a second first round level talent in the draft.

If they go the underslot route, I wouldn't mind seeing them select Hiura at 11. Bat is as close to a sure thing as you can find, and his injury/defense concerns are overblown IMO — eventually he'll be able to at least hack LF.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 24, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
Any chance of the White Sox drafting Keston Hiura? Seems to be a polished hitter who should find a home in the OF. What are the knocks on him?

One of the main knocks on him is that he needs Tommy John surgery and he only played DH his final year so you can not really evaluate his fielding.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 11, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Kendall is falling pretty fast due to the strikeouts that will likely only get worse when facing more advanced pitching

I wouldn't hate Pavin Smith as a selection at #11. He is a pretty safe prospect and is very hard to strike out.

Problem with smith is that he is pretty much a 1b only in pro ball and not manyour coliege forster basemen had success at the majors.

He is a pretty safe hitter but the bar at first base is very high and if he only is an OK hitter he is a 1 WAR player so that position thing lowers his floor.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 26, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
If they go the underslot route, I wouldn't mind seeing them select Hiura at 11. Bat is as close to a sure thing as you can find, and his injury/defense concerns are overblown IMO — eventually he'll be able to at least hack LF.

Being called an Ian Happ clone. Rumors of him needing TJ sucks though as it sets back his development time.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ May 26, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
One of the main knocks on him is that he needs Tommy John surgery and he only played DH his final year so you can not really evaluate his fielding.

But his bat is very good and developed already, and the White Sox have a very difficult time developing hitters. Getting a hitter whose development needs to be mostly focused on finding a defensive home might not be the worst thing for this organization.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 26, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
I wonder if anyone has ever struck out that much in college and been a successful major leaguer.

Bryant struck out a lot in college, but he also walked a ton and had immense power. Another gripe I have with Kendall is that he has not improved as a hitter during his three years at Vandy. OPS freshman year was .924, sophomore year was .964 and this year .950.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 27, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Bryant struck out a lot in college, but he also walked a ton and had immense power. Another gripe I have with Kendall is that he has not improved as a hitter during his three years at Vandy. OPS freshman year was .924, sophomore year was .964 and this year .950.

Just look at his stance and swing, it's awful. Already took a guy last year with first pick that scouts are now concerned about his hitch (according to BA chat today)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 26, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)

Bryant's k rate was much lower than Kendall though (around 15%)

Because they're the gold standard until now for acquiring position player talent...lol.

Other than Jorge Soler and maybe Heyward, who have they been completely wrong on?

That's not to mention players with other organizations already like Gleyber Torres, DJ LeMahieu and Josh Donaldson.

Granted, Schwarber's a hot mess right now. If that's the argument, it's hardly time to write him off yet. Or Wilson Contreras struggling as well (if he didn't have those defensive tools, you could be MORE concerned). Addison Russell, same situation as Contreras playing a premium defensive position.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/le...ARBR/order/true

Of course, if you'd bet Avi, Leury and Alex Avila would be top 20 MLB WAR guys after two months, you'd have won about a billion dollars in a betting pool.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 26, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)

Baseball America seems to think Houston would not let him fall past them, so maybe he's not that much of a reach? I'm all for getting players that have a great hit tool into the org. The White Sox need as many of them as they can get. No more "toolsheds" who can't hit.