Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
No. Gurriel is an eliter hitter and put up similar numbers to Bregman in a similar number of games despite never playing American professional baseball before. The Astros had Bregma in the fold when they decided to go out and get Gurriel as an upgrade at the position. No way Lunhow gets away with paying that guy $50M to sit on the bench.

To me, its more likely that Bregman ends up in the Zobrist super utility role and plays a bunch of LF.

Gurriel has potential, but Bregman is not going anywhere

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Where are they going to play Bregman, especially if they bring in EE?

C - Stassi/McCann

1B - EE/McCann

2B - Altuve

SS - Correa

3B - Gurriel

LF - Beltran/Aoki

CF - Springer/Marisnik

RF - Reddick

DH - Gattis/EE/Beltran

I get them wanting to hold on to him, but I am not sure where he is making an impact in that lineup.

I am not a fan of getting Bregman, I feel he is being immensely overvalued for a SSS of production, I felt the same way about Turner. I would rather have quantity of quality rather than value wrapped up into fewer players.

C- Mcann/Gattis

1b- Gurriel/McCann

2b- Altuve

ss- Correa

3b- Bregman/Gurriel

LF- Aoki/Gurriel/Gattis

CF- Springer

RF- Reddick

DH- Beltran/Gattis

I think that's a lot more realistic. Doubt Stassi is in their lineup much/even on their 25 and Beltran is far from an everyday LF at this point in his career. Not sure about their chances of getting Encarnacion, but everything I'm reading is saying its far from assumed. Gattis and Aoki are going to be the low men on the totem pole....they will be able to find plenty of AB's for both Bregman and Gurriel between 1B/3B/and LF. So basically everyone just needs to forget about Bregman. Aint happening.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
C- Mcann/Gattis

1b- Gurriel/McCann

2b- Altuve

ss- Correa

3b- Bregman/Gurriel

LF- Aoki/Gurriel/Gattis

CF- Springer

RF- Reddick

DH- Beltran/Gattis

I think that's a lot more realistic. Doubt Stassi is in their lineup much/even on their 25 and Beltran is far from an everyday LF at this point in his career. Not sure about their chances of getting Encarnacion, but everything I'm reading is saying its far from assumed. Gattis and Aoki are going to be the low men on the totem pole....they will be able to find plenty of AB's for both Bregman and Gurriel between 1B/3B/and LF. So basically everyone just needs to forget about Bregman. Aint happening.

Yeah, I get they are not moving him. As I said, I don't have a lot of interest anyway. I just can't see them having McCann serve as their primary C on a regular basis at this point in his career, which is why I included Stassi. I still think they end up moving Bregman around 2B/SS/3B/LF on a daily basis, it allows them to get their guys regular rest and him everyday AB's without much positional disruption.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Yeah, I get they are not moving him. As I said, I don't have a lot of interest anyway. I just can't see them having McCann serve as their primary C on a regular basis at this point in his career, which is why I included Stassi. I still think they end up moving Bregman around 2B/SS/3B/LF on a daily basis, it allows them to get their guys regular rest and him everyday AB's without much positional disruption.

No place for Reed in the lineup, making him expendable in a trade for sure

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
How can you already designate Hansen, Dunning, and Fulmer as relievers? They have done nothing but start in the minors. Fulmer was great towards the end of the season in AAA too.

Simply stating that if our rotation was made up of those 5, we could still make room for them as relievers since they all throw heat. They would remain in the mix for starting spots if one of the 5 gets hurt, moved or doesn't pan out. Mostly my point was that would would be loaded with quality arms if you add that group into the mix. Surely enough to assemble a rock solid 5-man rotation.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
Huh? Burdi is definitely a reliever. Whichever other guys can't figure it out as a starter at the big league level will end up in the pen. With a lot of depth too, they can move arms for bats (like prospect for prospect type swaps later on).

Basically sums it up...yes Burdi is a reliever, but he'a a part of that core of great arms that will play into the mix. Many players have made the switch from reliever to starter--talent just falls into the right role sometimes. Having Quintana as a part of that group gives them the ace of aces (who will likely set the MLB record for career no-decisions by then if he hasn't already) that will serve as the vet leader.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Simply stating that if our rotation was made up of those 5, we could still make room for them as relievers since they all throw heat. They would remain in the mix for starting spots if one of the 5 gets hurt, moved or doesn't pan out. Mostly my point was that would would be loaded with quality arms if you add that group into the mix. Surely enough to assemble a rock solid 5-man rotation.

Basically sums it up...yes Burdi is a reliever, but he'a a part of that core of great arms that will play into the mix. Many players have made the switch from reliever to starter--talent just falls into the right role sometimes. Having Quintana as a part of that group gives them the ace of aces (who will likely set the MLB record for career no-decisions by then if he hasn't already) that will serve as the vet leader.

While Q would be nice to keep, we are seriously lacking in young position player talent and he could bring back a nice package for us

They should tank BIG time in 2016 in perfect time to select Seth Beer 1st overall in the 2018 mlb draft and then we are in business. The guy can flat out rake:

Year Team Lg Level # Org Pos Age Diff G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO HBP IBB SH SF GDP AVG OBP SLG OPS ISO secA Babip K/BB AB/HR TB PA

2016 Clemson ACC College 28 fr 19 62 203 57 75 13 0 18 70 1 0 62 27 15 0 4 6 .369 .535 .700 1235 .330 .640 .352 0.44 11.3 142 284

That was as a Freshman...

Sign me up to tank for that kind of talent in the outfield

Based on the Sale/Eaton trades, I'm semi-confident that the Sox ask is Martes, Tucker, Fisher, and Reed. If they don't get it, they should keep Q for the interim. Very plausible a team is even more desperate at the deadline & I see little injury risk for Quintana.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Soxtalk, because I care about you, I'm taking a hit for the team and am going to listen to the buster olney podcast for the Nightengale bits on Quintana.

I will report back.

So you're the reason Soxtalk crashed!?! Lesson here is never listen to Buster!

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Based on the Sale/Eaton trades, I'm semi-confident that the Sox ask is Martes, Tucker, Fisher, and Reed. If they don't get it, they should keep Q for the interim. Very plausible a team is even more desperate at the deadline & I see little injury risk for Quintana.

If we've learned anything from Cashman over the years, it's that he HATES playing 2nd fiddle to the Red Sox in the AL East. The Holiday & Chapman signings tell me that they definitely do NOT intend on rebuilding. They do have a stock pile of really nice prospects-- thanks to in part of the Chapman and Miller deals. With that said, I'm sure Hahn would LOVE to get his hands on Clint Frazier, Gleybor Torres AND Gary Sanchez. If the Yankees really want Quintana back, they better pony up. Hell, i'm sure Hahn would even throw David Robertson into the package. With the Astros seemingly holding onto their prospects like a creepy crazy cat woman hoarding wild felines, I expect the Yankees coming out of the woodwork for Q and this would be a tremendous scenario for the White Sox' system.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
If we've learned anything from Cashman over the years, it's that he HATES playing 2nd fiddle to the Red Sox in the AL East. The Holiday & Chapman signings tell me that they definitely do NOT intend on rebuilding. They do have a stock pile of really nice prospects-- thanks to in part of the Chapman and Miller deals. With that said, I'm sure Hahn would LOVE to get his hands on Clint Frazier, Gleybor Torres AND Gary Sanchez. If the Yankees really want Quintana back, they better pony up. Hell, i'm sure Hahn would even throw David Robertson into the package. With the Astros seemingly holding onto their prospects like a creepy crazy cat woman hoarding wild felines, I expect the Yankees coming out of the woodwork for Q and this would be a tremendous scenario for the White Sox' system.

I like your thinking here. My only hangup is with Sanchez being just 24 years old hitting 20HR in 229PA from the Catcher position in '16, the Yanks will put a high value on Sanchez which they should. If the Sox could get say, Sanchez/Frazier and one of Kaprielian or Clarkin, I would be pretty damn happy about that.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Soxtalk, because I care about you, I'm taking a hit for the team and am going to listen to the buster olney podcast for the Nightengale bits on Quintana.

I will report back.

Nightengale is very confident he gets moved. He thinsk they are determined to trade him but they think as highly of him as they do Sale. He expects up to 7 more players traded. He did mention that White Sox would have the payroll to be very active throughout with the 2018 Free Agent class.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 06:01 AM)
Nightengale is very confident he gets moved. He thinsk they are determined to trade him but they think as highly of him as they do Sale. He expects up to 7 more players traded. He did mention that White Sox would have the payroll to be very active throughout with the 2018 Free Agent class.

As deep as that class is, there are going to be quite a few teams left out in the cold. We'll likely be one of them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
As deep as that class is, there are going to be quite a few teams left out in the cold. We'll likely be one of them.

I hope not. That's right around the time when the Sox will need to add one or two pieces to round out a roster that should be semi-decent by 2019. Plus, fan interest will be at a low by then.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/2018...ree-agents.html

That is the list. It isn't a bad list but I do think except for Harper, Machado, and probably Kershaw, it is a bit overrated.

I don't think the Sox have even a slight shot at Harper or Kershaw. JR saving his money until then might be able to shock the world and get Machado, but the odds have to be huge against it. Donaldson will be 33 in 2019, which is almost considered a fossil these days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 06:40 AM)

That is the list. It isn't a bad list but I do think except for Harper, Machado, and probably Kershaw, it is a bit overrated.

I don't think the Sox have even a slight shot at Harper or Kershaw. JR saving his money until then might be able to shock the world and get Machado, but the odds have to be huge against it. Donaldson will be 33 in 2019, which is almost considered a fossil these days.

I agree. And I think Baltimore will do everything it can to retain Machado. Showalter has gone as far as saying he leaves if Machado leaves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)

The vast majority of those guys will be dinosaurs in 2018, but I could see us spending on somebody like Yasmany Tomás and a catcher.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)

Yes this exactly.

He also said Hahn wanted a rebuild as early as July ' 15.

Also he guessed Astros would trade for Q but wasn't based on actual sources just fit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)

Compare that class to this year though, lots of help especially Bullpen wise

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)

I'll take Frazier, Torres and Judge.